Pressure in the bottom end

illjill

I've had my quest sitting since about nov-dec of 08 (for the winter)..I put new valve stem seals in about a month ago and I havent driven it at all since then until 2-3days ago. I took it out for a long smooth run, ran excellent. Well afterwards, I got back home and when I went to check my oil..I pulled out the dipstick and heard like, its hard to explain, but air. Like there was pressure built up in the block. I know this is verrry not good! It never did this before. what the hell could it be? :\ Edited by illjill

:iagree:

Remove PCV Valve rattle back and forth if you don't hear it rattle then its gummed up. Try a little carb cleaner then cover both ends with your fingers and shake back and forth drain out the goo. Take it for a spin. If alls cool afterward then you know for sure its the PCV valve.....

Edited by BRAZILBOY

And, if you're feeling saucy, you can blow on the barbed end to see if it's fully sealing closed under positive pressure.

Also, did you just shut off the engine? If so, then it could very well be a cylinder that came up on a compression stroke and didn't fire so there was 120-140psi all bottle up and it was seeping past the rings.

And, if you're feeling saucy, you can blow on the barbed end to see if it's fully sealing closed under positive pressure.

Also, did you just shut off the engine? If so, then it could very well be a cylinder that came up on a compression stroke and didn't fire so there was 120-140psi all bottle up and it was seeping past the rings.

Considering that there is a breather at the back of the valve cover both the PCV and the back of the valve cover would have to be plugged up.

Kevin

Considering that there is a breather at the back of the valve cover both the PCV and the back of the valve cover would have to be plugged up.

Kevin

^^^^^^ +1 what he said.

Seems unlikely that the entire system is closed tight.

Dad

no its wasnt a pulse at all. and I pulled out the oil dipstick, not the cap. It just sounded like pressured air being released whenever I pulled it out.

and i checked the PCV valve. I took it off, shook it, and blew through it. it sounded fine and air passed right through. I put it back on and put my car on and squeezed the line coming from the pcv valve and I could feel air going through. :\ could this have to do with the valve stem seals I put in?

Edited by illjill

If everything stock is there and connected right this can't happen. You have a pipe from the rear of the VC to an oil separator - it has one hose back to the intake boot and another going back to the oil pan. 3 hoses on it. The PCV valve must pass free air one way only and stop the other way.

and i checked the PCV valve. I took it off, shook it, and blew through it. it sounded fine and air passed right through.

Which way did you blow through? Like Edde said it has to be a one way valve. Letting air only go from the VC, not into it.

Only a OEM mitsu PCV will stop the boost from going into the VC. Any aftermarket "parts store" PCV will not hold back the boost pressure, even though its listed as the correct one in their system.

I learned this when I bought a new one. It would not hold back the pressure from my lungs. The OEM one was pulled out of the garbage and tested good, so that went back on, and the new aftermarket one was thrown away instead.

I can only imagine how many have been replaced over the years from routine maintenance with these after market ones that are not "turbo" approved.

Which way did you blow through? Like Edde said it has to be a one way valve. Letting air only go from the VC, not into it.

Only a OEM mitsu PCV will stop the boost from going into the VC. Any aftermarket "parts store" PCV will not hold back the boost pressure, even though its listed as the correct one in their system.

I learned this when I bought a new one. It would not hold back the pressure from my lungs. The OEM one was pulled out of the garbage and tested good, so that went back on, and the new aftermarket one was thrown away instead.

I can only imagine how many have been replaced over the years from routine maintenance with these after market ones that are not "turbo" approved.

Yeah I haven't found a bad OEM one yet. But still even this couldn't really cause pressure to build up and hold when the engine is stopped, right?