Synthetic?

I would like to know who is running synthetic oil and how it affects performance and other issues with the car.  I myself would like to run Royal Purple (mostly just because I've seen the improvement in other people's vehicles and also because I can get hooked up with some) and see some easy, cheap improvement on power.  I only have 84000 miles on the engine, if that helps.  Any advice is welcome. Thanks

Jason

I'm running RP in mine and mainly noticed it to be smoother. The car only has 19,652 miles on it and the guy before me didn't use synthetic oil.

I have the Turbo magazine article that shows a HP boost from RP on a dyno, and between the RP oil and my K&N air filter, the car feels faster.

The only other oil I would ever put in my cars is Red Line.

I would also recommend the K&N oil filter, great product!

A couple of my friends use RP in their rebuilt engines.  They like it a lot.  Only thing is it'll cost you about $30-50 per oil change, unless you just change filters every other change.

There are just some things in which you get what you pay for, and some things should not be skimped(sp?) on.

Russ

I would save your money.  I know some people swear by synthetics, and theres nothing wrong with that, but I have done a bit of research on it and I just don't see any justification in the extra cost.  But if you do have the extra money for it then I would go for it.  As long as you change you oil every 3000 or so then you just can't beat good old dino oil.

Frank

I really like the synthetics. :) They really hold up better in a turbo motor. The only problem with them comes when you switch over to it in a high milage car thats ran regular oil all its life, it usually causes the seals to leak becouse it cleans out everything. And of course don't use synthetic during breakin. :o

later TOM

You know, I'm probably gonna start using synthetic just to get that extra boost of power out of the engine, and I could probably also use the extra couple miles to the gallon.  But how long does synthetic last in an engine?  In regular vehicles, under normal use, I've seen RP last 8,000 miles easy, but how does the turbo affect that?  

There are a dozen factors you take into account for how long any oil will last....

How do you drive? Hard, relaxed, in stop and go traffic, mainly the highway, etc....

Consumer Reports did a test on oil a few years back and had some interesting results;

They tested different oils in taxi cabs in NYC, and what did they find? Not much difference in oils, synth VS synth, natural VS natural AND, that ALL OF THE OILS TESTED DID NOT NEED TO BE CHANGED EVERY 3000 MILES!!!!!!

Even under those severe conditions, all the oils were completely fine after 5,000-7,000 miles!!!!!!

Now you try and convince any car fanatic, especially of a turbo car, to not change the oil for that long.  ;)

With synth, I change my oil every 4,000-5,000 miles and have had no problems what-so-ever, and I do drive all of my cars pretty hard. When I change the oil at those intervals it's no worse for wear then when I used to change it every 3,000.

Most here will tell you to change it every 3,000, it's really up to you, but I see no point unless you regularly drag race the car.

You're in luck, the TSC (Texas StarQuest Club) is one of the better organized clubs going. KO is a great guy, I've done business with him a few times, and he's the funniest redneck I know!  ;)

Check them out at;

http://208.48.48.247/tsc/tschome.htm

It may take a few for the site to load, just be patient, you won't regret it.

Hope this helps.  :)

• 5 months later...

on the question of extending mileage on synthetic oil changes, i just finished skimming through a book i downloaded called "the motor oil bible". it has a lot of technical specs on motor oils; synth, blend and full organic.

the specs for synthetic oils are really amazing, which supports the extended oil change intervals. one of the main concerns though, especially with turbos, is the oil is still getting filtered properly, that is, does it need changed?

the author states that a really good test to determine if your filter needs changing is to drive the car at highway speeds for say, 45 minutes (in other words, make sure it's fully warmed up), and then pop the hood and feel the oil filter. if it's too hot to touch, it's still working, still filtering. if it's cool or just warm (although on our cars i can't imagine anything under the hood NOT being hot), that means the circulation system is bypassing the filter because it's clogged (dirty, in need of replacement).      

the downside with synthetics is, as already mentioned, the leakage from seals & gaskets on high mileage engines. the synthetic refiners have addressed that issue somewhat, and if you get the book, there are specs that can show you which ones are best at preventing leaks.

overall, though, synthetics are the way to go...the specs speak for themselves.

the link is www.motor-oil-bible.com

Synthetic has a MUCH higer heat tolerance.

Remember the mobil commercial where they had conventional oil in a fry pan, and had synthetic oil in the fry pan? The conventional oil burnt black and the synthetic oil remained in a thin viscosity state with no burn factors.

This type of higher heat tolerance is a definate advantage on a turbo motor.

I use Mobil1 on my Quest and my Blazer gets whatever is on sale at the time, but every 3000 miles it's changed.

Either way I would rather see someone change their oil more often using conventional oils than someone using sythetic oils for 10,000 miles. Fuel contaminates oil. Oil filters are for particulate matter, not chemical contamination.

I agree with the view that synthetic oils are better than

conventinal oil, but the only documentation I have seen

that indicates the difference between various synthetic oils

has been in some oils advertising stuff.

I run my cars on Mobile 1 because I can get it at Walmart

for less than $4 a quart (I have several cases from the last sale)

and that seems reasonable to me.  

However I have not seen anything from an independent

test organization to persuade me to switch to RP, Red Line,

or other "super oil".

I am not saying that one of these "super oils" might not have some advantage,

but once you have made the jump to one of the big brand synthetics

(Mobile, Castrol etc.) it is difficult to support the cost benefit from making

another big jump in cost for whatever the improvement is.

If someone can point me to independent test results that can be used

to justify the big additional cost, I would be grateful.

I also use Mobile 1 in my quest.  I really haven't found any justification to spend $6+ per quart for anything else.  If its good enough for Porsche and Corvette its ok for me.  I've been using it since breakin of the new motor so I don't have a befor and after to compare.  No complaints yet though.

hehe, we definately have a lot of Mobil1 users here. :)  I personally use Mobil1 in the '86 (well, I did... damn I miss driving that car, I really should put it back together), but I use Castrol Syntec in the '88.  I have a 45min commute each way every day, and change my oil every 5k miles.  Still comes out very clean at 170,000 miles.  Geez, I keep racking up the miles like crazy on the '88.  In my tranny I run Redline.  The difference is absolutely amazing.  Before, it'd shift like crap when cold.  Now, it slides into gear like butter, and only gets better when the tranny is warm. :)  

Mobil 1 here also ,  yes normal oil can be cooked , it actually can coke up in the oil lines of a turbo car and slow down the flow , synth. has a much higher tolerance for high temps  .

I know of two people who drove there mid 80s turbo Mopars to almost 100K miles with no turbo problems , the cars where known for turbo problems , they always used Mobil 1

I've run Synthetic in my Quest since new (after first 10,000 miles or so) and it has 137k on it now.  I did a compression test and was like 5-7lbs pressure off of the original factory spec on the first cylinder.  (my other three had lower pressures due to cracks in the head)  Ring wear and valve seal wear is where you will really see the difference from synthetic.  I have also read a post from a guy who owned a BMW, ran full sythetic since new, had 197k miles, changed the oil every 10k miles, did a compression test and was dead on factory spec on all cylinders.  You will see arguments both ways, but my personal experience has convinced me.  Besides, if you aren't supposed to use synthetic in a new engine cause it won't allow the rings to seat right because of it is such an excellent lubricant, doesn't that tell you something?  Does to me.  I have also converted 2 high milage cars both over 135k, to synthetic and have not had any leak problems.  Oh and I run Mobil 1.

Raymond

I have run Mobil1 15w-50 with slick 50 in my Starquest since I have bought it. I so far have put 65,000 miles on it and most of them were abuse. Syn. lubricant is made to not breakdown and lose its viscocity even under the most extreme heat conditions, which a turbo engine will produce. I also purchase and use that new fram x-tra guard filter,  it's not cheap but it's worth it!  ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest surferdude

I believe based on the 4 ball wear test, AMSOIL 20w50 came out on top, that included Mobil 1 Tri-Synthetic 10w50 which finished LAST!  Havoline was second!  Now, it didn't have RP in the test, but it is a good synthetiic oil.  I have read about a test comparing AMSOIL and RP, with AMSOIL winning that wear test.  AMSOIL has an oil which can be safely run to 25,000 miles.  Some of their diesel engine oil applications can go over 100,000 miles.  

But after seeing the improvement in my Si (a free revving engine, ya know) and my Sierra's 5.3L V-8, I will stick with the expensive AMSOIL stuff, which is pure synthetic, and not derived from a base of crude oil.   As for breaking in an engine with synthetic oil, that is a myth and not based on facts.  

IF it wasn't wise, then Porsche is the biggest fool in the automotive industry along with Chevy for using it in the Corvette.  Granted they use Mobile 1, but it is a vote of confidence for using synthetic's for breaking in an engine.

Derek