Help No Spark......

83starionT

Cannot get my 1983 starion to spark. This happened at the last drift event i was at. I was full rpms spinnin em and then she just died. No spark from the coil. When i have key on i have 12 volts on both sides of the coil. Brand new coil as well MSD. I tried to replaced the Gold ignition box with another but no luck. Repalced ECU with another and no luck. Replaced Dizzy with no luck. Im not sure what to do with this thing. I was considering going with the Fuel Injection Pro EDIS System. Any ideas please????????????????????????????????? Edited by 83starionT

Is your coil wire [plug wire] in good shape????? Stick a screw driver with nice rubber handle in the whole but not touching and have someone spin her over. If you have spark than its that coil wire........

No suck luck the wire OHMS out. And I replacede it with a known good wire.

Okay, did you still check for that spark like I said above. It's possible the cap or rotor may have took a dump on ya. Process of elimination baby!!!!!

Ok no spark on the screwdriver in the coil opening.

If the spark is not getting from the ignition coil to the dizzy then nothing will happen. I have checked for spark at all the plug wires and nothing. I will check the Screwdriver in the coil thing tho and see what happens.

Okay I tried bro! Maybe you can try a different coil now just to see. MSD coils are now made in China, so you know how that goes... If you got 12V at coil and the ground is good, and you have tried a new ignitor box than just keep scoping as I doubt it is a ECU problem....

Thanks man, I appreciate any input and help.

Okay I tried bro! Maybe you can try a different coil now just to see. MSD coils are now made in China, so you know how that goes... If you got 12V at coil and the ground is good, and you have tried a new ignitor box than just keep scoping as I doubt it is a ECU problem....

You said your car is a 83, right? They come with the lil' black ignitor knock box so yours has been converted, probably with a 88-89 ECU and injectors as well. I am not sure if you have to do anything with the wires when you switch boxes, but if so. A spliced wire may have come loose... Just a thought though.......

You said your car is a 83, right? They come with the lil' black ignitor knock box so yours has been converted, probably with a 88-89 ECU and injectors as well. I am not sure if you have to do anything with the wires when you switch boxes, but if so. A spliced wire may have come loose... Just a thought though.......

Nah 83's use a gold metal box, similar to the 88/89's.

Check to see if your ECU is getting a cranking pulse from the dizzy, two wire plug. You can also check this by cranking and if the fuel pump is running during cranking the ecu is receiving a signal, listen for the fuel pump, or use the fuel pump test plug (thick black wire with black plastic female spade connector style) near the MAS/air can area (on later cars, not sure about 83) and watch for voltage.

-Robert

Check your fusible links, wiggle them.

What he said, if the ECI fuse link is bad it won't fire. If the link stretches its bad, if the ends are crusty throw it out and get a NEW one. You can get new ones still or get fuse link wire and put the ends on it yourself but don't replace it with just a piece of wire.

The fusible links have all been pulled and checked with a meter and then re-installed, and then also rechecked with a meter for full continuity between the posts on the ECI terminal. We've also checked the Ignition module inside the distribtor(s) for correct OHMS that is stated in the manual.

If the fuel pump is running during cranking, then you know the ECU is getting the rpm signal from the distributor. Is fuel being injected during cranking though?

Just because the parts are new doesn't mean they're good! What is the resistance spec on the coil itself? Also, what MSD are you using? Do you still have the manual for it? It is possible to create spark with the MSD manually, so you're gonna want to make sure it works. Starts at page 9: http://www.msdignition.com/uploadedFiles/MSDIgnitioncom/Products/Ignitions/6420_instructions(1).pdf

Check the basics!

Edited by SFBMX88

I think it has to be the ignition module under the hood. Ive checked everything but that because not sure exactly how to test it. I replaced it with another unit but i believe it to be bad. Was wondering if anyone had that gold box under the hood for a 1983 that I could buy from them. I have tested the pickup in the distrubutor and it shows 1089 ohms. This box seems to be the only other thing that the manual is pointing towards. Please let me know if anything....Thanks!!!