DUAL INTERCOOLERS on an 87! pics!

Adi

I am in the prosess of fabbing in a second intercooler next to the stock one....I did some math and decided this should help cool the air about 25% more in addition to the cooling of the stocker.  

I moved the radiator overflow to undernethe of the coil when in stock location...it rub gently against the a/c pump but no damage should occur.  to the bottle of the pump.  I removed the a/c fan from infront of the condensor.  the bracket that holds it and the bracket that held the overflow can too.  Should fit right in...all I have to do now is pipe it all.  If you are interested in more details...let me know and when I finish...I will post pictures on my site of the mod.  and I will tell you all how well it actually improved my performance.

Pictures...

http://www.dandjproductions.com/starquest/mods/index.html

I am using an i/c out of my starion and chopping off the long pipe.  

You said it ernie.  Pressure drop.  Until I get a 16g or larger turbo I am not going to attepmpt this mod.  As for the radiator....it may run the car a little hotter but shouldn't be noticable.  The radi fans would pull air through and at an idle this would further cool the system....too bad I don't have a 18g,,,, :(

Not to rain on your parade, but I think you'll find that you'll get the same (if not better) efficiancy from something like a modified Fuso intercooler with less pressure drop.  I could be wrong on that, but it might be something to look into.  Not saying I wouldn't mind seeing that setup anyway though. :)  

what about cutting the end tanks off and having the two welded together.   cut one side off your first one and then the opposite tank off the extra then weld em up it'll be longer but should fit with a big enough shoe horn.

kane

Yeah I've thought about that too but not end to end,  I just wondered if two could be stacked and welded and then new big end tanks welded to the new assembly.  even if you could use 8 or 10 rows from the second intercooler it should help.  Any thoughts?

With your BIGGG turbo you should be able to go high enough on boost to make things right...I am still running a 12a so It will just hurt me with out killing my turbo trying to get it to push too much

• 1 month later...

you should try to run a pipe from your airbox ( a bigger pipe the the ic pipes) and have that go to an intercooler, and then have the filter on the other end of the intercooler.( with bigger pipes on that end too)

it sounds hard..and it probably is...but i think that if you cool the air before it gets into he turbo that might help in cooling the turbo and the air.

and you won't lose any boost.

it's something that i wan't to try...but no extra intercooler to use.

i'm not joking about this idea...it should work.

you should try to run a pipe from your airbox ( a bigger pipe the the ic pipes) and have that go to an intercooler, and then have the filter on the other end of the intercooler.( with bigger pipes on that end too)

it sounds hard..and it probably is...but i think that if you cool the air before it gets into he turbo that might help in cooling the turbo and the air.

and you won't lose any boost.

it's something that i wan't to try...but no extra intercooler to use.

i'm not joking about this idea...it should work.

So you mean you want to have an intercooled intake pipe, essentially a cold air intake with an intercooler inline right.  I think that's interesting.  What I wonder right off the bat though is this.  Can an intercooler drop temps below ambient?  I think the only reason an intercooler drops temps is because ambient air flowing through the fins is so much cooler than the compressed hot air coming out of the turbo.  If I'm following you, your setup would have intake air entering the intercooler through a filter, passing through the core and entering the turbo.  The problem is that the air passing over the fins of the core is the same temperature as the air entering the intercooler pipe through your filter.  What's going to cause it to cool down even a degree?  If I'm not following you please explain.  

intercoolers are cooled off by the air that passes through the fins right? and my idea would work best if the car is in motion.

if you make the intake pipe from the filter to the intercooler smaller...then that would cause the air to flow quicker then using like a 3 inch pipe.  the suction of the turbo should pull the air fast enough through the inter cooler and cool it off somewhat.

also i noticed that my intercooler works best in the rain.  so that must mean that when the intercooler is wet.  it cools much better.  

so if the intercooler were to be wet the air that passes through the first intercooler would be somewhat cooler before entering the turbo.

i know that the turbo itself get

let me know what you think about this.

thanks

well yeah I mean intercooler sprayers are pretty common, for just that reason.  Some guys here have hooked them up using some very inexpensive parts and I suppose cooling the intake air that way could be of some use as well as the compressor discharge air.  I just don't know how many degrees of cooling you're going to get from air that is the same temp as the air you're trying to cool.  It's would be like trying to melt an ice cube in 32.1 degree water.    Granted, when you move the car air flows over the fins, but 75 degree air is still 75 degrees at 75 mph.  Sure theres a "wind chill factor" but I think that has to do with the moisture on our skin and wouldn't really relate to dry metal.  I'm no engineer so this is just how it "seems" to me.  And believe me I am in no way trying to shoot down your idea or thwart your initiative.  I just found the idea interesting and figured some conversation about it might be worth while before you invest alot of time and effort into it.  As for making the filter to I/C pipe smaller to speed up the air flow, I don't know about that.  I mean I guess if you could design a venturi shaped inlet you might get some acceleration in the air stream but the whole idea is to relieve the turbo of it's duty to "suck" the air in as much as you can, and I fear you'd be creating a restriction that would increase the turbo's work load.  The notion of accelerating air before it reaches the turbo is a very good idea, and if you find that your idea can do that then I'd love to hear more about it.  The fact is though, that if it were safe to leave the turbo inlet open to the atmosphere, and you had an ecu that load sensed off a MAP instead of a MAS that would be best.  Where would you mount the second intercooler, just out of curiosity.

if i used a small intercooler from an audi tt that should fit where the airbox used to fit...and if not..i'm sure i could work with it.  

to solve that problem of making the turbo work extra....i could make a scoop fromt he right from airdam.  so at even low speeds it should push the air from the scoop as it gets smaller that should create some speed in the air.

and the air box can be replace with some sort of pipe big enough to hold all the sensors.

let me know if you think of any other ways that this could hurt the turbo or any other ways that i can improve this idea so that it might be created

thanks

a friend and I are trying to hook up some a/c to the intercooler.  Our idea is to find a small electric pump and use a brake line bent back and forth across the intercooler and around it.  Not sure its gonna work, but were both curious and have too much free time apparently ::)

the intercooling idea is very effective.. there is an method called the bernoulli effect    in which air flow will always try to remain constent even when force through a restricted opening. the theory states: for horizontal fluid flow, an increase in velocity of flow will result in a decrease of static pressure. this is bernoulli's law. the most common example is an airplane wing or an airfoil insuch that air flowing over the top of the  wing is faster than the air flowing under the wing, and there is less pressure on top than on bottom resulting in lift. well if you guys know some thing about weather than you know low pressure zone are associated with cooler air and high are associated with hot air. when air passes through the intercooler it tends to speed up in order to equalize flow an in retun cooling the air. to see a very simple experiment of this plug a vacume cleaner to one end of the intercooler and barely hold  your hand over the other opening letting air flow through your fingers and you will notice the air get cold and also the intercoller will get cold due to low pressure, which also means dense air.      there so intercooling the inlet to the turbo will create more oxygen for the 2.6 to burn. 8)