My 1988 Chrysler Conquest TSI

CaliConquestAlex

Ya I put the 95 lb injectors in as well and it took some time to get the car started and running again with so much more fuel flow. I've gotta re-map the whole fuel curve. Working from scratch to tune the fuel maps is a PITA! The sound of my engine revving is music to my ears tho.

• 3 years later...

Bringing this back from the dead...The car lives in Vegas now and is slowly getting worked on. It hasn't run in over 2 years. After taking the head off to inspect the pistons and valves a new Ajusa gasket was installed along with ARP head studs. I also installed a 3 row SR20DET radiator and bypassed the heater core. I mounted the oil dip stick to the magna and installed a 1" spacer on the TB for additional FPR clearance. Also replaced the 3/8" fuel feed and return lines with new.

The megasquirt 2 ECU was sent out to Scott87star for upgrade to the newest MS2/extra firmware as well as some hardware changes. I'm changing from EDIS to direct coil control with wasted spark. Basically using the EDIS coil without the EDIS brain for more control, including spark rev limiter. I also added boost control functionality. and PWM IAC. Adding the boost controller and IAC will be on hold until the car runs.

I had the last week off work so I made great progress toward getting the car running again.

Work done:

New Clutch Master and Slave cylinders.

Installed MK1 Short Shifter with Hurst T-handle shift knob and custom vinyl shift boot

Removed Power Steering lines in anticipation of manual steering box swap.

Added 3 SPDT relays for EDIS, Megasquirt, and Electric fans switched power.

Mounted the EDIS Coil to the head

Started re-wiring the Megasquirt Relay board for the new Direct Coil Control setup. (Ran out of 14 gauge wire)

Re-routed the main 4 gauge power line through the cabin to the hatch area instead of under the car.

Put in some of the rear interior parts so that I could install the TEP rear strut bar with battery box.

Located the oil pressure and water temp wires for the dash gauges to work.

Fixed the PO's ghetto rigged headlight wiring and installed a new headlight relay.

Still to do to get engine running (LOTS OF WIRING):

1) Wire fuel pump +12V to megasquirt relay board FP pin

2) Wire EDIS Coil pins 1&3 to the Quadspark box and wire coil pin 2 to the 25uf capacitor and switched 12V.

3) Wire VR sensor to the megasquirt relay board using the tach pin for the VR+ and grounding the negative pin and the shield

4) Mount the electric fans on the radiator without the shroud and wire the fans

5) Wire the EDIS coil to the tach wire on the car with the diodes for the dash tach to work

6) Wire the relay board's Ground, Constant 12V, and Switched 12V

7) Wire the GM IAT sensor to the relay board

8) Wire the GM CLT sensor to the relay board

9) Wire the LC1 wideband sensor and connect Wideband O2 output to O2 pin on relay board

I ordered some more wire from amazon which should be arriving tomorrow. I look forward to having the car started in the next few weeks. I'll provide updates here as a make more progress.

Edited by CaliConquestAlex

Where's a picture of the MotoCam360 hood struts and foglight covers?? :D

If you're ever interested in changing that air diversion panel to black ABS, then let me know.... I'll make you a deal.

T.

Where's a picture of the MotoCam360 hood struts and foglight covers?? :D

If you're ever interested in changing that air diversion panel to black ABS, then let me know.... I'll make you a deal.

T.

Tim I'm waiting to install the hood strut kit because I am probably going to get a new hood. Mine has a few dents and Scotty has a bunch in better condition. Also, I saw the ABS diversion panel you did for Scotty and I will probably be interested in something similar soon. Right now I'm trying to get the car mechanically set then I'm going to focus on the aesthetics. I'm definitely looking forward to the smoked foglight covers. They're going to look sweet!

Sounds great.

Scotty got the last smoked acrylic air diversion panel because he needed semi-transparency for all the chrome piping he's got. We stock black ABS panels now, and they are actually are the most durable material and look great. I use mine for a tool shelf when I'm working on the car all the time and it still looks new... you won't get that with smoked acrylic - fyi

I did drive it once this year ! :) i just installed velvet ropes around it , a white glove wearing guard is planned for the future , Dusty the 88 will be out of the garage again for the JCCS in Sept .

Update:

I finished all of the megasquirt wiring and i cranked the car over and I'm getting a smooth 200prm signal while cranking. It didn't fire so I'm going to check a few more settings and verify the timing and it should fire right up. Getting a clean tach signal is a huge success!

Thanks! I've still got a few things to clean up, but I timed it with a light this morning so it's rock solid. I need to install my electric fans still. Can't leave it running for long in this heat, it warns up fast when it's not moving and there's no fans. I also installed my synchronic bov so there's no more compressor surge. Surprisingly, there are absolutely no leaks of oil or water. Once the engine is cleaned up and idling well, I'll put the interior in and it should be ready for the streets.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvLKgYGPXXw&feature=youtu.be

I installed my electric fans with a thermostatic controller and the fans kick on around 175 degrees. It keeps the car nice and steady around the normal operating temp. At this point. I think I can focus on getting the interior back together and trying to get some road tuning and BOOOOST! I'm thinking that I need a small air compressor so that I can test my wastegate setting and setup the megasquirt EBC.

Here's another video I took this morning. Just fired it up and it's running a little rough when it's cold. I haven't really had a chance to do any significant tuning. I did lean out the idle a bit to ~13.2 and it's not running as crisp as it did at 12.5. I'm going to richen it back up. For some reason, it seems like these engines prefer to run on the rich side.

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s415/apordes/th_IMG_0932.jpg

• 3 months later...

Progress update:

I've been slammed with work lately, but I found some time to do a little work.

I installed the boost and wideband gauge-

I also got the megasquirt boost control wired up, but i haven't tinkered with the electronic settings yet. At this point, I just need to add some loom on some wiring and put all of the interior back in.

• 5 months later...

Here's an updated video of the engine running. I am trying to install all of my aftermarket gauges before putting the interior back in, so there's just shots of the engine for now. Click the imagine below for video.

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s415/apordes/th_IMG_0365_zps5cfe4706.jpg

• 1 month later...

Making good progress as i rush to finish for the mesquite 3 meet.

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s415/apordes/8138CADC-2901-4CC1-BB61-3438544D709E-1128-000000470FFF711F_zps000126bf.jpg

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s415/apordes/2221F183-FA24-4E89-833B-7D50C3BFFBBF-1128-00000046FE596281_zpsc6122ff5.jpg

Amazing what you can get done with a/c in your garage and a Mesquite gig on the horizon , nice work Alex ! man i could really go to "chrome town" on that MPI set up. :)

Amazing what you can get done with a/c in your garage and a Mesquite gig on the horizon , nice work Alex ! man i could really go to "chrome town" on that MPI set up. :)

Who don't know dat... "Dah King of Bling," Scotty! ;) ( Give it a "Dust'n?") :D

Both upper and lower rad mounts are from a 240sx with the same radiator. Yes it is a 3 row with pusher fans mounted on front. If i were to do it again, i would get the 2 row so i could bolt on a fan and shroud setup to the engine side of the rad. Not enough clearance with the 3 row.

• 1 month later...

A current video of the engine running while connected to my tablet. The car is driving now and has seen a few psi of boost. I'm being very gentle with the engine while I try to datalog and tune. I even managed to break the rear tires loose in the rain yesterday. Still have a lot to do before Mesquite, but many of the items on the list are not necessary for the car to drive, just improvements. I haven't installed the front strut bar because I keep debating whether or not I'll get to the manual steering conversion before the meet and the manifold will probably have to come off for that....and once the manifold is off, it would be the perfect time to replace the rusty brake booster and brake master cylinder. The fun never ends!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6vAnONDpz8