88 help

cars very sluggish below 3100 rpms

wont go over 2k rpms with the gas padel smashed and foot on the brake.

takes off very slow from a stop no matter how much gas you give it.

now the fool mix of my know parts in it

good 87 short block

new trilogy injectors

new injector clips

83 head

18g turbo since the 12a had a cracked housing but starts making boost at about 2300 rpms on the stock gauge full boost on gauge before 3k

msd blaster 2 coil

new cap and rotor

above 3k rpms the car screams and seems like a normal starquest. there's just no power below that.

was told tranny was rebuilt about 1k miles before the motor went.

tranny shifts great from 1 to 3 havn't tried OD yet.

new setup was put in completely stock

not sure what it is only driven 5 speeds in these cars. motor seems fine in park and neutral. mostly just wondering if it's normal for a auto car to take off so slow.

i do have one question is the timing set at the same point as the manuals?

i know 3.90's will help but thats not at the top of my list right now. tires

Edited by 83_project_toy

compairing it to a 83 stock and modifed and scotty's turbo's 2.6 truck.

the car feels very sluggish coming off the line. it's going to get inspected today so maybe after a nice drive and more fresh gas i'll see if anything changes

Comparing my 84s, auto vs manual I'd say no there isn't that great of deal of difference between the off the line <3000rpm accelleration. The gearing is a little different between them, but the "torque multiplication" that happens due to the torque converter helps down low some.

Maybe it distributer related? If its gummed up, that could cause poor low end.

Comparing my 84s, auto vs manual I'd say no there isn't that great of deal of difference between the off the line <3000rpm accelleration. The gearing is a little different between them, but the "torque multiplication" that happens due to the torque converter helps down low some.

Maybe it distributer related? If its gummed up, that could cause poor low end.

just put a new cap rotor and plug wires on it and gutted the the 1st cat. no difference after 150 miles the od tried working once on my way home from work and hasn't tried since. also jsut checked the tranny fluid again and it's over filled so i got to drain some of that out.

would that cause a OD problem and maybe the sluggush feel?

The stall on the factory converters is 1750-2100rpm, there's no reason for it to go over 2k with the gas and brake applied. have you tested the wastegate actuator to see if it holds pressure/vacuum?

The stall on the factory converters is 1750-2100rpm, there's no reason for it to go over 2k with the gas and brake applied. have you tested the wastegate actuator to see if it holds pressure/vacuum?

waste gates working fine. i went to gut the precat saturday and found out it had already been done but noticed the cat was broke clean around the top weld. i replaced that with another gutted one i had laying around. going to gut the secondary this weekend and see if that helps any.

waste gates working fine. i went to gut the precat saturday and found out it had already been done but noticed the cat was broke clean around the top weld. i replaced that with another gutted one i had laying around. going to gut the secondary this weekend and see if that helps any.

don't gut the second one just yet. is there a difference in how it runs with the dp replaced?

don't gut the second one just yet. is there a difference in how it runs with the dp replaced?

with 2 gutted precats first one broke and the 2nd one with no cracks the car runs the same. i know this turbo and it's spooling way faster then it did on my 83. so thats making me think the cats clogged.

ok got the tranny at the normal mark and a new o2 sensor cars still running the same very sluggish taking off. could the isc be going?

also still no over drive but the button on the shifter and the light on the dash are working. any idea's on that?

I know the ISC is bad on my palermo car, it wont idle for crap til its warn. No real driving effects though, just idle. Have you tried pulling the OD relay? Its located next to your left foot, i know a lot of people can make their OD work by pulling that.

I know the ISC is bad on my palermo car, it wont idle for crap til its warn. No real driving effects though, just idle. Have you tried pulling the OD relay? Its located next to your left foot, i know a lot of people can make their OD work by pulling that.