Painted?dipped Intercooler

Painting the IC reduces the heat exchange coeficient and lowers the effectiveness of the IC.  Basically not a good thing to do.  If your all black and you want noticable why not polish it? Shiney chromelike polished alum is noticable. Especially against a black backdrop.

There is a coating and also a paint they use on radiators that actually helps the heat transfer.  Of course this is mainly used on copper radiators but It should work on the aluminum intercoolers as well.  The paint only comes in black though so you might not want it.  Be sure to get RADIATOR paint and not like brake caliper paint (had a customer do that on his ATI intercooler, lost 3 hp).  But that is all I know of as far as coatings.

A polished IC looks geat, but polishing actually reduces

the heat transfer of the IC.

It is simple physics, dark colors transfer heat better

and a polished surface is the least effective.   That is why

you feel heat reflected off of a mirror.

However you do not want the paint to be thick or shiny.

Thick paint tends to insulate, and shiny paint is not as good

for heat transfer as flat finnish.  So a thin coat of flat black

is about as effective as you can get.

I disagree, any paint on the intercooler will kee it from doing its job... even a thing coat...

and whats the resoning behind

"A polished IC looks geat, but polishing actually reduces

the heat transfer of the IC. "

I dont get that, it would probably make it so it cools faster...

A rough unpolished surface actually has more surface area

because all those minute little bumps and surface imperfections

give more area to dissipate or absorb heat.  

That is why flat finish paint absorbs/dissipates heat better that a shiny finish.

Ever look at hot water solar panels?  They paint them flat black for a reason.

Now you might decide that it looks so much better polished that you are willing

to give up a bit of heat transfer, that is your choise, but understand what you

are doing.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Paul87Quest

The end tanks are not the heat exchangers though, the radiator part is.....I imagine that 98% of the heat transfer occurs at the fins on the intercooler. I think it's safe to polish....not to mention even the best polishing job looks dull after a couple months without a thorough cleaning.

If by rough you mean allowing the aluminum to oxidize, I would imagine THAT would trap heat.

OKay how about stripping the intercooler? when I got my car I put a quick thin coat of silver spray paint over it. If I wanted to get it back to bare metal whats the best way, beings as stripper usualy takes some abrasion (not possible on the fins).

Guest Paul87Quest
I would use Jasco paint remover in a gold spray can (I've seen it at Home Depot and a lot of other larger home improv stores)....just be super careful that you don't let any get on the front spoiler or bumber or you'll have yourself a repaint. Let it sit for about 15 minutes, then get out the 'ol hose with a pressure nozzle and blast away...should take almost all the paint off. If there are stubborn spots you may need to repeat

• 2 months later...
Two things... First the intercooler is designed to take advantage of the cooling properties of alum. a black finish will ABSORB heat.. which is a bad thing... you ever touched black asphalt in the sun compared to concrete... and the other thing I polished my intercooler with no ill effects I used 320-400-600-1000 grit paper then used steel wool the fine woodworking with some mothers alum polish then just a cloth with the polish and alot of buffing and it looks great

When talking about colors, white, black, shinny dull, ect. you guys are talking about heat genrated by the sun light.  The intecooler will see sun light occasionally during your driving but other parts under the hood that wont see sun light are less of a concern.  So polishing the IC may remove a small amount of cooling capacity but it will be minmal.  However, painting the IC cooling fins will clog it and result in less air flow and ultimately decrease performance.  

i had it painted white on one of my cars. it was dumb and made it ugly. did it affect performance? not that i could tell.

I think as long as the paint is not very thick to insulate the fins, it probably wont matter much. you can get some of those dining room silverware polished that are in liquid form and dip it in the liquid to get a polishing effect on the fin areas that cant be rubbed.

Anyone ever think to try annodizing? I've delt with a lot of annodized aluminum, you can probably get an intercooler done in any color for $300 and it should not effect efficiency at all. Annnozidizing is basically dying the metal by corroding a color into the surface layer, it does create micro pitting in the material but nothing major.  It is also a nice easy to keep clean surface and lasts a long time when properly maintained (as in... don't clean it with abrasives or harsh chemicals).