Injector/ECU help!

MommasQuest

I am working on my 89 Quest....have been for about a month now. I have narrowed things down, but need some help. How do I check the injector plugs? And can anyone tell me how to check my ECU to ensure that it is working properly? Thanks. Edited by MommasQuest

this link will give you alot of helpful information, just read read read...

but as far as the injector clips if they have never been changed im sure it is time to do so..

you can go to autozone and get them part number 85850 about 5.99 each.. but you only need two.

and to be honest i dont know how you culd check the ecu... sorry for that one.

but as far as the injector clips if they have never been changed im sure it is time to do so..

you can go to autozone and get them part number 85850 about 5.99 each.. but you only need two.

pull an injector out and see if it is working while car is being turned over can test primary..if your ecu didnt work you would know it!

Thanks! Where is the link?

less then $10 an led inj tester will show if the ecu is pulseing the injs with out the engine runing , the led will flash as the engine is spun and the ecu sends a pulse signal to the injs ( IF YOU HAVE AN IGN PULSE )... power to the injs comes from the inj resistor (near the air filter houseing on rad suport )

you can also test for 5 volts at TPS and CTS with key on,,if you have 5 volts the ecu is working ;)

Edited by Shelby

less then $10 an led inj tester will show if the ecu is pulseing the injs with out the engine runing , the led will flash as the engine is spun and the ecu sends a pulse signal to the injs ( IF YOU HAVE AN IGN PULSE )... power to the injs comes from the inj resistor (near the air filter houseing on rad suport )

you can also test for 5 volts at TPS and CTS with key on,,if you have 5 volts the ecu is working ;)

Thanks. I checked the TPS and it was correct, haven't checked the CTS yet. I will try it.

I picked up a loaner Noid light kit and the PFI for GM didn't really fit and I couldn't get a reading. I am ordering the Bosch PFI Noid and will see if that is the problem.

early volvo's use'd the bosh male and female connector to their 02 sensor,,snip a set of connectors from one in a u-pull-it and solder the connectors to gather and you have a plug and play inj led tester set up , one end plugs into the inj clip and the other to the led tester , add 2 inj clips to it and you can actualy watch the inj pulse as the engine runs and swaps inj's

early volvo's use'd the bosh male and female connector to their 02 sensor,,snip a set of connectors from one in a u-pull-it and solder the connectors to gather and you have a plug and play inj led tester set up , one end plugs into the inj clip and the other to the led tester , add 2 inj clips to it and you can actualy watch the inj pulse as the engine runs and swaps inj's

Ok...I do not have pulse to my injectors. Now what? Can anyone help me out with this?

haveing clean inj terminals is an absolute must,, even new clips may not work if the terminals them selves are real dirty ,,blunt nail file with a little strip of emory tape'd to it,works well, it will take a little time and tlc, but it is a must do , us older guys stress this a lot and for a very good reason,,the engine runs on one inj at a time so a poor connection means the engine will not run or runs poorly

haveing clean inj terminals is an absolute must,, even new clips may not work if the terminals them selves are real dirty ,,blunt nail file with a little strip of emory tape'd to it,works well, it will take a little time and tlc, but it is a must do , us older guys stress this a lot and for a very good reason,,the engine runs on one inj at a time so a poor connection means the engine will not run or runs poorly

Thanks Shelby. I cleaned the connectors and still have nothing. Do you think the ballast resistor has anything to do with it? I am frustrated. She runs like a top as long as you spray starting fluid in the TB. I have spray when I connect a 9v to the injectors. I checked the connectors and they have power. I am sooo close I can see the horizon! Any thoughts? Thanks so much!

I may have missed it here, but do you have fuel coming to the injectors? Sorry if I missed that.

Yes my gauge reads 40 on the fuel pressure tester. If I touch the injectors with a 6V battery, they spray like crazy. The problem is the power going to the injectors. I just not sure how to fix it.

ok a simple volt meter will tell you if the injs are seeing power, key on meter neg to good ground,, probe each inj clip 1 wire on each will show 12 volts,, if you get no reading on one or both test the inj resistor it's on the rad suport by the air filter houseing,, 12 volts in and 12 volts out on the two inj feed wires wires

now to see if the ecu is sending a ground signal to the injs,, the wire in the inj clips you found power on in the last test ,,this time your testing the other two wires,,

meter posi clip to batt posi,, meter neg probe the inj clip non power wire,,while some one cranks the engine ,, the meter will show changeing voltages,, the exact volts shown don't matter the fact that it flashs diff numbers tells you the ecu is sending a pulse to the inj clip ,if the engine was spining fast enought the meter may show an average voltage some where from .5 to 1.5 volts or so but again the exact volts don't matter , these two tests just prove'd or disprove'd the inj are seeing a pulse signal from the ecu and they are reciveing power from the resistor

under normal runing condition the inj only see 6-7 volts, but sence you are not placeing a load on the resistor you will see batt voltage

also keep in mind of you have done a lot of cranking on the engine the plugs may be wet and wet plugs will NEVER fire

ok a simple volt meter will tell you if the injs are seeing power, key on meter neg to good ground,, probe each inj clip 1 wire on each will show 12 volts,, if you get no reading on one or both test the inj resistor it's on the rad suport by the air filter houseing,, 12 volts in and 12 volts out on the two inj feed wires wires

now to see if the ecu is sending a ground signal to the injs,, the wire in the inj clips you found power on in the last test ,,this time your testing the other two wires,,

meter posi clip to batt posi,, meter neg probe the inj clip non power wire,,while some one cranks the engine ,, the meter will show changeing voltages,, the exact volts shown don't matter the fact that it flashs diff numbers tells you the ecu is sending a pulse to the inj clip ,if the engine was spining fast enought the meter may show an average voltage some where from .5 to 1.5 volts or so but again the exact volts don't matter , these two tests just prove'd or disprove'd the inj are seeing a pulse signal from the ecu and they are reciveing power from the resistor

under normal runing condition the inj only see 6-7 volts, but sence you are not placeing a load on the resistor you will see batt voltage

also keep in mind of you have done a lot of cranking on the engine the plugs may be wet and wet plugs will NEVER fire

Thanks. I printed this off and I am going to check these things. I will let you know. I appreciate it.

I have a similar problem Im running MPI and I'm running on 3 cylinders.. Cylinder #4 is not working properly, I changed plugs and #4 still looks brand new, just a little wet when I take it out.. I am definitely getting spark as I cranked it with the plug wire on the turbo manifold with another plug an I see the sparks.. Ernie mentioned that the injector to cylinder 4 could be stuck open? Is that a reaction of a bad/dirty injector?

check the inj clip to see if the ecu is sending it a pulse,, with volt meter NOT test lamp

then swap the inj clip for #3 plug and see if the miss stays with number 4 or moves to #3

each inj has it's own power resistor but the ecu fires them in pairs

Thanks. I printed this off and I am going to check these things. I will let you know. I appreciate it.

Shelby....you have been very helpful. I did what you said and I have pulse from the inj plugs and 12 v on the resistor. HMMMM! IDK!

If I touch the inj itself with the 6v batt they fire with no problem and if I spray fluid in the TB I can get it to run as long as I want to spray it. There is power and pulse to the clips and there is fire to the injectors....WHY WON"T THEY WORK TOGETHER!!???!!!

I appreciate all of you so much! I am learning alot. I just wanna drive my car :confused0024: