Trip to M.I.C.

Had the day off today and drove the hour trip down to Hialeah, FL to talk to the guys at MIC Turbo and have them look at my car. I got my hands on a turbo from a Bentley from a friend at work and looks like its gonna be useful after all.

The turbo right off the bentley was in this form.....

Garrett Oil Cooled   TO4E with a 1.30 A/R , P trim.

Now that turbine housing is wayy to big for my car, so after a few hours of cramming

we're gonna use the core. The Compressor housing is gettin machined out to 62-1 spec with a new compressor wheel. The exhaust is gonna use a tangential undivided

.69 (70) housing with the P trim wheel.

Let me just say these guys were great to work with. If you ever need turbo work, go to MIC Turbo. Genuinely Knowledgable and willing to work with you from all angles.   I'm dealing with Alex and mike there, they are also gonna weld a new flange on my header and set me up with all the parts for a new downpipe and oil fittings.  They really wanted to see me go with a T-64, i couldnt believe that...that turbo is HUGE! But they swore it was prob the best route for big HP....im not looking for that drastic of a change, just wanna run more efficiently...

Taking the car off the road this weekend to tear it apart. I'll keep you posted.

-Neil

Ya their good!

Mike knows his stuff. Has been building turbos for us ever since I've been on the boards.

That turbo is one size larger on both the compressor and exhasut trims to mine. Same A/R on the housings. Split tang ROCKS!

That P trim is pretty big though. That's the only thing I would be a little concerned about. BUT the split tang WILL offset some of that lag.

Good choice!! That Garrett will SMOKE that lil' old 20G you got on there.  ;D

Now That I reread it yes he dids say open inlet... oops...  :-[

I would think that turbo is going to have some  lag with an open turbine P trim 62-1, but Mike knows what he's doing.

I'll be very interested in that turbo vs the combinations I have.  8)

i was wondering if anyone knew, the pros/cons of using a on center turbine housing...this was an option they gave me, but it didnt look like it would fit right. They look a little more restrictive, but MIC said they make more power....?

-Neil

any idea why the split tang spools quicker?

Yeah.. The theory is that since you divide the housing 1&2/3&4, you will be able to capture even frequencies all the time rather than the alternating frequencies a 180 opposed 4 cyl will output. The pressure frequency averages will be high for each rotation.

Should help spool, not to mention I would imagine it keeps the velocities higher (although this is a horrible inefficient way to achieve higher velocities if thats your goal). The only expense is frictional air flow loss due to the greater air/surface contact patch in the exhuast housing inlet.

Joel

i was wondering if anyone knew, the pros/cons of using a on center turbine housing...this was an option they gave me, but it didnt look like it would fit right. They look a little more restrictive, but MIC said they make more power....?

-Neil

I read your question like 5 times, and wasn't sure what the question is...

I think your missing a word or two in this part:

... of using a on center  ...

Joel

in addition to what Joel said...

a split tang has divided chambers that pressurizes quicker because you are pressurizing 2 small chambers vs a large open chamber. If you mate that with a free flowing header you have quite the combo.

So you can run a larger A/R and not lag as bad.

Garrett makes a split tang .70 A/R too.

It'll fit just the same as the open chamber... except you use a v clamp instead of a flange to the downpipe.

http://a2.cpimg.com/image/8E/1D/16364942-a22e-02000200-.jpg

maybe just a letter, as in... what are the advantages of using an on center turbo housing?

I keep reading this one, and I don't get it? I say it aloud and I still can't make sense of it...

...an on center turbo housing... hmmm. I don't know <shrug>...

Joel

Garrett has 3 turbine housing available in the T4 family.

http://64.225.76.178/catalog/images/t4_hs.jpg

http://www.turbodriven.com/en/turbofacts/images/img_turbine_27.jpg

Above is an on center. It is how the TDO5 turbine housing is set up.

http://www.turbodriven.com/en/turbofacts/images/img_turbine_32.jpg

Above is a split tang. Notice the how the casting is 2 seperate chambers and the center is a dividing wall.

Here's exactly what I mean when I speak about the advantages of a split tang. Article taken from: http://www.turbodriven.com/en/turbofacts/design_turbine.asp

The turbine is rarely subjected to constant exhaust pressure. In pulse turbocharged commercial diesel engines, twin-entry turbines allow exhaust gas pulsations to be optimised, because a higher turbine pressure ratio is reached in a shorter time. Thus, through the increasing pressure ratio, the efficiency rises, improving the all-important time interval when a high, more efficient mass flow is passing through the turbine. As a result of this improved exhaust gas energy utilisation, the engine's boost pressure characteristics and, hence, torque behaviour is improved, particularly at low engine speeds.

How about this Joel... Tang as in tangential as in the flange and exhasut is introduced on the outside or tangent to the turbine housing.  "On center" or in the center as in the flange and exhaust is introduced in the center of the circle or turbine housing.  

I've read up on the split-tang housings and there seems to arguements for both sides. I called MIC again today and talked to Mike some more on this subject and he basically put it like this; If it lags and doesnt spool fast enough with the way we are building it, just bring it back and we'll keep at it free of charge til we get it right. So I feel alot better about the whole thing and hopefully we get it right the first time!

-Neil

Jeez Neil,

I don't even think the ink has dried on that check you wrote to Bill, and you've already got it in a performance shop for a larger turbo?  ;D

Guys,

I think we have a serious StarQuester on our hands.

P.S. You can just mail that old turbo to me  8)

• 2 weeks later...

You are right P 70 is large but I think that car can make lots or horsepower on race gass. It's a gamble, if it doesn't pay off we will work something on a O .58 or some of the other housing I showed you. Can't wait to see how it works.

Alex C

micturbo@hotmail.com

AIM:boostmyride

You are right P 70 is large but I think that car can make lots or horsepower on race gass. It's a gamble, if it doesn't pay off we will work something on a O .58 or some of the other housing I showed you. Can't wait to see how it works.

Alex C

micturbo@hotmail.com

AIM:boostmyride

Alex.... hey can you hang out around here a little while?

We could use some great turbo knowledge here.

I've worked with you guys over the years, Charles Dufour used to pop around here.

Mike over by you just built me up a nice TO4

That .70 split tang housing will work great. I just wonder if an O trim might be a little bit better for spool up... would you think about swapping to an O trim vs going to a .58 if Neil finds the turbo is a bit too laggy?

BTW I got an MIC built TO4B 60-1 O trim .70 split tang  ;D

We used the P because it is what Neil had. We also had a used .70 housing that for the cost was worth the gamble. I will be here, I have had 4 Starquest rides and would like to continue playing with them. This club seem's well put together with good participation. I feel at home.

Alex C