Solid lifter clearance specs

ernielist

Now that I have my valve cover off I notcied I have solid lifters in the car. Can anyone tell me what the intake and exhuast clearance should be for the lifters? I noted that I have 3 or 4 that do not appear to be in adjustment? Thanks again, I tried the search engine but I didn't find anything?

I answered in your other post, but once again.

From Shelby:

Adj. tappets will always be heard,

I've also found that the best results are doing the adjustment on a hot engine, hot meaning recently ran, not necessary to be 190 degrees , and i use .006 for the intake and .009 for the exh., also go back over the valves after you have done them a couple of times. Time can be saved if you go by firing order , do only the intakes first, then do the exh., when right the .006 should have a little drag on it when going under the tappet, if it is real loose the lash is not tight enough, to double check your self use a .007 if it goes in then you know your too loose

i place the feeler gauge in place and snug down the adj. until the feller can't be moved easily now lock the adj. nut and the pull on the threads will give you the clearance you need to move the feller gauge, it takes a bit of practice to get it right but it's not hard to learn the feel , our engines increase the valve lash as the engine heats up unlike most cars

also never use the starter to turn the engine use a wrench on the crank pulley to turn it clockwise , never back it up , and i have found many cams that have low spots on the base circle , meaning there are spots that maybe a .001 or so smaller then other spots , if you hit a high spot on the base to ad.j the lash it can be loose at other spots , also the base of the cam lobe where the rocker starts to raise can have a bit of wear , this can cause a valve to sounds looser then it really is , the major thing is to have them all even with none making more noise then the rest,, and NEVER try to make them as quiet as hyd lifters that’s asking for trouble , you will always hear the lifter click that’s normal

there are some late model engine s that the injs make more noise then solid lifters when they are running, some injs. are very noisy when working

Jimmy

I answered in your other post, but once again.

From Shelby:

Adj. tappets will always be heard,

I've also found that the best results are doing the adjustment on a hot engine, hot meaning recently ran, not necessary to be 190 degrees , and i use .006 for the intake and .009 for the exh., also go back over the valves after you have done them a couple of times. Time can be saved if you go by firing order , do only the intakes first, then do the exh., when right the .006 should have a little drag on it when going under the tappet, if it is real loose the lash is not tight enough, to double check your self use a .007 if it goes in then you know your too loose

i place the feeler gauge in place and snug down the adj. until the feller can't be moved easily now lock the adj. nut and the pull on the threads will give you the clearance you need to move the feller gauge, it takes a bit of practice to get it right but it's not hard to learn the feel , our engines increase the valve lash as the engine heats up unlike most cars

also never use the starter to turn the engine use a wrench on the crank pulley to turn it clockwise , never back it up , and i have found many cams that have low spots on the base circle , meaning there are spots that maybe a .001 or so smaller then other spots , if you hit a high spot on the base to ad.j the lash it can be loose at other spots , also the base of the cam lobe where the rocker starts to raise can have a bit of wear , this can cause a valve to sounds looser then it really is , the major thing is to have them all even with none making more noise then the rest,, and NEVER try to make them as quiet as hyd lifters that’s asking for trouble , you will always hear the lifter click that’s normal

there are some late model engine s that the injs make more noise then solid lifters when they are running, some injs. are very noisy when working

Jimmy

Thanks I appreciate that. The engine was rebuilt 20k ago and I guess no one ever adujusted the lifters after the rebuild. It rattles alot from certain rockers so I know the valve lash on those is not right. Ill save your post for future reference so I know how to do it again. Confirming they need to be adjusted every 10k miles?

some engines you can get a fair adjustment cold but it don't seem to work out well for this engine so i'd only sugest doing it on a warm engine,,now that has nothing to do with the inital adjustment when puting the head togather,, do them the same as the hot seting .006 int and .010 exh,, it only takes 20-30 min to do it after you've done it a few times even less time then that ,the trick is to be anial about it , treat each rocker and very important cause it is ;)