Custom 2.5" AHP (Pics & how-to guide)

Josh '88

Here's some pictures of my custom-made 2.5" accordian hard pipe:

This how-to guide is for those who are looking for a cheap way to replace their OEM accordian hose. This was made to work on a SQ equipped with a 1G MAS & no aircan. If you are uncertain about this pipe working on your SQ, please let me know.

I got my AHP made at a local muffler shop. But before you do, it's better to already have your hose couplers. I got my hose couplers online at http://www.hosetechniques.com . You need 2 hose couplers: one that goes from a 2 inch to a 2.5 inch; and one that goes from a 2.5 inch to a 3 inch. The hose couplers were less than $50 with shipping.

When you get your hose couplers, go to the local muffler shop and tell them that you want a piece of exhaust pipe that is 20 inches long, 2.5 inches in diameter, and tell them to bend the center of the pipe at a 60 degree angle. Go home to your SQ, remove your OEM accordian hose, and try to install the pipe. You will have to cut each end of the pipe to make it fit properly, so mark the pipe with a marker and cut the excess pipe off with a reciprocating saw. Once you have the pipe cut to the right size, take a file and smooth out the rough edges that were left from the reciprocating saw. If you have eliminated the oil seperator on your SQ, then install the pipe & hose couplers, and you're ready to go!

If you car is equipped with the oil seperator, take a marker and put a dot on the pipe where a port needs to be made for the oil seperator. Then take it back to the muffler shop and get them to drill a hole where the dot is and weld a port there. I took oil seperator port off my OEM accordian hose, cut one side off, and had the muffler shop weld that port to my pipe.

The muffler shop charged me $8 for the piece of pipe and all labor (bending, drilling, welding). So, for less than $60, you now have an accordian hard pipe that will never crack or dry-rot due to aging. And it looks much better, too!

To finish the AHP, I sandblasted it, coated it with 2 coats of Dupli-Color brand Hi-Temp Aluminum paint, and coated it with 2 coats of Dupli-Color brand Hi-Temp Clear paint.

Josh

barbercb:

Welderwiz got a vacuum line GP together a while back and I bought some from him. You can check out the post at the "Group Purchase Info" section of this site. He is now set up to sell it to just one person.

Josh

Distorted.Clarity:

The 1G is a 3 inch, but the turbo is a 2 inch. Hosetechniques does not sell a hose coupler that goes from a 2 inch to a 3 inch.  2.5 inch was the largest they sell going from a 2 inch.

Josh

Hosetechniques ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Man I use to a lllooonnnnggggggg time ago buy thier Vac lines but  the 3.5mm is not the correct size and pops off.

Also they do not sell the 2" to 3" like Road Race Engineering. ;)

Lucky is really a nice guy. Cant say the same for his wife, she is really a character :-X :-X.

Still 3" is the way to go. :)

Kelly

Distorted.Clarity:

The 1G is a 3 inch, but the turbo is a 2 inch. Hosetechniques does not sell a hose coupler that goes from a 2 inch to a 3 inch.  2.5 inch was the largest they sell going from a 2 inch.

Josh

Good job josh..looks good i made my own to....luckily my uncle owns an exhaust business and he shrank the end to 2" which makes a nice smooth transition and i could use a 2 to 2 coupler..of course im still waiting for the coupler to come in...Looks nice bro..its your car and you did your way.... ;D

Monty

looks good. im not sure how much you paid for the pipe but you can buy pre mandrel bends from summit, hooker makes them. for like 12bucks, you have to cut it but if you get a large enough radius you can make two and sell one, then youve got a business.

Excellent work Josh.  It's not exactly a KellyDman (*DM) quality AHP but it's a difinite upgrade to the rubber accordion hose, and for less than $60.00, its an innovative option.  I think I'll be doing this too after I buy the *DM OVCP w/ BOV.

Thanks,

Jerry

Nice move of having a dirt cheap piece bent.  I wish there was a shop around here that could do that for my custom IC piping to be.

For my 3 incher I pulled the "buy a 3 bend Civic pipe, 1 reducer, 2 hose connectors, and hacked to fit" method.  Turned out great, but one piece is more solid.

-Matt

• 1 month later...

Josh, thanks for the post on hard pipes.  Just did TEP ovcp and looking to do hardpipe from turbo around to IC and the accordian pipe you describe here.  Any tips on doing these with stock aircan in place. Your deal was 2-2.5 and 2.5-3.  Would you go bigger after seeing couplers available to do so?

Glox

Glox:

You could probably get by without taking your car to a shop. I had alot of room to play with, because of eliminating the aircan. You'll just have to take some measurements. But on the "turbo to IC" pipe, I would take it to a shop and get them to make it. You can take them your OEM "turbo to IC" hose and they should be able to duplicate it. For best airflow, you want the pipe "mandrel-bent". If you notice my AHP pictures, the AHP was bent using a regular exhaust pipe bender. It's not "mandrel bent", but it's much better than the OEM accordian pipe. I might have went with a 3" AHP if I known about the hose couplers, but I'm completely satisfied with my 2.5" AHP.

Josh