Thermostat--new pic, doesnt look bad, how do i tell?

Szester

Darn didnt see your other post...i was beat to it haha

Yeah they are cheap ;)

lol, the other day you were beat by me by something like 3 seconds. Just bad luck i tell ya. lol

Thanks guys, im gonna go pick one up

The bottom plug? You could drain some of the coolant out and if its clean i suppose you could always put it back in? :P

Then when it is low enough i imagine you could take the hose off.

Thanks, im gonna go start on this project. Ill take pics along the way

Yea, it didnt seem to bad. So what do you guys think?

http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo225/szester/100_2515.jpg

Also, that little male connection is broken. Just spins, is that a problem?

Edited by Szester

Are you just low on coolant?

Well, im not 100% sure whats going on, My gauge says its not getting to normal operating temperature no matter how long i drive it. Only gets about a quarter up so im just trying to pinpoint the problem. Might just be the gauge, but i wasnt low on coolant no. Just wondering whats going on, all ideas welcome.

Edited by Szester

To test the stat, turn it over so you see the spring side, notice the round disk at the end of the spring is sealed to the housing? now throw the stat in boiling water (in the kitchen) and watch is open up, should oppen fully within 30 seconds or so. If after 60 seconds it's still closed, it's junk.

To test the stat, turn it over so you see the spring side, notice the round disk at the end of the spring is sealed to the housing? now throw the stat in boiling water (in the kitchen) and watch is open up, should oppen fully within 30 seconds or so. If after 60 seconds it's still closed, it's junk.

Lol, thats awesome. Ill get to it right now

You should see a 2 digit number stamped in it (on the under side) that is the temp rating in Celsius. you can convert:

88c = 190f

80c = 176f

70c = 158f

stock is 88c

stock is a 195f alright but that is also for use on a cooling system operateing at 100%

depending on your summer temp highs you may be able to use a 180f stat and be good , but if your like it is here in fl with a lot of close to 100f days , i'd not use the 195 stat,,the 180 will help you keep the temps down a bit and the engiine will be hot enought to run well

as to does the engine get hot you can tell hot from cold by touching the engine,, you know how how a cup of coffee is thats a guage you can go by,, coffee fresh brew'd is 190 f

My gauge says its not getting to normal operating temperature no matter how long i drive it. Only gets about a quarter up so im just trying to pinpoint the problem.

A quarter up? that could be normal. do you mean a half way to the middle mark? Because it should stay below the half way mark.

• 2 months later...