Good brake booster

marso

• 4 weeks later...
I've got a good one out of an 88 starion sitting on my shelf. Kragen lists for 170 shoot me an offer.

Marso I dont know why you dont just go pay 100 to advance and get you a rebuilt one, palying around with 20 year old parts used in your brake system is like giving a handgun to a toddler for a toy .

after putting 3 used ones on my car I will never bother to use a used booster again, aged rubber does not hold vacuum .

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/ProductDe...250&PTSet=A

Edited by scotty

Sounds like you bought bad parts, or installed them wrong. What kills boosters is water geting past the rubber boots ang getting in around the seals and rusting the metal in them and around them. That causes vacuum leaks. In wet climates, ie rain, high humidity, snow and ice, salted roads etc considerably shorten a boosters lifespan. In a dry climate like here in LA they last a long time. I took apart a 41 year old booster off a 67 Ford and the rubber was almost like new, very plyable. That one died because it sat in a junkyard car back east with no hood for a long time. What killed it was rust around the front seal where the master cylinder mounts causing a vacuum leak. This one came off a LA car and I would not hesitate to put it on my car if I ever needed it. It is actually my spare, stored indoors. But I don't think I will need it.

Dont get hurt this thing quotes automaticallly when I hit the reply I guess, but id no sooner buy a used booster for anything I drove when one could be had for 99.00 with a guarantee .

I doubt my failures were from improper installation as the newone went on and never gave me a bit of trouble , lets face it they would not sell boosters if they lasted 40 years on an import .

anyways do what you want , most starquesters taking the cheap route everytime is not the formula for successful repair .

Dont get hurt this thing quotes automaticallly when I hit the reply I guess, but id no sooner buy a used booster for anything I drove when one could be had for 99.00 with a guarantee .

I doubt my failures were from improper installation as the newone went on and never gave me a bit of trouble , lets face it they would not sell boosters if they lasted 40 years on an import .

anyways do what you want , most starquesters taking the cheap route everytime is not the formula for successful repair .

It's not necesarily the cheap route. Sometimes we just don't have the money and our cars are broken. So we save money any way we can. Not everyone has $100 to spend on parts.

Well after 10 years of owning these cars ( I have had 29) I thinK I know a little about whats the right and wrong way of doing things on them , but yeah any excuse will do to not replace things with what few new parts are available for them Please buy this guys part sounds like he is the better salesman and the glove fits .

If you can't afford to spend the 100 bucks for a new one, how will you be able to repair the damage to your car when the old one fails ? The brake system is not where you want to cut corners.

I believe marso has already purchased a new one after having some difficulty getting a used one shipped to him.

Jimmy

Well after 10 years of owning these cars ( I have had 29) I thinK I know a little about whats the right and wrong way of doing things on them , but yeah any excuse will do to not replace things with what few new parts are available for them Please buy this guys part sounds like he is the better salesman and the glove fits .

Just for arguments sake. Lets say is does fail, so what. You can drive and stop just fine without a booster. Before you say you can't know that my 67 Galaxie with a big block and drum brakes has had a dead power booster for over 6 years. I was going to put disc brakes on it. I didn't want to buy a drum brake booster then later buy a disk brake one. I never got around to the disc brake project. I drive that car and take it to the dragstrip and race it with a dead booster. It acts like it has manual brakes. just takes a little more foot power to stop. Having said that I really should finish my disc brake upgrade. :driving:

If the engine dies at high speed it does not affect manual brakes. And I routinely do 90-100mph joyrides in it. I have no problem stopping my Galaxie with a dead booster. If I did I wouldn't drive it at all. I certainly wouldn't race it if braking was a problem.

There's something I keep telling everyone. A booster can be bad and you won't know it until you test it. If the leak on the perimeter seal is minimal it will still hold vacuum as long as the engine is providing it. It will just suck in air from around the seal along with pulling on the diaphragm. An easy test is idle the car and pump the brakes real fast. If the booster leaks it will push the incoming air into the engine causing it to lean out and make it stumble. A sure test is pull off the vacuum line spray Windex around the perimeter seal and blow into the port as hard as possible or apply 3 lbs of air pressure from a rubber tipped nozzle. If it leaks the seal will bubble like checking a tire.

Oh. I did buy one from AdvanceAuto. They are only 78 bucks here. I checked it at the store. It leaked. I noticed they didn't separate the booster and replace the perimeter seal. None of the crimps had a mark on them or were disfigured in any way. It would be impossible to uncrimp them and get them back perfectly as new. They are getting another one. Let's see if it's any good. This has been one hell of a disaster. Four boosters and they all leak.

Edited by marso