HKS exhaust

DOOMID

Kelly had a killer deal on a  3" exhaust sys (less cat and muffler) for $295, i'm not sure if he's looking for 1 more person still. it is under the group buys, but if you already have the HK$, then install it, I've never heard anything bad about them!

I had the old HKS Sport with the downpipe on my old '87. I LOVED it!! It sounded great, never gave me any problems, flowed well. Nothing but praise from me!! I would recommend it. I would also recommend some Q-pads or dynamat in the rear hatch to cut some of the noise inside.

Yep, even with the stock turbo. I was running 16 psi though. 3" is definately a must especialy if you plan on going with a larger turbo in the future. I know some people swear that 2.5 is the way to go but I've tried both 2.5" and the 3" was the clear winner.

Later,

Jerry

• 5 months later...

i had it. its nice and well made but the pipe diameter is probably going to limit HP to about 300hp. the worst thing about it is the sound. its way to quiet. barely louder than stock and the tip is wimpy looking.

I would go with kellys also.

I had a TEP downpipe, stock middle exhaust section, with gutted cat, and HKS catback exhaust.  The car was quick and the exhaust had a nice rumble.  Now I have a full 3 inch.  No comparison whatsoever.  3 inch is the way to go.

I have the old version of HKS cat back that was 65mm.  These are probably getting hard to find.  

Question?

Has anyone encountered problems with clearance at the rear near the axle?  I have had my car in the exhaust shop twice to try and fix the rattle and rub.  I've had the exhaust ovaled to help with clearance, no luck.  I would imagine 3" has to be even tighter.  A little of background info on my car might explain the lack of room.  My car has the tokico struts installed and suspension techniques springs.  Also using suspension techniques front and rear sway bars.  Additional 150lbs of weight in the rear of car ( stereo equipment ).  (Car lowered by almost 2" with suspension and weight additions)

Any ideas and fit of the 3" on similiar suspension layouts.

thanks in advance,

gary    

I have the 2.5 HKS catback on mine.  Car came with it.  Not sure on the muffler, but it sounds great!  I love hearing it purr under from the pedal.  3 inch is prob. a bit better, but I'm in no condition to change.  The end pipe did barely rattle against the gas tank when I got it, but was quickly bent a wee bit to eliminate that.  You'll want at least a 1/2 inch clearance w/ all pipes to leave room for any vibrations so that doesn't happen to you too.  Good luck w/ whatever you decide on.  Bed time....I'm exhausted.

-Matt

I've got an Hks system from turbo to tailpipe and have loved it.  Best thing about it, is it's all stainless steel... it will never rust.

I also bought Kellys 3"... I hear and believe there is no comparison.

The Hks was good for 18 hp increase.

And... there is a catback system in a local junkyard on an 89 located in So. Cal.