Roller Cam Dynamics 2

Tim_C.

So this new grind you are working on.  

Will it work without longer valves or caps?

Any guess on what lift would be?

How long would it take?

Any idea on cost?

I personally do not want to do all it takes to get this to work. I've already spent $200 on a useless cam.  I was considering using a 284 slider with the rollers, but if you think there is a way to do it with a new cam, sign me up!

Well, we hope to get the final lift at about the same or a little less than the Schneider 284. We want to reduce the stock base circle, but not enough to need to change valves or use lash caps. We are calling a grinding expert to help us come up with it, and I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for us.  It may take a few months. Could be sooner, but I need to talk to this guy and figure out how far we can go on the lift and keep the same base circle, or reduce it about half as much as the

Schneider. We know a company that has been grinding 2.6 cams for years and years, so we hope this place can get something together for us.  They grind from blanks, and it will need hardened. I am going to talk to the guy tomorrow hopefully.

Tim C.

It would be fantastic to have a drop in roller cam (id buy one for sure) would you use the md16025 galant rockers?  The way things are going now, I don't even know if my car will be on the street in a couple of months. having many problems.  But, it would be great if it was possible in less than 2 months to get a cam.  Please keep us updated !

OK John, I will try to get a cam figured out for us.  Yeah, we can use the 1.6 ratio rockers to do it.  That will help us not have to reduce the base circle as much.

Hey, is that Mitsu part #MD16025 the same as the Melling MR925?

It is possible to do the roller cam without reducing the base circle so much, so we are attempting to do it.

Mine will have the mondo 510 lift for now, and I will kep everyone posted on how this baby lasts, etc....

Kev: Hey, I think that lobe we can see in Hendu's pic is the unused fuel pump lobe! He He!

Tim C.

Um, the MD195450 is the Same as the melling part I sent you.  The first number I mentioned is the rockers that you and I both already have (that are supposed to be from a galant it is actually a MD106245.)  Yeah, a cam would be fantastic.  510 lift is quite a bit, I'd feel find with .470 lift.

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing new that I know of yet.   Tim got his head back together and installed it on his car but his bottom end blew out after only a few hours of driving, so he is involved with a rebuild at the moment.  

I have been working on the body of my car lately and haven't put much thought into the engine for the past few weeks and probably not for the weeks to come.  

Also I think John is waiting for Tim's results in a few months.  

So we are on hold but will keep everyone informed.

kev

Well, of course my bottom end problems continue.  The set-up works, and you just need to order the custom length valves, and lash caps with the deeper skirt, or better yet get the hardened wafer tip custom length valves from Manley.

I am sending a cam to a custom grinder who claims he can grind our stock cams to relfect a wider RPM range than stock, and much better power throughout, which is what we are looking for.  We may need to incorporate the 1.6 ratio rockers due to a slightly smaller base circle, but the cam will be drop in, and at the most use lash caps.

When I get this going, and it is a drop in cam, I will release the name of the guy I'm going thru.  He is a 20+ year grinder with several grinds already for the turbo g54b slip rocker set-up.  He says it is better to use the stock cam since the steel is of the highest quality, which you don't find in any aftermarket unless you pay big bucks. Also, he says Schneider is notorious for going too big on their grinds for what performance reason he doesn't know, because he can get the most possible from less in every application he has compared to with them.  There are companies who sell his cams as theirs too. Plus, he has many of our cams laying around, and can stock cams already ground so there is less downtime, or no down time.  He just wants me to send a stock one in to be sure we are talking the same language.

I will keep you all informed.

Tim C.

Tim, I love you :)  (in a macho guy type of way :)  )  Makes this work and you will be god.  When you say 1.6, you mean the 3.0sohc caravan rockers (like the one I sent you? )  

The perfect cam would be the performance gains and wider range you mentioned

1.5 or 1.6 Rocker Arms

No Lash Caps

No valve/piston clearance.

Now, I can even see using lash caps, as long as you can use them on the hydraulic valves.  I know since you are the one doing all the work, you are going to work on it to meet your requirements, but I think that I would be representing most people when asking for these things, #1 being not having to fly cut your pistons, so keep us updated.

On a 2nd note, you are running the Schneider with the custom valves and custom pistons right now correct?  How is that working for you, and how is the performance?

Yep, I am sending my stock cam out this week to get a roller grind put on it that reduces the base circle just enough to get the grind.  It will be a direct bolt on cam that only requires pulling the valve cover.  Wider RPM range top and bottom, more power throughout. I will be the Guinea pig on it, so I will get the info out ASAP after I get the cam back.

Tim C.

• 5 years later...