FUTURE RIMS

VICE

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dont take this as offensive, but those strike me as trailer wheels

granted, some miata autox people have used the flat black ones for the offsets, though power/weight goes in there.

are those stock brakes? i was wondering if 15's would fit over them

Yes stock brake calipers tho I have Zinc Drilled and Slotted Disc rotors now.. I DID have to use 5mm Spacers on the front rims only to clear the outer Tie Rods and you can't even tell there's spacers in there. I want to get Re-manufactured Calipers some day and paint them red that would look real good.

So are those at all hubcentric or do you plan on snapping some wheel studs soon?

The second pic, you can see they are not hub centric

Bring on the vibrations, lol (and vibrate it will)

Seriously though, go get some hub centric rings. Find out what the hub bore of the wheels are (probably 73-73.1mm) and get some(our hubs are 67.1mm in case you didn't know)

I guess they are currently Lug Centric then... The Wheel goes into place as the Lug Nuts are tightened and it seems to be centered, no vibrations as I drive and I have even been up to 80-90 on the Highway already so, so far so good...

you need a set of rings that fits first over the stock bore, then it has to be thick enough to match the bore of the wheel. Stud centric seating of a wheel is not the right way to mount wheels, it ranks up there with missing a lug nut/stud. The wheel puts all of the forces of the road FIRST through the studs then through the hub, then into the spindle, where a hub centric design allows the rim to be seated perfectly on the hub of the wheel. Most manufacturers run hubcentric designs because its safer (my rx7's factory bbs's were very snug against the hub lip, always had to kick the wheel to get them to seperate, and to a degree so do my SQ wheels).

I may not agree with the choice of wheels, but do us the favor of at least running a set of hubcentric rings, chances are EBAY will NOT have them, you may have to go to a real tire shop or performance shop and see about getting a set of rings made.

The Center Bore of these Rims are more like 82.5 MM's (3 1/4 IN's) so I doubt the 73 MM thick Rings on the outside would make much difference, one thing these Wheels have is a Unique or Special Acorn Lug Pitch the Diamond Racing Wheels salesman or owner of the place told me and I would not be able to use any other Standard Acorn style lug nuts so I had to buy his special nuts lol with a 1 IN. drive and they perfectly center the Wheels as you tighten them in the correct Hexagon pattern, like I mentioned before I have not felt any vibrations and the ride feels just fine. Edited by VICE

you're missing the point VICE. it's not so much an issue with centering, but, carrying the load.

when a wheel is hubcentric, it means the hub carries the load, not the bolts. in you case, with out centering rings, all the load is being carried by your wheel stud.

normally the studs are meant to withstand a certain tensile force coupled with a much smaller sheer force. without having the centering rings, you're increasing the sheer force buy a very large amount. now will it work regardless? sure, it might, might not. you won't really know until your wheel falls off.

at the shop i used to work at, this dude came in because he had a missing wheel nut. turns out, he had two studs completely snapped off. the wheel nuts were over torqued, and he had incorrectly fitting wheels. those two variables snapped half of his wheel studs.

so, we are all just giving you the advice as a safety issue.

Edited by patra_is_here

unless the spacers were perfectly hubcentric as well, they will need an inner ring to make them hubcentric as well, which they should also have a 'hub' lip on those rings, then you need a ring to fit that. Cheap wheels are cheap for a reason, and from the sounds of it, youve got some funky physics happening to those front studs.

Edit: Upon further review of your pictures, there is STILL an area you can put a ring around on the front to make things hubcentric for the wheel.

Edited by InvolvedRotary

Hey U guys can call up the guys at Diamond Racing Wheels and dog on their design and product if you want lol, no vibrations, no funky business going on with these Wheels, they are Wheels designed with Racing in mind.. I will eventually get Funky Fresh New Studs just to be safe as well but I also don't even think these Rings are necessary with these Wheels..

Alright, dont listen to us. Some of us actually have spent considerable amounts of time researching suspension setups for cars that grip better than a SQ, some of us take our safety more seriously than others. But i'm telling you: IT IS UNSAFE to run without hubcentric rings. You can claim all you want, but those studs are under considerably more stress than they were designed for, and the guys that sold you those wheels, will tell you anything they want to sell em, which to be honest those look more like cheap knockoff Cragar wheels. Bet the center 'disc' of the wheel has 4 long bead welds holding it to the barrel of the wheel too.

I can also tell you that if you ever tried to track that car with the wheels as they are, any COMPETANT tech inspector will flag it and not let it run until its dealt with. No 'race' car runs with wheels bolted only to the studs like that, those wheels were designed with MUSCLE cars and trucks in mind, vehicles that have 'huge' hub lips compared to the starion.

I only sound harsh because I do not want misinformation spread about something as important as wheel fitment. Its a safety issue not a looks issue.

Edited by InvolvedRotary

Well the thickest 67.1 ID Rings in the OD are 76mm and I measured the diameter of these Wheels on the Hub and it's like 82.5 83mm so these rings wouldn't even work, I would have to get something completely custom done. I've seen some cool wheel spacer/adapters with custom sized Wheel Hub bases for both sides of the spacer/adapter, those would eliminate the need for these Hub Centric Rings and the 5mm Spacers I got on the front rims in order to clear the Outer Tie Rods. I still think these Wheels are very nicely designed -_- These are NOT Kragger wheels..

LET'S JUST HOPE THIS DOESN'T HAPPEN

Edited by VICE

They may not be Cragar branded but they are VERY similar to the Crager D Window wheels. But hey you gotta pay to play, custom hubcentric rings are what will be needed to be right.

http://www.jegs.com/images/photos/260342.jpg

As for the link, the REAL story behind that is the shop that the guy bought the wheels/tires from installed the wrong lug nuts and just torqued em on. Then after driving from t he shop to the event, loosened the lugs, and then thats what happens when the wrong parts are installed. Dude got new studs and stuff afterwards IIRC as it was a shop fubar.

Edited by InvolvedRotary

Yes they are very similar to Kragars but they can also do different Offsets since they are building them from scratch, Kragar does not, these have a 45 degree taper racing lug nuts you have to use and the rims are made with the pitch specifically for these nuts, Kragar does not.. I might be the first person to test these on a SQ too and I don't mind being a ginny pig (I'm part Italian) ginny lol, I got the idea and heard of these people from another member on herre..

DIAMOND RACING WHEELS

Edited by VICE

So they can make you differant offsets but they cant give you a proper sized hub hole?

Cragars (Note, its spelled C R A G A R with a C like Cat)also have differing offsets, its called asking, ANY wheel manufacturer will have multiple offsets for a given wheel design. However most of the wheels offered at 'stores' are made for fitting honda's, mustangs, and camaros.

Though whats so special about these lug nuts besides you HAD to buy them in order to mount the wheels? Lug nuts are lug nuts, the only way they fall off is if you dont torque em down properly.

Btw, with a forum tool called spell check right in the corner of these posting boxes, one would assume the word guinea pig would get spelled proper.

Being the first person to test a fugly set of wheels when you HAD a very nice set of SHP's only speaks volumes of the inner desire to further ruin what once looked like a very nice and clean car.

I guess the last thing I can nitpick, since it seems thats all i'm doing at this point, is WHY a 15" wheel in what I can only assume to be a smaller width than the SHP's? Personally I want as much rubber underneath me as I can fit without poking or eating fender, but hey its just short a chevy 350 from being completely rednecked so have at it.

I know how to spell, mein, maybe you should put a Space between your Site Name or maybe even a dash, trust me I am always within good Grammar unless I am being funny. I don't think Hub size is an option for these wheels, they are 15x8's all around as previously stated, 225's currently on all fours BUT I demand thicker, yes thicker is better and I see it that way as well so next set of tires will be as follows: 245's on the fronts and 255's on the rears.. Now let's hear some more hating on the subject.. :) Batter up. KRAAGGEERRRRR.. Ginny is in fact a proper term, as well as Guinea a region, city, whatever it might be in Africa, you should look up the meaning's and history of these words while your at it. Cry me a river people, I sold my SHP's wah wah wah.... My SQ looks mean and I love it, I don't intend on placing it on Ebay at a buy it now for $15 Grand either lol.. Oh and I heard a wise man once say: "Assumption is the mother of all f-- ups"... For 10 points name the reference of that quote! Edited by VICE