High TQ intake (working slowly on)

Lizzord30

Well Did another coat of JB weld inside and out side, this time with a better mixture.

Also marked where i plan too have the inj in the runners, the inj will have individual brackts for each inj. Still need too cut out plentum have it all marked out, also have holes drilled for inj bungs, need too just cut thoes out also.

http://www.tristarion.com/forums/index.php..._mod&id=103

http://www.tristarion.com/forums/index.php..._mod&id=104

http://www.tristarion.com/forums/index.php..._mod&id=105

heat isnt a problem, me and nick have been running with colant passages and EGR blocked off with JB weld for several yrs with no problems :)

JB weld tends too be slightly brittal thats what i am worryed about, but like scotty said we will find out :D

haha, guess what holds my injector bungs into my manifold? ;)  it's worked good so far.  JBWeld works great for non-structural stuff, and fuel only seems to affect it if you didn't let it dry completely before exposing it.  I'm a firm believer in the stuff, seeing as i don't have $2000 for a TIG to weld on an aluminum intake manifold. ;D

That seems a little risky for me. I'm mean fuel is what keeps your car running, if you lean out on one cyl. and don't catch it right away your car may turn into a Fiero of flames.  May I suggest getting a clear acrylic hood so that you can see whats happening in there.  :o

yes yes, rough up the surfaces you're using the JB on and it will hold like mad.  the first time i did my injector bungs i didn't do anything with the spun aluminum surface and they ended up falling out :-[

but on the second try it tood a disk grinder to them lightly and made a nice jagged surface on the aluminum and you can't get them out to save your life now ;D

Cool project.  How long will the runners be and how large a plenum will you run?  I do have a lot of faith in JB weld, as long as the surfaces are completely clean and have some texture.

the runners are 10-12in long, the plentum will be around 72 CI. Figured out a ezerway too make the inj Bungys so once i get some time should really get this thing rolling.

Plan is too first try too use 2inj onto the stock ecu with, if that works add the stock 2nd inj in. Is that doesnt work use a MegaSquirt with 450ccinj (dsm). It will have a mustang TB, will start with stock 60mm one. and maybe go larger later on (have a 60mm, 65mm, and 70mm one).

I take it this intake is going on the Monturbo?  I definately recommend the MS if you want good fuel control on a budget.

For injector bungs check out the photos on the yahoo megasquirt board, a guy there found a brass compression fitting thats the right size. That would be nice because you could braze them into your steel runners.

Yes for the Monturbo. If i use something like the brass fittings i will not have a way too mount the inj on unless i use a fuel rail, but will be nearly imposible too use that with the diff angles the inj will have too be. I would like too use the MS but need too find out if the stock wont work pretty good (if that works that will save me 150 or so, plus wont need any more inj's) i know it wont be as good but i am not planning on making this a 12 sec suv :) Just something that is more relaible then stock. Or at lest as good :) Who knows i will probly end up with a MS.

• 4 weeks later...

Lizz why not  just use alum pipeing you  guys have  the welder  that can do alum that way none of this  jb weld  crap , you  know  that mess hasn't a prayer of  staying to gather , it's just a matter of you  learning how to weld,  but heck  you had to learn to do the steel wire  right  :)

jb weld isn't very  good for structional   holding , esp  useing two diff metals

No offense, but I do not see this as a good idea. You guys are gonna burn yourselves to the ground. As much as I find many of your projects estranged and off the beaten path, I'd hate to see anyone get hurt.

Weld it or don't run it. At VERY least, have it pressure tested at no less than 50psi AT A MACHINE SHOP, not your 5psi duct tape thing you told me the other night.

Joel

• 2 months later...

according to my posts im a newbee but think of this.

your making an intake :)

all is ok now. but have you ever seen a muscle car get to much fuel and have a good ignition system? :-X big back fire!!!! and since i have been timing 5.0 engines for a while i have to to be very worried leaning over the carb to give it gas while im timing it cause of the back fire and the pressure it will produce. and i have seen noz birps aswell and they have cracked intakes that are aftermarket. so like mentioned above please take a back fire into thought with this manifold your making an get it tested cause jb weld is good on mufflers and radiators just think of what kind of temp and pressure your going to be putting on this thing.

ps its good to hear there is someone trying to make a better one but check and see if there are any shops that will weld the alum. for you. i had a shop weld the intake for my 924 turbo and all the runners were craked and it was like $50. jsut my 2 cents tho