(pics soon) 16g with 1st gen housing almost done

ok guys this has been a long hard process so i will try to keep it short and sweet---I bought a 16g from vendettamotorsports real cheap that need rebuilt---I know a little about a little so I rebuilt this 16g with some parts from my 12a and some parts from the 16g...I had to do a little cursing and a lot a redoing what i had already done 3-days worth but believe it or not almost done---clearence on the roof was a little tough but I think by friday should be done and running---I had it all together and running but was leaking oil so had to redue it again--forgot the o-ring---but anyways before I noticed the oil leak was holding boost great only through 1 and 2nd gear then I noticed the oil---now after I fixed the oil leak I am blowing intercooler pipes off like nothing---I think I have it fixed but will keep everyone updated---just for reference 16g comprosser wheel and housing off of a 1st gen--shaft and bearings with exhaust wheel from conquest with conquest exhaust housing and downpipe---hopefully it will work----

Later guys

Chris

Im sure it will work, but im curious on how long it will live without being balanced.  ???

Not sure it will last long, but only time will tell.

Steven

that is a very good reply---I couldn't tell you how long without being balanced but for the 50 dollars i bought it with i thought what the hell....hopefully I can get atleast some good runtime with it if not then time for the true $600 upgrade----hopefully will have the last little finished tommrow with some pics----I MUST WARN U THOUGH IT IS GHETTO---BUT IT WORKS

Later

Chris

Here's what I plan on doing.... anybody done this or know if it will work?  Bought an eclipse 20G from ebay with the TDO6 wheel, and plan on getting a spare starion exhaust housing and having it machined to fit.  Everything else looks close enough to work, although I may have to redo my wastegate actuator mount.  Here's the pics of the turbo (which just got here a couple of hours ago)

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mrdodge01...o.com/mrdodge01

hell yea that sounds crazy enough to work--I don't think u should have many problems other than the hood clearence and maybe getting the 12a exhaust housing that is currently on your car off now----I would definality give it a shot---

Let me know how it turns out

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

yes and no U will have to fab a bracket for your wastegate but other than that It should work just use the bearings out of the 14b instead of the 12a bearings and the exhaust wheel and shaft should go right into place any other questions let me know

Later

Chris

o yea U have to use the 12a 8cm exhaust wheel and shaft if that is what is bolted to your manifold--I posted a question about this earlier--I don't know if the exhaust housing will fit on to our manifold from a 14b if soo I might be in business with a new 16g  let me know if u find out

Later

Chris

mr dodge, and associates

Have you had any luck just swapping out the center section as a complete unit from the 1g DSMs?  I don't see why it wouldn't work except for the allignment of the oil and coolant lines and the clearance on the compressor or exhaust housings.  I want to sell these center sections on ebay, because I can get a big 16g center section for under $500, and no one wants a full 16g for $750 or a 17c for like $800.  I allready sold a DSM big 16g center section to some guy in puerto rico, and he seemed convinced that he could do the swap with just porting.  Hope so.....

Brian

91 Talon TSi AWD

w/high performance metal flakes in the oil  :( :(

• 5 months later...

a 16g turbo for a dsm will work with the quest exhaust housing. but its 8 cm compared to 7 cm. so you will have to port it.

the lines will hook up when you rotate the center section to install it.

and you will have to buy a compressor elbow for the piping to work with the swap.

its like 45.oo

i just completed the task last week. looks good and sounds crazy!

I have a 14b eclipse turbo in my car.  *DM did all the fabrication for it.  It came out great.  I can't wait to make it a 18G!  The 14b flows so much better than the 12a.  The compressor side is WAY different than the 12a housing, it has much more room for air to flow.

• 2 months later...

I dont know if anybody cares, but in my experience with Turbo's, it seems much cheaper and much better to buy one from ebay. I have pieced turbo's together and in the end it cost juct as much to just buy one. *DM showed me and gave me the resources he uses. I have been using them for 2 years now and It cost more to customize them. The Best way to save money is to just go big. Big 16 and Up. I saved money by machinig them at my old job or buying busted 16g's beacuse the 16's have the modified seal plate and shorter thrust sleeve you need to upgrade in anything bigger than a 14b. Im lucky, i live right by Turbo City and get turbos balanced for 35 bux and get seals kits w/bearing for $40 and i still only pocket about $50 bux, not even worth the gas in cali.

In short save your money and go BIG!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...
Here's what I plan on doing.... anybody done this or know if it will work?  Bought an eclipse 20G from ebay with the TDO6 wheel, and plan on getting a spare starion exhaust housing and having it machined to fit.  Everything else looks close enough to work, although I may have to redo my wastegate actuator mount.  Here's the pics of the turbo (which just got here a couple of hours ago)

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mrdodge01...o.com/mrdodge01

In that picture, the turbine housing isnt for a dsm manifold, not sure what it came off of. The compressor housing and center section looks right though, good luck.

In that picture, the turbine housing isnt for a dsm manifold, not sure what it came off of. The compressor housing and center section looks right though, good luck.

There's a T3 flange on that turbine. Looks very similar to the TDO6 turbine housing found on the Cy/Ty TDO6-17C.

Looks to be oil only too??