Tranny swap

heefner

Those do look VERY similar.  Isn't there a company is Aussie land that makes a Supra tranny for a Starion?  I didn't read this entire post so if I repeated this sorry.

I think a 2.6 boag warner bell housing with a convertion plate was used

the boag warner box was used in Aussie Sigmas  and the bell housing unbolts

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ran it 2 times last year. I was having problems with the manifold cracking agian so I yanked it and I'm in the process of building a new system with a SFP header and a Garette Balisitcs turbo.  No new numbers to report.  

http://2.6liter.com/userfiles/StarQuester/R154andV160-1.jpg

Left Side: R154-5speed

Right side: V160-6speed

http://2.6liter.com/userfiles/StarQuester/r154vsv160.jpg

Top: R154

Bottom:V160

You have those mixed up left is v160 right is r154. Same goes for the bottom. r154 dont have the extension.

And just for some general information. a v160, r154, and w58 can all bolt up to a 1jz, so if the plate was setup for the right bell housing, it may be possible. If I remember, the v160 and r154 will both bolt up with a 1jz manual bell housing. I dont remember what bell housing the w58 requires, since no one does it with a 1jz.

That will definatley put that tranny to some good use. Im probably gonna settle for a GT32 though. If I could find an internally gated GT30 Id definately go that route. Man I cant what to see what numbers/ times you drop!

Heefner, did the trans drop your top end, or are you getting more?  Also, I know shift points are different, but how much of a change is it from the original 6500 redline?  

Shadow

Im sure his redline didnt change, thats all in your motor. I wonder what the duration of his first gear is though. That be nice if 1st was longer and 4th and 5th had more pull to em  

Me too Shelby. I'm shooting for the middle of Oct we have a shop sponsered import meet that I'm trying to represent for.  

As for gear ratio's, I did some digging and this is what I came up with;

88-89 Mitsu 5spd          |              86.5-93 Toyota 5spd

km132-m-cnl               |              W-58

|

1st                    3.369                                                               |                          3.28        

2nd                    2.035                                                   |                                        1.89

3rd                    1.360                                                        |                                     1.27

4th                   1.000                                                    |                                           1.00

5th                      0.856                                                        |                                        0.78

Sorry about the lack of format... it took me longer to "try to line it up than it did to find the info :-/

here are the ratios.  I never really got to see what the topend was.  I did do a basline pull and a spedo calibration before I pulled the crack manifold off.  It looks like with the 3:90's and the W58 an 17" rims at 65mph I'm actually doing 60 mph.  So All in all, I'm glad I did the 3:90 gear change but almost whish I would have gone with the 4:22's.  We'll see how she hooks and then I make a decision. I still have some suspension work to play with too.

so longer 1st shorter 2nd and longer 5th. I guess being that this tranny is for when you surpass the limits of the stock one. The power will make 4th and 5th have more pull.

Is that 1st & 2nd gear change noticeable?

I telly ou wehat wiould be a killer drag box is the v160. It's 6th gear is only .080

close ratio box. They are the shiznat, but of course, if any of us could actually afford one, we would probably have some crazy engines too.

I've been told a w58 can hold up around 450rwhp, no for long though. Only if its in good condition. Most people say that 350ish is about the limit for them, if you want them to last. The r154s can run 450rwhp reliably, and you can go above 500, but then again, you lose your reliability.  After that, you go v160 getrag, and those things can hold crazy amounts of power. I want one...

Here is a nice write-up on the V160.

"V160 6 Speed Getrag Manual Gearbox        

The much sought after manual gearbox found in the MKIV Supra. This box is supplied to Toyota (and various other vehicle manufacturers) by German manufacturer Getrag and was one of the first six speed boxes available on a road car.

This box has a reputation for being slightly agricultural when selecting gears and on occasions can be quite noisy in operation. Generally there is nothing wrong with the box; it is in fact a very strong box as far as manual gearboxes go.

When driving a six speed Supra the pick up tends to be slightly quicker than an equivalent auto car, until the first gear change. At which point you really need to be slick with gear changes to make the best of the box. Yes a manual Supra usually has faster 0-60 times than an auto but these tend to be achieved by professional test drivers who are a lot quicker at changing gear than your average driver.

Six speeds can be a bit tiresome if you are often driving in traffic jams but once you hit the country lanes the box comes into it?s own. The hydraulically assisted clutch is fine for general use but in slow moving traffic can start to feel heavy.

As for servicing and supporting any modifications to your car the six speed is well placed to support you for years to come. It is generally accepted that the six speed box will handle up to about 550Bhp by just using an uprated clutch. However if the box does fail on you then it could be an expensive trip to your Toyota dealer as there is no aftermarket servicing at all on these boxes and the only option is a new unit, which is approximately £3-4k.

So in summary the V160 box is a very capable and strong unit with great potential for those intending to race or modify their cars, but for day to day driving may not be best suited to your requirements. On the downside if the box does fail at anytime you could be left with a very expensive repair bill for a replacement unit."

BuGG

• 2 months later...

Okay Heef, It well into summer now! I want 1/4mi vids & times and some Dyno progress with that turbo NOW!!!!! RIGHT NOW!!!! :evil: :D

Really, hows she runnin? get that turbo up and pumpin yet?

Yeah yeah, I'm still waiting on parts. I finally got the trubo but I have had to send my manifold back to SFP 4 times to get it right. I haven't gotten it back yet. This will hopefully be the last.

Well Heef, Im a little disappointed in you but you forgiven. Just dont make a habit of this! :D

I only wish my car could be done up like yours. cant wait to see results!

your car was 5spd originally right? so where does this tranny line up as far as the subframe/crossmember is concerned? just might be easier to go auto 5spd with this than a stocker

your car was 5spd originally right? so where does this tranny line up as far as the subframe/crossmember is concerned? just might be easier to go auto 5spd with this than a stocker

Yes it was originally a 5spd. The cross member had to be modified obviously to make it work. I used the Toyota mount and drilled the conquest crossmember to except the mounting bolts. Then I welded some 5/16 channle onto the starion crossmember and drilled it so that it would use the stock holes and bolts. It turned out ok. You can see in the bottom of the pic where I modified the mounts. The pink area is where I clearanced the trans tunnel with a small sledge hammer. :twisted: Looking back If I would have used the toyota slave cylinder I would not have had to make such a large bump out. Oh well.

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wNjAyNTA4NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE=.jpg

• 1 year later...
I put the motor in 2 weeks ago. I have 200 miles on the motor and 250 on the new clutch. I'm only running 15 to 18 psi right now but it seems ok. Motor is burning a little more oil than i would like so I need to sort that out. No track times yet.