SR20DET swap possibilities

just contemplating all sorts of swap ideas and this swap seems like it would be a good one. To do it however, you would need to get a front clip (most likely from an S13), so you could get the harness and ECU needed...etc. I have a friend who can get these clips easily, which was part of the reason I considered it. Anyways, It would very likely be simpler than the 63 swap, being that its a RWD config, so the manifolds and everything wouldn't need to be touched (I.E. reversed) and there wouldnt need to be any custom tranny/bellhousing or anything, you could use the nissan trans (although, im sure the shifter would be in a different place, and you would need to work out the shift cables/ cylanders, or whatever nissan uses if youre using a manual) The questions then begin to arise however about the transmission. I have no idea about the nissan trannies or how they take power, but I will go out onto a limb and ASSUME (oh-oh) that it couldn't be much worse than the starquest trans. I'm not sure about the driveshaft, but you could probably have a shop make you one the right length that could fit in the nissan trans and the starquest rear end. Now, of course you need to custom fab the motor mounts, trans mounts, and MANY other things, that I'll overlook for the sake of keeping this post short. There is also Tremendous aftermarket suppourt for this engine and there are many examples that produce huge horsepower numbers. Even though this engine didn't come in US cars, the parts are still very easy to obtain in the US.

thoughts........

thanks

well, one problem you'd run into is making an exhaust run down the driver's side of the car...  the head sits in the opposite direction as the SQ head does (turbo on driver's side and intake man. on pass side).  The RWD SR20 tranny is strong though.  My ex-roomie has a 93 240sx making 335RWHP and 345lb/ft of torque at 18psi and he's had no problems out of the tranny at all.  actually i love the way that trans. is geared.  it does pretty well on the low end but absolutely lets the car scream as well.  it makes very good use of the power on my friend's car.

I have toyed with the idea of a 1JZ or 2JZ supra motor though.  It would fit for the most part, and the head flow is in the same direction.  like the SR20, it would be a ton of work, but bad in the end.

I have done a SR20 swap in an 89 240SX. NOT fun at all. A/C is totaly out of the question. Wiring is a total mess. I thought the 4G63 harness was a pain. One look at the head was enough for me to forget about the idea for me 510. I can't believe how they get the power out of that head. The lifter is right in the middle of the ports.

The port spilts in 2 around the lifter then joins again. All this takes place in a matter of 2-3 inches. I would bet that that the G54B head flows as much as the SR20DET head. One of the advantages of using the SR20DET is the fact that it is all alum. So it is a very light semi-powerful package.

It cost my buddy approx. $2800 for the engine, transmission and wiring harness. But the harness wasn't even complete. It was missing the igniter, which is from an Infinity Q45 . Not exactly cheap. I think it cost him $350 form a junk yard. Then you have only 200hp. That is about $15.75 per hp. WOW!!! Not even the time and labor to do the swap. I could only imagine the fab work to put it in a Starion.

But it would be a sweet car when done.

Along with the Nissan theme, why not a KA24DE, then turbo it?

Because the SR-20DET can easily handel 500hp with the right mods.  KA24DE like to blow up at around 275-300hp.  hmmm sounds like the G54BT

most stock NA engines blow up when you double the HP with boost...  a local guy with a built KA24DE-T makes 438hp on race gas.  but he's been through 4 motors now doing it.  he wishes he would have just gone with the SR.

sr20det would make decent power in a starquest, but dunno if it's enough to justify the ha$$le of such a swap. 340whp / 340wtq not hard at all

Yep the tranny / motor has sweet gear match but our 3.54 may spoil that party. s13 has 4.10:1

Quest4Power, sounds like Bailey's car

SR head flows pretty good, makes comparable hp with similiar dsm bolt on combinations

>>"the SR-20DET can easily handel 500hp with the right mods"

500hp? lot$a money will be the ONLY "right mods". Valvetrain crappy for hi revs and bottom end will not "live" above ~400whp

>>"KA24DE like to blow up at around 275-300hp.

nonsense. I have a buddy that has kicked around his sr counterparts... won't even test him any longer. He's been going fast on a stock ka24de that he turbocharged.

Remember, starquests are 400 lbs heavier than s13s, so torque is your friend. Fastest 3000+ lb nissan on http://forums.freshalloy.com/ ran 10.8s FULLY LOADED. No sr is close. That car was powered by a STOCK ka24de with ONLY aftermarket pistons and rods added. t4 + spray.

With all this silly jdm hype, folks are yanking out the "truck motor" (ka24de), so they can be snatched up cheap... so it might not be such a bad idea.

U want your starquest to move ??