Making my MBC a dual mode MBC for $10

Works great so far.

I imagine you could use the stock ones for sure.

Should be same thing really.

All I did was try blowing through it to see if it was on or off without voltage applied.

The one I bought was normally closed up.

I guess thats good.

In case of an electrical problem I wouldnt be stuck at stock boost. :)

Hey, Thats was my idea!!!  LOL, glad it worked out for you too it definitly did for me.  Made my car alot more streetable in the rain and such.  Its nice to just granny around at 7# and not feel like I'm whooping the car on a daily basis.  So I just have to make a concience effort and flip a switch to do it now   ;D

AndyW

Andy, you’re right. I was thinking about it a while back as well, but seeing your setup at the meet prompted me to get off my butt and put it together. I forget where it was the first time I heard of it, probably somewhere on the forum. But yours was truly the first I've seen.

Yours was definitely my inspiration and you do deserve the credit.

Maybe this point is obvious but just in case I'll put it into words. It occurs to me that you could actually use a second MBC so that you could run to bos levels that weren't stock. Forinstance have your high boost side set at 15 pounds, and set the low boost side to 12 pounds. Nice for driving fast, or flip the switch and go balls out.

Great job with that mod.

it looks good man.  so you know if you get rid of your vac emissions control stuff you can use the solenoids off your car.

Wow! All I have to do is take an emission solenoid from my '88 Quest, hook the hoses up to my MBC & wire it to a switch just like vilification did in his pic, and that's it?

Josh

Hey everyone:

I just performed the 2 stage MBC mod, but I'm having 1 problem. Here's the info:

-1988 Quest with an '87 wastegate (I have a stock boost of 7.5 lbs)

-My MBC is set to 14 lbs

-The solenoid I'm using is my Quest's EGR Control Solenoid Valve

After doing the mod, I should have 2 boost levels: 7.5 lbs & 14 lbs. But my real boost levels are 10.5lbs & 14lbs. Since my car used to have a 3 port wastegate (10.5 lbs stock), is that why I have 10.5 lbs for a low setting? In order to achieve a low setting of 7.5 lbs, do I need to adjust the wastegate arm?

Josh

• 4 months later...

this seems to be an old topic

i thought i was the only one running something like this

my mbc looks abit different though

what kind of mbc is that?

mine is one of  those boostvalve.com ones

i had to run 2 solenoids however because the boost signal would leak out a small bleeder hole in the mbc(used to bleed out the signal to close the wastegate after it opens)

since i already threw away my cruise control, i used that wiring to control the soleniods

so all i had to do was hit the cruise(boost) control switch and up go the boost

You could use a hobbs swith also. I hear they help spool up the turbo faster, because the open right away, instead of gradual like the WG. You would just hook it up like the soleniod, and they cost around $25

Shawn