another alternator question

hickabilly

Replaced the belts the other day, and with the belt off, I noticed my alternator has some play in the rotating assembly. Is a bearing going bad? Is this even something to worry about? The alt works fine other than that, but it freaks me out a bit. I just want some confirmation before I go laying down the money for another one.

Yah, it's up and down play. Not really noticeable w/ the belt on b/c of the tension. But it's definitely obvious with the belt off. I'm not running it like that, largely because the car's still out of commission from the accident a few weeks ago, but I'll definitely get it fixed before I put the car back on the road.

Thanks for the help.

Any movement at all there is catastrophic. Chances are good there is damage to the rotor and stator. It may or may not be rebuildable. New bearings would be the minimum it requires. I would have a rebuild shop go through it and replace whatever they feel necessary. I do not recommend replacing with a store bought unit.

Any movement at all there is catastrophic. Chances are good there is damage to the rotor and stator. It may or may not be rebuildable. New bearings would be the minimum it requires. I would have a rebuild shop go through it and replace whatever they feel necessary. I do not recommend replacing with a store bought unit.

Do online parts providers count as "store bought units"? :biggrinumbrella1:

I know of at least 2 guys in this thread that can hook you up with an alternator.

JR

Do online parts providers count as "store bought units"? :biggrinumbrella1:

No, your alternators are rebuilt by a pro, as are mine. That is the main goal. Have a professional you trust go through it, or supply another one. The store bought units from parts stores remove the good OEM parts inside, and install cheap replacements that will not last very long. Stay away from lifetime warranties too.