can someone tell me what up with this head/cam setup

eviper21

unlike the stock cam...this one sticks out the back of the head and has threaded holes in it..

i bought the head on ebay....its a universal 2.6 head, mechanical non-jet valve... so it doesnt have the feul pump block off plate (which i need if neone has one) and this cam setup which is really weird

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q310/eviper21/0731091705-01.jpg

its hard to tell , but theres threads in there

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q310/eviper21/0731091705-00.jpg

Edited by eviper21

That head is off of a FWD 2.6L. The cam has a pulley attatched to it on those that turns the water pump which is mounted on the (our back) of the engine.

Also, that head will have different valves then the turbo one...as well as a couple other things I believe.

have you check'd to see if a valve caover will fit,,some very early 2.6 heads use'd a diff valve cover,, if the cover fits,, you got two choices,, thats a head off of a frt whl drv car,, you can install two rear cam seals and go or remove the cam cut off the rear part that protrudes and use a std quest rear cam plug ,, on a fwd car that is where the water pump drive pully is mount'd ,,other then that it's the same cam as a turbo quest uses

you have part of the cam sticking out of the head right,, it has a seal,many years ago it was found that 2 seals work way better then just one ,, and it became standard pratice to install 2 seals when ever replaceing the rear cam seals , theres plenty of room for the two seals

but Stang is also right in that the exh valves aren't turbo valves,, and most likely the springs aren't turbo spec springs eather

Its just a FWD cam in the same head. Van, car etc. Its usually called a caravan head because everyone has forgot that there were just as many but more fwd CARS that used this motor and all the heads were the same and ALL THE CAMS were the same. The ONLY difference in a FWD Vs RWD cam is that it just is longer stub on the back to mount a pulley that drives the water pump. This motor was in vehicles all over the world FWD and RWD.

It's just a plain old FWD N/A 2.6 replacement head, nothing special to it. As stated before, the grinds are the exact same between turbo and non-turbo engines. Only difference to really concern himself with is the lack of turbo exhaust valves.

hey shelby, when you talk about seals are you talking about the round metal plug that sticks into there (between the cam tower and head)?? ...is there a special one for this head? like should i go ask for a cam seal for a 83 caravan?? lol

and yes i know the valve deal....and i believe the springs are lighter to....i just neeeed the car running soon, so i can get it to school....so im not worried about that...but eventually ill buy stainless valves and a bigger cam and schnieder springs and overhaul the head....

but im sure the valves will hold for now if i keep the temps low enough and the boost to a minimum

The '86 - 2.6L Caravan rear cam seal is what you want. 2 of them. The reason you need two is because the cam is most likely grooved from the seal. This allows oil to get past easier. 2 seals assures a better seal and better protection against crank case pressure pushing the oil out on the turbo engine.

The naturally aspirated 2.6L cams are the exact same as the turbo cams. We have matched the grinds to be the same. Maybe a .003 difference in lift, but that is more a difference between mech and hyd. The #1 intake lobe center is ground to be installed at 107 degrees BTDC. The lobe separations are the same too.

the difference between n/a and turbo is the lobe centres
Not over "here", for your Magna roller cams and the non roller cams perhaps but all the cams we have over here in the States are the same the only difference was in 85 they came out with hydraulic lifters so the lift changed by an amount about the same as what the mechanical screws lash was.

The rear seal on a FWD cam is just an oil seal. You can buy them everywhere. Since the water pump pulley protected the seal to a point some believe its better insurance to use two seals, one for the oil to stay in and one for the dirt to stay out. Problem is, where does the oil come from the lubricate the outer 2nd seal? There isn't any place for it to come from.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog/p...rentId=cat30061

Go to an auto parts store and ask for a rear cam seal for any FWD 2.6 mopar from the early 80s

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog/p...rentId=cat30061

Felpro / Camshaft Seal

For your 1985 Chrysler Town & Country 2.6L 2BL 4cyl

part number TCS45847

Price:

$2.99