custom intake manifold

YELLOWHELL

I am going to attempt to make my own intake manifold. I've done the research and think i can make one. I have been looking for a replacement manifold for my 88 tsi and cannot find one that i like (other than eip's but i'm not paying that much. )so here is what I am shooting for.

1.It will have a large enough plenum to accomodate the motor

2.It will bolt up to the stock throttle body

3.It will convert to mpi when the time comes

I found a website that details how to build a manifold for a rx-7 I will use the same principles for my manifold. Iread the article in turbo mag from a month or two ago about runner length and plenum size and here is what i have come up with

runner length: at least 8 inches each without prebent pipes i may have to shorten that length to make it fit

plenum volume: using the formula 1.5x the displacment (.6l)means 3.9l volume

since i am using 4" exhaust pipe for the prototype that means it will be 19" long

Pics coming soon ;D

• 2 weeks later...
I think u can cheat a little on runner length. I think its measured from the valve seat too so the casting / port area counts.  Also I have seen some intakes (sheetmetal) where the runners actually stick out into the plenum an inch or three.  Looks odd but in theory shouldnt cause too much flow problems (Act like velocity stacks I guess).  Anyway someone had a link to this guy in Puerto Rico 'Hector' that had made some sweet looking MPI intakes but when I emailed him he was lukewarm about producing them .  I guess these one off intakes take so much time and effort no one can make them price effective to sell.  Good luck!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...