Cash for clunkers... anyone?

batdude8

After re-reading...the way my owner's understand it is that we (the dealers) are not allowed to remove any parts from them, only the salvage yards can remove pats from the vehicle. We got a company-wide memo that anyone caught removing parts from a CFC car will be fired and prosecuted.

page 4 of this document:

http://www.cars.gov/files/CARS-Law.pdf

(2)

DISPOSITION OF ELIGIBLE TRADE-IN VEHICLES(

A)

IN GENERAL- For each eligible trade-in vehicle surrendered to a dealer under the Program, the dealer shall certify to the Secretary, in such manner as the Secretary shall prescribe by rule, that the dealer-(

i)

has not and will not sell, lease, exchange, or otherwise dispose of the vehicle for use as an automobile in the United States or in any other country; and

(ii)

will transfer the vehicle (including the engine block), in such manner as the Secretary prescribes, to an entity that will ensure that the vehicle-(

I)

will be crushed or shredded within such period and in such manner as the Secretary prescribes; and

(II)

has not been, and will not be, sold, leased, exchanged, or otherwise disposed of for use as an automobile in the United States or in any other country.

(B)

SAVINGS PROVISION- Nothing in subparagraph (A) may be construed to preclude a person who is responsible for ensuring that the vehicle is crushed or shredded from-

(i)

selling any parts of the disposed vehicle other than the engine block and drive train (unless with respect to the drive train, the transmission, drive shaft, or rear end are sold as separate parts); or

(ii)

retaining the proceeds from such sale.

I guess it hinges on who this person is :

person who is responsible for ensuring that the vehicle is crushed or shredded

Perhaps you have been looking in the wrong places, or live in teh wrong place. GM was advertizing on the TV localy the same deal as Dodge with $4500 rebate plus the $4500 C4C tax rebate. $9000 off any new car is a good deal, even with depreciation and interest.

Some places, the deals are better now than before C4C started. Depends on where you look and how you look at it.

A rusted out track only car? yah, scrap it. It's not doing anyone much good as is, and it probalby not easily converted back into a good street car at this point anyway.

I say unless you are prepaed to offer the OP atleast $3500 for his quest as-is, you have no business condemning him. it's just a piece of metal with a net value of ~$1500 private party, or $4500 via cash for clunkers, seems pretty stright forward to me. I way if you arent' going to "save" this car (with $$$$), then shut up.

I've seen far more go to waste in peoples yards (many by members here) than will be scrapped by this program, and those enevitably rust/rot out to the point of being unsavable. And what does that owner get out of it? They probalby have to pay to be rid of it, or at best get $100 in scrap out of it. If you want to hunt down real "starquest crimes", go after those people.

Well...here, they don't offer anything like that. GM is offering $1500 customer loyalty, and the $4500, or $3500 for you clunker. Before this whole thing, they were giving $5000 employee pricing, $1500 customer loyalty, plus the trade it for you car. A friend of mine was going to trade an Astro Van in...but, decided to wait for C4C, and, it ended up being a $1000 or two higher than before the program.

Dodge told us theyd sell and 08 leftover Dodge Ram for $17000 before the C4C program, and thats without a trade, or trying to talk them down. We went back, just curious as to see what kind of price with a clunker....it was $16500.

So, I see no real benefit to the program. Also, if he was going to buy an American vehicle, I'd be a little more supportive. The fact we are sending our tax dollars to a Japanese company just ticks me off. I have nothing against Japanese vehicles, obviously, its just, they aren't what we should be worried about.

Also, I didn't tell him to do anything, nor did I say he should be banned if he does....I simply said what I would do...and, I won't shut up because its my consitutional right :P Unless the government has taken that away now too. Oh wait...report your neighbor...thats right, they are in the process of taking that away.

But, I do not have the money to be throwing out for his car that he racerfied....but, I'd just hate seeing a good block of our diminishing supply, and a bunch of other good parts go to waste.

However, it is not my car, not my choice, not my problem.

The car must have been registered AND insured for the past consecutive 12 months. If yours hasn't been, good luck getting them to give you anything. I know numerous people who have been politely turned away after the dealership found out.

EDIT: And they do check from what I've heard.

Edited by Zack_Morris

It does suck though, a friend of mine at work has a buddy with white 88 that he says its going to c4c.. It kills me but I don't have $4500 to give to him for it... Bottom line if your car is junk and you got dough to get a new one f- it. You might as well. Your gonna hate yourself when its gone.

Also, if he was going to buy an American vehicle, I'd be a little more supportive. The fact we are sending our tax dollars to a Japanese company just ticks me off. I have nothing against Japanese vehicles, obviously, its just, they aren't what we should be worried about.

all 10 of the top 10 C4C cars are made in America, it's helping out more here than anywhere else.

And I wasn't directing most of my reply to you, just the first part. Sucks your otherwise good market has gone away with this program. It may return after they cn't sell the volume they wanted, that is the benifit of a free market.

It does suck though, a friend of mine at work has a buddy with white 88 that he says its going to c4c.. It kills me but I don't have $4500 to give to him for it... Bottom line if your car is junk and you got dough to get a new one f- it. You might as well. Your gonna hate yourself when its gone.

see if you can grab anything off it before he does (ie shp rims, good seats or int stuff etc)

So, I see no real benefit to the program. Also, if he was going to buy an American vehicle, I'd be a little more supportive. The fact we are sending our tax dollars to a Japanese company just ticks me off. I have nothing against Japanese vehicles, obviously, its just, they aren't what we should be worried about.

This statement is just ignorant. Toyota has 6 plants and is currently planning to build more. Also many manufacturing assemblies. Engines, A/c Compressors, All sorta of parts, MADE IN THE USA. Do you know how many Toyotas are MADE IN THE USA!?!? or how many Americans are employed by Toyota do you know how much money Toyota has invested in America?? do you really think all that money goes straight back to Japan?? NO, most of it stays with Toyota HERE in OUR country.

I'm sorry but if Government Motors and the others fail its not due to anything that happened in the last couple months, it'll be due to the YEARS AND YEARS of selling sub-par cars.

Look at this and tell me Toyota isn't America also!!

http://www.toyota.com/about/our_business/t...ca/our_numbers/

This statement is just ignorant. Toyota has 6 plants and is currently planning to build more. Also many manufacturing assemblies. Engines, A/c Compressors, All sorta of parts, MADE IN THE USA. Do you know how many Toyotas are MADE IN THE USA!?!? or how many Americans are employed by Toyota do you know how much money Toyota has invested in America?? do you really think all that money goes straight back to Japan?? NO, most of it stays with Toyota HERE in OUR country.

I'm sorry but if Government Motors and the others fail its not due to anything that happened in the last couple months, it'll be due to the YEARS AND YEARS of selling sub-par cars.

Good point...Lots of Fords, Dodges and Chevy's are made in mexico and canada..

Where as Nissan,Honda and Toyota have major plants here shoot even the BMW Z4 is made here...Don't look at the emblem look at manufacture stamp on the door pillar...

Made In the USA is just that "they made it here" not thier owners live here..Whoever keeps the little guy employed (aka:"us") is who I am for...Thanks JahJah for the enlightenment

~Roberto

LOL

were making some headway. might have found the person responsible for stealing/stripping the car. sorry i was short with you then, just had to get all that info from the cops and what not. were gonna catch the person!

wait.... what happened?

we dont have a scheme like this in oz...thank god. if was introduced and i was approached i have to give the guy some testical re-alignment surgery with my left boot. parts for these things are hard enough to find without them getting crushed as a whole car. if i was in the states and had enough cash i would build a massive shed and call the starion retirement village and stock pile as much as possible.

Sadly, true....but, thats my point. Our American car companies should be moving back to Detroit....and, our money go to them. No offense, I realize what you are saying, but, lets face it...the CEOs of all the Japanese car companies are sitting pretty because of this....over in Japan.

I don't know...maybe I just have very old skool ways of thinking, that, OUR companies of American origin should come first....and that we as a country should back our own stuff before that of another nation.......but, I seem to be alone on that. This countries golden age is over...and, not to offend any British on the boards, but, we are becoming a nation like that of Great Britain, relying completeling on other people for everything...and, sadly, losing our global power.

Aren't there toyota CEO's here too? Where does this $$$ really go? ...

Since it's a publicly traded company, technicaly, the profits $$$ ultimatly goe to the share holders, who are they?.

How many owners of "detroit" stock are overseas ? ...

Globalization has diluted the damage done by forigen commpanies doing business here.

Here is an interesting article :

http://www.businessinsider.com/toyota-amer...-company-2009-7

A new study from Cars.com sheds light on the absurdity of thinking cars have a "nationality."

When you consider that even a post-bailout GM will expand its use of foreign labor, it shouldn't be that hard to understand how an "American" car isn't really so, just because its maker was founded in Detroit.

And more generally, there seems to be little reason to think that American cars are really more American in any metrics that matter: Namely, labor and parts inputs.

According to the new survey, the most American car in America is the Toyota Camry, containing the highest percentage of American inputs, even surpassing the Ford F-150. Actually, Toyota utterly dominates the top 10 list, with a Honda thrown in for good measure.

Now some might object to this, saying that even though these cars are "made-in-America", the value still flows overseas, but really, even that's not right. Toyota still pays taxes in America. Its stock is traded in the US, and is no doubt owned by individual retail accounts and mutual funds.

If you insist on coming up with some definition of "American" that limits that moniker to the Big Three, we suppose it's this: Only Chrysler, Ford and GM have the political clout to win a bailout if needed. We really can't imagine Toyota or Honda receiving so much political support. Of course, this is a circular definition that still doesn't say much, but it's the best you can do.

Here is the site survey they refrenced:

http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story.jsp?se...tory=amMade0709

only 5 of the top 10 are "detroit company' cars

Toyota accounts for 4 of them...

There is even a honda on the list

An interesting side note:

*Excludes assembly plants suspended or scheduled for shutdown: Pontiac, Mich. (Chevrolet Silverado, GMC Sierra) and Orion Township, Mich. (Chevrolet Malibu).

So aster the dust settles from GM's bankroptsy, it's possible they will fall off this list.

LOL... but she has cancer... Its curenly my drift car, no interior no nothing. just 2 seats and some gauges with suspension and bigger turbo. Im just saying, 4500 is a great price....

yes, they pour something (cant remember) and it locks up the motor and crush it. Like i said it would have all the good parts removed.

liquid glass :confused0024: