some input needed

81zfan

ok here we go fixing to pull the the stock 190,000 mile motor out and go through it and freshen it up!!

so my question is after the rebuild i should have about a 1,000 dollars to throw into the car, i was wanting input on what would be the best mods that i can do with the money, it is completley stock nothing has been touched , all thoughts would be greatly appreciated !!!!

Maf-t with 3in mas $200-$350

upgrade turbo to 14 or 16 $200-$400

hardpipes $250-$400

2.5 inch exhaust $250- $350

RR fuel pressure reg $80

MBC $70

Walbro fuel pump $120

88-89 ecu if you are not 88-89 $40-$80

Boost gauge $50

Wideband A/F gauge and sensor $200-$300

these are just a few

i would say a upgraded turbo, hardpipes and a nice Downpipe and a MBC to control the turbo.

so far my stock 87 fuel system is doing FINE keeping up with a 20G @ 12psi.

but those three things are a good start then work on the other things over time that strickdawg mentioned like the

well it's a 88 i have already been looking at hardpipes and exhaust was going to get that, and already looked at the mbc and fuel pump, i was mainly wanting the other items like the turbo and maf, i gues i need to start searching for parts now, thanks for the quick reply, also can you get the maf with the trans. or do you build it, and wire it in, and will the 16g off of the talons/eclipse bolt up to the exhaust or do you have to have a special 14 or 16 turbo

i bought my maf-t with 3in mas from ebay as a set for $165 for both.

I got my aem wideband with sensor and gauge from ebay for $165

Got my Small 16g off of here fully rebuilt and ready to go for $300

just wondering will the 16g from talon bolt up to the exhaust and fit or is there changes gonna have to be made??

what kind of mbc does everyone recommend i looked at the cheap one on ebay but don't know the quality

some ebay ones work good, i have a cheap ebay one and it works fine for me. ive had no problems with it.

Daniel

just wondering will the 16g from talon bolt up to the exhaust and fit or is there changes gonna have to be made??

it will not bolt right up but it is do able.

you will either have to port your stock exhaust housing to fit the biger td05h exhaust wheel (which is what most do i believe), or use a dsm exhaust housing and make a custom dp for it., to get the dsm exhaust housing to bold on, you will either have to get rid of the threading on the housing or get rid of the threading on the mainfold since they are both threaded, there is a little bit more machining to do as well with the housing to get the nuts to fit the studs like the stock exhaust housing does (thats if you get rid of the threading on the dsm exhaust housing).

there are other things that need to be done to make it work properly as well. such as re-clock the cartridge to be right side up instead of upside down for our cars (talons and eclipses have the turbos under the manifold, not on top like ours). you will also have to re-clock the compressor housing to be able to have an easier fit for the hard pipe.

you will then need to make a custom bracket to hold the waste gate actuator since the the compressor housing had to be re-clocked which would throw off the mounting position of waste gate actuator and keep it from doing its job (holding the waste gate closed)..thats if you use the stock exhaust housing, im not sure if you will need to make a bracket if you use the dsm housing, i havnt put that one on yet.

once all this is done, you would have yourself a pretty good up grade.

took me no more then a good day to do.

Daniel

Edited by dstar88

Poly suspension bushings, front strut isolators if cracked, and new struts.

a 16G

manual boost controller

and what Mike is saying

all the other stuff affects your reliability. MAF-T, GM 3", blah blah blah, you'll be on the advanced virtual mechanic forum trying to get somebody to help you figure out why your car runs like crap. If you get a good running motor, have all your sensors working properly, and have some clean filters, you'll love the mess out of your car. K.I.S.S.

yeah thats what i was thinking getting ready to order wideband, hardpipes,and mbc today while i got some spare change!!