Rotaries are weird

jahjah

LOL!!! I'll take video tonight. The 12a with a Edelbrock spreadbore carb sounds exactly like that.

If I bring it home. http://www.xceedspeed.com/forums/images/smilies/suspect.gif Can I cut the tailpipe off tonight? It's not loud enough.

If I bring it home. http://www.xceedspeed.com/forums/images/smilies/suspect.gif Can I cut the tailpipe off tonight? It's not loud enough.

The neighbors already hate the conquests and your driving.

Pick up some pipe and clamps and go for it if you want. no reving it after 10 though if you do that.... lol

Edited by Sully

OMG, just wait. Open header 12a's are crazy loud. You'd think it had a 12cy enine in the damn thing. Shoots out some nice flames. Man i miss that car. Oh and Sully to that earlier messege. I want to say i have a bunch of poly bushines and what not for it also. The 83' is basically identical. 79-85 same. Minus 84-85 they put the 13b in the GSL version.

this is why i have lots of respect for those who know the rotary art...

seriously can any other motor sound so dang wicked!?!?!

From what I recall, that particular build [custom eccentric shaft, S5 N/A rotors @ 9.7:1, carbon seals, and peripheral ports w/ ITBs] runs on the US-equivalent of 87-octane, all motor. Can't recall power numbers, but I believe its' best time was 11-something seconds down the 1320. It's an England car, as well.

I LOVE rotaries. First car was a '79 Rx7 GT. Federal model, so didn't have a cat - I lit my dad's lawn on fire with that car once. Only car I've owned or driven that revved to 10,500rpm - in its' final build state, ended up with trimmed [from 80mm to 70mm] carbon apex seals, Weber 48IDA side-draft, RB header and no exhaust, a J-bridgeport by myself, and points from Mallory for a '70 GTO.

Since that car I've owned 7 FC Rx7s, two of which were Turbo-II models, and one was a convertible model with a T-II engine swap.

Yeah, I like the spinning triangles of fury. :D

The fire is coming from exhaust leaks..........

Turborusty

Not always. Rotaries usually run fairly rich. Without Cats my old Gsl-se would make the eyes water standing behind it. I could blow 2-3 foot flames if I shifted at 7km. NO leaks on my car. Has to do with the lack of valves.

Not always. Rotaries usually run fairly rich. Without Cats my old Gsl-se would make the eyes water standing behind it. I could blow 2-3 foot flames if I shifted at 7km. NO leaks on my car. Has to do with the lack of valves.

The 85 is rich, but with a 600cfm carb I think we all know why. I swear it shoots flames though. As I was coming up to the driveway for work yesterday I downshifted and let it engine brake from 5K and I heard this pohhhhhhhhh and the lady behind me got wide-eyed. Maybe? Then when I was getting off the highway I downshifted from 5th to 4th, accelerated a little then let it engine brake again and this time it was a BOOF! and I felt it in the floor board. I jumped, I'll admit it. It sounds like a mini-afterburner. :)

MY FC did continuous flames from both exhaust before I put in my cat (I also had the TPS disconnected so the decel/fuel cut was disabled.) I was told it look like an afterburner .. Cops of course pulled me over and gave me a fix it ticket> I think I still got that ticket somewhere.

As soon as I get some spare cash I'm getting a RB header for my 83. I also have a guy who has an intake and a set of weber side draft carbs for it too. It runs really nice stock as it is but I need some exhaust bad, I hate stock. Its running really really rich right now I think. I only got like 17mpg out of the last tank and that was maily highway driving around 70mph and not really beating on it too bad.

79-80 had the 'thermal reactor'

81-and up had Catalytic converters. I think after 83 u actually had 2 Catalytic converters.

Usually the Airpump and Cats will suppress the flames if you are not having exhaust leaks or other induction leaks. BUT, too much fuel pressure (for the carby Rx7s they should be 6~8 psi), stuck choke, or just a leaky carb will cause overly rich conditions and flames. But, also the RX7 moves so much air at high rpms, sometimes when you shift at high rpms it will still burn leading to the flash/flames.

I actually went to a Rotary meet up recently. Been helping friend with his 13bt Series 3. Put some 1000cc injectors in the secondarys and tuned to 15psi. Such a different feeling to a piston motor. First few times being passenger you keep thinking "shouldnt he have shifted 3,000rpm ago"

Got to drive it 200miles home on the weekend. Overtaking on the highway was fun :P

Yeah....but if you watched the video....the flames were coming from between the block anf the header.....not out the back of the exhaust. That spells exhaust leak, in this case. ;)

Turborusty

Yeah....but if you watched the video....the flames were coming from between the block anf the header.....not out the back of the exhaust. That spells exhaust leak, in this case. ;)

Turborusty

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the wastegate back there?

Could have just blown the exhaust gasket, all mine did that religiously.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the wastegate back there?

Could have just blown the exhaust gasket, all mine did that religiously.

The wastegate is mounted on the bottom and it's exhaust or dump tube is routed back into the main pipe....looks like blown gaskets to me.

Turborusty

ive got an 85 gsl-se sitten in the back yard of my grandparents house...the thing stoped runnen out of no were..blowen blackish bluish smoke everywere...i should actually pull that engine and try to rebuild it..set that thing up for a turbo :D

Daniel