Got a titcket for illegal tint SUX

jwrape

I'm sitting in my G35 at a side road waiting to get onto Hwy 11. I have to wait till the cop goes by for me to pull out, he flips his blinker on like he's gonna turn down the road where I'm at so I go ahead and pull out slowly....

He flips on his lights and spins around in the middle of the road.

It takes me a few hundred feet to get to a place where I can pull over and he takes his time coming up to my bumper. The whole time I'm trying to think what I did wrong, I wasn't speeding, i didn't pull out fast, I have a registered tag, so what is it????

"Wait.....my windows......." I flipped both windows down real quick......

He gets out of his car and as he walks up he feels my tail lights as he walks by. I suppose he was feeling the tint on the taillights that surround the lights but don't cover them and then he says " I see you rolled down your windows, Roll it back up" i do and he sticks the little gadget ontop of the window and it reads 8%..... hell I was told they were 12% when I bought the car 3 weeks ago, didn't know it was 8% and still don't believe it is, I think his machine is wrong cause my friend has 2% on his truck and you can't even see out of it in the day, mine you can see perfectly.

Anyways, I told him I just bought the car 3 weeks ago and I handed him the bill of sale........I got the ticket $87.... The cop was so arragant(<spelling). I think he pulled me over cause of the car I was driving not cause my windows.

I bet he saw the car and thought he would get this guy cause he's got a nice sporty car.....

Man I can't stand cops sometimes...... Not all of them but some of them are not human. I don't speed and I don't do anything else wrong, leave me alone about my tint......

For the record, i know it's illegal, I know I have no right to say anything but it's a stupid law. So I rant.

My first starion had stupid dark tint on it. I got pulled over.. but the cop was nice enough to tell me yo remove it and come to the station and show him and he will tear up the ticket and not turn it in.

sucks man :(

fight the ticket, it's not illegal if you just purchased the car, he touched the taillight to leave his fingerprints in case you decided to shoot his arrogant as-.

He'll just say that I had it for 3 weeks, and that's plenty of time to get it replaced.

not like you knew the tint was in violation - get another officer to check it to verify that his instrument was correct, and if it is, get the tint fixed, bring it to court and they'll pretty much just throw it out

not like you knew the tint was in violation - get another officer to check it to verify that his instrument was correct, and if it is, get the tint fixed, bring it to court and they'll pretty much just throw it out

Nah, I knew it was at least 12%..... There's no argument to fight it...Just gotta pay it.

Depends on the state. TX is hard about that. And they'll just say there are any number of places to have the tint % checked at. I think in any state it is ALWAYS the responsibility of the new car owner to ensure that car meets the rules and regulations.

Sucks, but that's what the judge will say.

I loved MI when it was just a R&R ticket. Strip the tint off, show em it was gone, pay nothing. Then I'd stop at Walmart on the way home, get more tint, retint the windows, and roll around fine for months again.

They changed it to a fine (probably because lots of people did the same thing I did), so I started keeping it leagal. I do the same down here in TX. I just don't need the hassle.

Yep. Just go have a tint shop re-do it all at the legal limit, it's got to be pretty low down south where you are, up here it's like 50% legal limit. Everyone does 35% though and they do sometimes get pulled over for it.

Yep. Just go have a tint shop re-do it all at the legal limit, it's got to be pretty low down south where you are, up here it's like 50% legal limit. Everyone does 35% though and they do sometimes get pulled over for it.

It's 35% legal here but most people run 20% and never get pulled over for it. I guess 8% is a little much not to get pulled over. LOL

It's 35% legal here but most people run 20% and never get pulled over for it. I guess 8% is a little much not to get pulled over. LOL

i had like 3% all the way round.... was like the windows were painted with flat black paint....

I've never heard of a ticket for it. Most places give you a safety repair order...you have 10 days to fix it, and take it to the station and show them you fixed, and its a done deal.

If you don't fix it.....then you get the ticket.

Also...many places, if you buy a vehicle...same thing, you have 10 days to fix whatever is wrong on it.

Here in FL...windshield can't have any besdies the strip at the top...side windows have to be 35%...and, all the rest of the windows (rear side, back)...could be painted over...it doesn't matter.

Also...was that cop a state cop? Or local cop? Most state cops do feel that they can't let anything slide...why I don't know.

jason, where were you at? im guessing you were right here at home and it was a walton county. ive been seeing a ton of walton county over here by my house at applebees and longhorn just sitting around and if nothing else it seems likethere is a ton of them in this area. not sure why but.....

my neighbor applied to the police dept. a while back for a job and he said they were looking for revenue to pay for all the dodge chargers. makes perfect sense. also im sure you know but beware of state patrols on 78. one got me for speeding a while back but gave me a warning.

20% is pretty annoying in not well light areas at night, no matter what age you are

We put 35% tint on, so we wouldn't have to deal with cop BS like that. Installer said that the film itself is 35%, but when it's on the glass it goes down to 33% so their fancy machine will still claim it's illegal.

My friend girlfriend has 20% (illegal) tint on, she said she's been pulled over many times for it but she had a doctor give her a "light sensitivity" BS thing or something like that... I wasn't really listening because she talks too much. It's a tad too dark for me, looks good though.

-Robert

The national standard on tint is 35% on front door windows. The rest of the windows(rear doors and back glass) can be painted black as far as legality is concerned. Now the windshield is what gets most people. Any tint other than a factory sun strip up top is illeagle. most cops will leave it alone unless its gaudy looking asking to pulled over.... like the ricers with the body color strip halfway down the windshield. That will get tagged in a heartbeat.

the machine that they use to check tint is accurate within +/-5%.... go to your optometrist and say that you have sensitive eyes and that you need the tint to help with glare and visibility...and he can write you a prescription for darker tint...

i have a signed note in my car saying i can have darker tint cause of the pigment of my eyes... and that im REQUIRED to have it darker as a safety precaution...

So he was arrogant for performing his job as he should have?

Regardless of what reasoning you think he used in pulling you over you clearly knew it was illegal (which is why you rolled them down) and as you had three weeks to fix it.

I don't think you should be mad at the cop. I think you should be mad at yourself here.

Or the previous owner for selling you a car with illegal tint.

The national standard on tint is 35% on front door windows. The rest of the windows(rear doors and back glass) can be painted black as far as legality is concerned. Now the windshield is what gets most people. Any tint other than a factory sun strip up top is illeagle. most cops will leave it alone unless its gaudy looking asking to pulled over.... like the ricers with the body color strip halfway down the windshield. That will get tagged in a heartbeat.

Some states won't allow the front door windows to be done at all, or will only allow a strip at the top. MI is this way- Front door windows could have a strip as dark as you wanted that could come no lower than 4" from the top of the glass, same with the windshield. Any windows behind the front seats could be tinted fully and as dark as you wanted. I always got away with windshield strips that were 6", and ran my front windows completely tinted but usually with 50 or 35% and never got hassled much.

Of course, back in the day when I'd run limo all the way around, I got hassled a LOT. That was back when it was just a R&R ticket so I'd strip it, get the ticket signed off, then retint. At one point, my GTI had 5% limo all the way around, and I even had strips of limo at the top and bottom of my windshield. An 8' strip across the middle of the windshield was the ONLY glass in the car that wasn't tinted.

Here in TX, it's the same 35% as it is in MOST of the country for front door windows, and they meter it every year at inspection, so I'm going to run my tint legal down here, I'm happy with the 35% front doors and limo everywhere else.

The one thing I don't like about TX tint laws is the windshield law. If you tint the top of the windshield , it can't come lower than the AS1 line in the glass. On some cars that's fine, like my Z. It's AS1 line is low enough that I got a 6" strip at the top of it's windshield. The AS1 line on the SQ's don't come so low, so you can only get about a 3" strip. I tinted mine with a 6" strip and at inspection the dude told me it was "technically" illegal, but it was one of those things that they'd usually overlook.

While we're on the subject of tint... If you live in a hot climate and are sick of your AC in your house running non stop, tint the windows of all the rooms in your house that have windows where lots of direct sunlight get in at various times of the day. Our bedroom, living room and computer room all have windows on the side of the house where the sun beats down in the afternoon. I tinted all the windows in those rooms with 20%, and the AC is running half as much already. I'm going to be doing the rest of the house when I get another roll 20% in.

Edited by Burton

So he was arrogant for performing his job as he should have?

Regardless of what reasoning you think he used in pulling you over you clearly knew it was illegal (which is why you rolled them down) and as you had three weeks to fix it.

I don't think you should be mad at the cop. I think you should be mad at yourself here.

Or the previous owner for selling you a car with illegal tint.

Well said.

My brother got 25% tint put on his Mazda 3...that same day, a cop pulled him over for it. Well, you're not supposed to roll the window down for like a week...but, my brother had to.

And...the cop gave him a safety repair order...so...he had to have it removed...lol Same day that he got it done too.

Oh well...just get darker sunglasses and better a/c :P