She'll Be Alive and Well Soon ...

Dave-O

I hate starting new threads for a random post, but ...

I bought an engine out of an auto '88 Conquest at a local pick-n-pull today. $209 got me the longblock, all accessories, and motor mounts. This engine is CLEAN compared to most I've seen in late-'90s cars. Turbo is gone, but I have mine, no shaft play at all.

While I was rooting around in the car I pulled the ECU. $35 investment. Also having a glass-installer buddy of mine pull the windshield [MINT!] so I can hoard it away for the unfortunate time that the rock chip in mine spreads into a full-blown canyon.

I originally was looking for the SHP Starion at the yard which I got my SHP 9"s from, but it had sadly been crushed. I didn't get a chance to grab the adjustables, oh well. That's one thing this Conquest had on it though, front adjustables, and non-SHP rears. Someone knew what they had, I'm sure.

I pulled the hatch glass and spoiler for a buddy of mine [HurleyTSi], who had an unfortunate incident involving his built 7-bolt 4G63 for his Talon and the rear glass of his flatty Conquest on Friday night [don't store engines in your hatch, fellas!] ... he's been using my hatch for a temporary replacement.

So, assuming [knock on wood] I have everything together to drop this new[ish] engine into my Starion, she'll move under her own power this weekend. I need to find a matching set of wheels and fab up an exhaust, and she'll be ready for inspection and plates.

To say I'm excited, is a vast understatement. :happy0030:

Edited by Dave-O

ALLRIGHT DAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well done buddy just in time for summer too...

That first engine start is a sweet sweet sound indeed...............keep that in mind this weekend

If you get lazy let us know we'll yell at you good and loud ...

I am VERY excited. My only concern is the clutch, the guy I got the car from said it was "toast", but I honestly dont' think he knew how to drive a car properly. We'll see when I pull the engine.

I'll be sure to double-check for the bushing. Thanks for letting me know!

Engine pulls aren't an issue for me, if the clutch looks fine while I have it out and it turns out to be toast, no big, I'll pull the engine again when I get a new one. I do plan on cleaning up the wiring and engine bay before too long, so I'll have the chance to steam-clean everything the second go-around. :D

Tis the season to be getting broken down starquest running again. congrats on bringing her back, i to am in the process of waking mine from the grave

That's what I was trying to figure out. Trans fluid was crystal clear. There wasn't any oil in the engine [for some reason they drain the engines at this place, but never the transmissions] but it didn't smell burnt, and there wasn't any milky residue on the cap. The exterior of the engine is a bit greasy but otherwise in great shape, and all the freeze plugs look new. Spinning it by hand it felt like it had great compression. I'll pull the valve cover off and check in the cylinders when I drop new plugs into it.

It looks like the front end of the car was stuffed into something hard, like a parking barrier or similar, as the trans cooler was pretty well smashed. The bumper and airdam were nonexistent as well.

But it is a good question. I honestly don't know if it is or not. I asked the same about the otherwise-mint SHP sitting next to it, with good struts, good LSD, good brake pads for hell's sake, and even had a harness bar welded in. The tires that were on the SHPs I snagged still had the nubs on them.

Here's to hoping, haha.

Edited by Dave-O