PICS 1G BLAHA modified MAS

When I had my TBI I always wanted to try this MAS out. This is a DSM 1G MAS modded by Al Blaha. Al has been doing these for years in the DSM community.

http://a4.cpimg.com/image/D6/40/17802454-0aa3-0190012C-.jpg

What is done is the bypass sections are COMPLETELY removed. A flapper door is installed that will open only under higher vaccum conditions created at the turbo inlet. So what you get is a good idle but plenty of air into the motor on boost. Of course your fuel would have to be adjusted.

After I got the 1G MAS installed and tested this was going to be my next MAS test and I never got to it because I went MPI.

May work well with a highly modified large turbo'd TBI set up

Here's the auction that I got the pic from:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...p;category=6770

Hey Mike, I remember you saying something about this before....

Do you have a stock 1g MAS in addition to the  Al Blaha one? If you do, are you going to dyno the car with the 2 and see what performance gains you get from the Blaha?

What about going to a VPC instead?

Thanks.

Marc

I run MPI so I won't be testing any of this.

I just threw this up as something to look into for guys with big turbos and TBI.

As far as my DSM, I just did the light mods to the MAS. Nothing radical as the car is a gas and go everyday driver. A real fun everyday driver might I add. :)

You bought it! Cool!

If I can help let me know. I really wanted to try one of these out for years now but like I said I went MPI.

I've REALLY wanted to know how well it would work on a Starion.

I've got a few friends running them on their 1g's and they love them.

Keep us updated!

Ok...you lot are confusing me now...

What is the difference between the MPI system and the TBI system??

MPI was explained to me in an earlier post... so I know what they are, but what the hell is the TBI system and what are the differences between to 2 systems?

Cheers,

Tim

MPI is the system everyone seems to be upgrading to with the 4 injectors and the fuel rail

its more modern, efficient and creates more power.

The TBI or Throttle Body Injection is what we (in the US) i dont know what the Brits have, but it is like a carburator setup, with 2 injectors instead of the float and all that stuff. It also has an Intake instead of air filter mounted on top.

TBI is inefficient, testy and doesn't make big power

MPI or Multi Port injection is much better than TBI

MPI is the system everyone seems to be upgrading to with the 4 injectors and the fuel rail

its more modern, efficient and creates more power.

The TBI or Throttle Body Injection is what we (in the US) i dont know what the Brits have, but it is like a carburator setup, with 2 injectors instead of the float and all that stuff. It also has an Intake instead of air filter mounted on top.

TBI is inefficient, testy and doesn't make big power

MPI or Multi Port injection is much better than TBI

Cheers for that :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Ok...you lot are confusing me now...

What is the difference between the MPI system and the TBI system??

MPI was explained to me in an earlier post... so I know what they are, but what the hell is the TBI system and what are the differences between to 2 systems?

Cheers,

Tim

LOL do a little reading before you ever say anything like that again plz

Okay -

I got the MAS installed this weekend with the help of jolyrgr. (Help=he did it)  8)

Good News: The first thing I can see right away is the idle is smooth.  I can see no difference between it and the stock MAS at idle.

Bad news: the A/F gage is not close to the green at idle anymore.  In other words, I am looking at a fuel pump upgrade right away.  I know the stock one is not going to cut it.

I have not driven the car at all yet.  I have a very strong, low miles, stock engine that I don't want to lean out.  After the fuel pump is in I will update the thread again.

Cheers!!  (I never thought I would be able to use that!  Gotta love the internet and the folks on the other side of the pond.  ;) )

Okay -

I got the MAS installed this weekend with the help of jolyrgr. (Help=he did it)  8)

Good News: The first thing I can see right away is the idle is smooth.  I can see no difference between it and the stock MAS at idle.

Bad news: the A/F gage is not close to the green at idle anymore.  In other words, I am looking at a fuel pump upgrade right away.  I know the stock one is not going to cut it.

I have not driven the car at all yet.  I have a very strong, low miles, stock engine that I don't want to lean out.  After the fuel pump is in I will update the thread again.

Cheers!!  (I never thought I would be able to use that!  Gotta love the internet and the folks on the other side of the pond.  ;) )

Don't worry about the lean idle.

You may want to consider trying 2 secondaries with the Blaha MAS. I think it'll allow enough fuel with that MAS.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the car is up and running.  I really like this MAS: smooth idle and more power.  I have a ported TB that needs to be installed so I will make the change to 2 secondaries at that time.

I would say that if any of you see one of these for sale you should give it a try.

I will be at the TSC meet this weekend if it does not rain. :-/

Thanks Mike_K for the heads up on this one.

I will update the thread if I have anything new.

• 4 weeks later...
Hey you can adjust the baseline fuel pressure by crushing the fpr carefully.  IF u hook a vacuum gauge up to it as you crush it you can see how much additional pressur you are adding to the spring.   Or ;you can get a aftermarket brfpr..

• 3 weeks later...

Hey you can adjust the baseline fuel pressure by crushing the fpr carefully.  IF u hook a vacuum gauge up to it as you crush it you can see how much additional pressur you are adding to the spring.   Or ;you can get a aftermarket brfpr..

Where can I get an aftermarket brfpr? What does the "br" stand for? Where would I hook it up?

uhhm, I will mention this again. BCFPR is a ricer term so stop using it guys. every fuel pressure regulator is a BCFPR if the vacuum hose connected to it is under boost and it will add fuel in a 1:1 ratio relative to boost just like the stock regulator. the correct term to use is a RRFPR, rising rate being the key. that means the ratio is higher than 1:1 when under boost.

anyone who has a bigger turbo will benefit greatly from a RRFPR, cartech being the best one out there. in addition, the cartech alows the adjustment of the rate of rise which is exactly what the starion needs.

going with a baseline adjustable fuel pressure regulator will only let you raise the fuel pressure just a couple of pounds before it starts working too rich under load(before max boost) so the gains are very small compared to a RRFPR. save your money and buy the right product and enjoy the benefits.