1g mas air conversion

ernielist

So I found out my mas air unit is trashed. I have the stock unit. I was thinking about upgrading to a 1g unit. I had a few questions however -

Which is cheaper the stock unit or the 1g unit.

Does the 1g snap directly into the wiring harness that is with the car ir will mods need to be made to the harness?

Do I need to change anything else if I convert to a 1g?

Thats it lol.

The 1g is probably a little more. And you need the connector off of it. Or you can rewire your stock connector at trin the 1g mass. Thats how I did mine. I Will sell you the 1g if you want that one.

Eventually I will be doing a 1g conversion, but for now I think I would like to keep it stock until I make sure it is running correctly. Thanls for the information that helped me make my descision

i have a stock mas unit from an 87 if you are interested. it is different than the 88-89 ones. they have more hook ups on theirs.when i put my 1g on, it was a plug and play. our harness does not use nuumber 7 pin and it was removed from the one i bought and the outside edge of the connecter was cut open on the mass. my plug went directly in and never had a problem with it at all. i paid like somewhere between 65 and 85 shipped for my 1g i believe.

i have a stock mas unit from an 87 if you are interested. it is different than the 88-89 ones. they have more hook ups on theirs.when i put my 1g on, it was a plug and play. our harness does not use nuumber 7 pin and it was removed from the one i bought and the outside edge of the connecter was cut open on the mass. my plug went directly in and never had a problem with it at all. i paid like somewhere between 65 and 85 shipped for my 1g i believe.

Thanks strick but I think I will stick with the 88-89 stuff just to keep it what its supposed to be. I did do the zip tie and wastegate mods you suggested however. Once I get the new mass air in it well see how fast that ole turbo spools up.

This would be a good time to spend $350 and install a GM MAS with the 1st Gen DSM translator. It allows you to control idle mixture, cruise mixture and wide open throttle mixtures separately. This gives a much better idle, and the ability to idle 2 secondary injectors. That also allows you to crank the boost up with enough fuel to support it.

It will cost more I guess because you should also use a wideband O2 sensor for tuning it. Well worth the money, and more plug and play than a full MPI set-up. However, it is still limited due to throttle body size and injector size, but people have ran in the 12's with this set-up.

The WB O2 sensor will need a new bung on the downpipe about 18" downstream from the turbo.

you will be pleasantly surprised I bet. Let me know if there is anything else I can hep you with. Call me anytime you like

919-798-6831

Anthony aka Strickdawg(who let the dawgs out?)

Thanks strick, I think I will probably go with the 1g mass air since it takes away the boost cutoff and can handle higher boost pressures more efficiently. Ernietsi is gonna come over and give me a hand with troubleshooting the mas tommorow and help me find a 1g for the conversion.

This would be a good time to spend $350 and install a GM MAS with the 1st Gen DSM translator. It allows you to control idle mixture, cruise mixture and wide open throttle mixtures separately. This gives a much better idle, and the ability to idle 2 secondary injectors. That also allows you to crank the boost up with enough fuel to support it.

It will cost more I guess because you should also use a wideband O2 sensor for tuning it. Well worth the money, and more plug and play than a full MPI set-up. However, it is still limited due to throttle body size and injector size, but people have ran in the 12's with this set-up.

The WB O2 sensor will need a new bung on the downpipe about 18" downstream from the turbo.

I hear ya and I would love to do that, but right now I want to make sure the car is running the way it is supposed to before I start modding it a lot. Once I know its running right then I can do stuff a step at a time. Right now cost is an issue, I still need to get my replacement windshield installed and replace the master brake cylinder. Then I want to get it painted. While going fast is a priority, getting the car right is priority #1 for me right now. I am told the 12as can run 15 psi reliably and this combined with a 3 inch downpipe and exhuast will increase my power alot. So ill prob put the 1g in, send my turbo off to get rebuilt with hi perf parts to handle 15psi reliably, turn up the boost, and get my exhuast done. In that order lol.

It is certainly advisable to not raise the boost to 15 PSI unless you upgrade the fuel a bit better than just the 1G MAS.

If you don't go with the MAF-T right away, then you need to either upgrade the fuel pump and or get a cheap MSD2222 FPR so you can raise the base line fuel pressure to say, 45PSI or so.

The 1G Mas actually gives the same signal at idle, but more injector pulses than stock as the air increases. We measured it with an o-scope.

The 12A is measures 325 CFM at 15PSI, but this does not mean it is at it's peak efficiency there. That is where the flow rate is measured for most Mitsu turbos. I could be wrong, but the 12A is running a bit hot at 15PSI. I would think the peak efficiency is lower, but I don't remember what the flow map says for it.

The 1G Mas actually gives the same signal at idle, but more injector pulses than stock as the air increases. We measured it with an o-scope.

The 12A is measures 325 CFM at 15PSI, but this does not mean it is at it's peak efficiency there. That is where the flow rate is measured for most Mitsu turbos. I could be wrong, but the 12A is running a bit hot at 15PSI. I would think the peak efficiency is lower, but I don't remember what the flow map says for it.

Any way to check on the peak psi efficiency of the 12a?

I know people have run up to about 15 psi and called it a rule on 12a's.

My 1g throws an 02 code every time when cruising steady. If I lift my foot or goose it it goes back into closed loop. At idle and WOT it's great. I can throw my stock mas on there and it will NEVER EVER throw a code of any kind. It just won't tolerate WOT, runs great at part throttle and idles like a purring kitten.

Edited by Edde

I searched for a compressor map for it, but haven't found one yet.

It is perfectly fine to run it at 15PSI with supporting mods. It just seems to me that would be a tad beyond the peak efficiency range from my experience with the 12A. That baby heats up fast much above 12PSI. That doesn't mean you can't run 15 without any problems. It just means the efficiency is a little lower.

I have a 17C on my car now. If I remember correctly, it's efficiency maxes out at 17PSI, but the usable boost is a good 22.