Heads up on roller rockers

Shelby

i was looking into why a cam would wear a lobe and found something intersting,,

the roller rockers do not have a lobe oiling hole in  one side of the  rockers

as you can see in this pic of Professorquests, the exh side gets oil from a hole in the  bottomof the rocker arm,,the roller rockers do not have this hole , this cam and most likely will  lead  to bad cam lobe wear on  engines useing  roller  rockers

sure  why not they did  ;D

the point i'm trying to make  is  we need to do this on the 4 exh rockers  and  that means you need to mark the intake and exh rollers  so you know whats  what

or  our  big new cam is gona be trash'd , along with the  roller rockers

of course it may be  enoguth  splash oil will be there to  cause no damage to  be done,,BUT we need to find out don' t we

the hole is a clean  drill so there  should be no problem  drilling the ooil  hole  in the roller  arms,,notice the left and right  non jet valve arms

%C2%A0http%3A//www.26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/10009/Feb21%5E01a.jpg

Well a little more oil can't hurt I guess, but I thought that it was the oil bath

that the cam swam in that lubed the lobes.

If the intake rockers do not have this oil hole, then it probably is not a problem.

Consider that the intake rockers have more work to do with the bigger valve

to move, along with moving the extra jet valve.

One of the points of having the roller rocker is to cut friction.

Are the folks that are running the rollers having cam lobe wear problems?

If so, then maybe this is worth it. But if not, don't fix something that ain't broke.

Another thing to consider, every drop of oil you bleed off to oil the lobes is a

drop of oil you do not have to oil the arm to shaft bearing surface, and in the

engines I have torn down that surface it usually more worn than the lobes.  

Non of the rockers shown are roller rockers.  But with an open bearing that is used on the rollers there is no need to have a hole , that will only weeken the rocker.

Mark T

The only hole needed is a hole to the lifter , the rockers shown in the pictures are standard  hyd rockers   and if   you drill a hole to spray more oil around  you may be weekening the rockers unnessaraly.   The post was about roller rockers and  the pictures did not show them.

Mark T

it may not but why take a chance when it doesn't seem to be a problem.  If the wear is a problem I would look at  then posablty that the std rockers  were worn before the new cam was installed .   or in the case of the rollers are the cams ground with the same angle as the stock roller cams are?  

Mark T

My car was leaning out around 4000 rpm.

Now with the rollers its more like 3500.

Tells me as good bit more air is getting in there.

What cam are you using?

Also, what's with your name? Anything to do with subs or scuba?