Datsun 240z

Lusion972

I think the 240Z was made in 70, 71, 72, and half of 73, then they went to the 260Z.

Jimmy

1970 - Less than a year after its debut, demand for the 240Z is so high that the Kelly Blue Book rates the value of a used Z at $4,000! Bob Sharp and Pete Brock take the Datsun 240Z to the racetrack in SCCA competition -- driver John Morton wins the C-Production national championship for Brock Racing Enterprises.

1971 - Prompted by vibration problems on the racecars, the crankshaft was redesigned. The transmission and differential were improved. A Jatco 3 speed automatic became available. The rear quarter panel and hatch received new styling also.

John Morton wins his second straight C-Production national title.

1972 - The combustion chambers shape was altered lowering the compression ration from 9.0 to 8.8:1, effectively lowering emissions and power. Automatic seat belt retractors were installed and the rear window defroster lines were now run horizontal.

Bob Sharp drives a 240Z to the first of his two consecutive C-Production national championships.

1973 - Carburetors, manifolds and cylinder head were changed to meet emission standards. Intermittent windshield wipers were added as standard equipment. Tinted glass, 3 point adjustable seat belts, collapsible steering column, fire retardant interior and racing seats were introduced.

At the close of the 240Z's fourth and final model year all-time sales reach 116,712 units.

1974 - The engine displacement of the 1974 model is increased to 2.6 liters, and the car is renamed the 260Z.

That late, I though it was early 70's....I wonder how hard it is to find these cars. I just fell in love with them

rust free? not hard, but be ready to pay $$$$

they're notorious for rusting there the frame rail meets the body. I test drove one for $500. Went around a corner and straightened out and the body still felt sideways.

Yeah I didnt buy it :lol:

they're notorious for rusting there the frame rail meets the body. I test drove one for $500. Went around a corner and straightened out and the body still felt sideways.

you payed $500 to test drive a car????? WEIRD!

I think the 240Z was made in 70, 71, 72, and half of 73, then they went to the 260Z.

Jimmy

Correct. The 260 ran from late '73 to '75, and the 280z took over until '78. The 280Z was also fuel-injected, where previous models were carb'd.

It's hard to tell with old S30s what year they are, especially in other countries. A dead giveaway is the taillights, 240s and 260s had the reverse light in the taillight itself, where the 280s had them set inward closer to the license plate. I'm not sure if it's just the US, but late 260s and all 280s had huge chrome "safety bumpers", where the 240 had a slim bumper pictured above. The corner lights are also another take, though the entire front clip from a 240 can fit on a 260 or 280 - the ones pictured above are off a 240 or early 260.

Edited by Dave-O

i went and looked at that one with ya didnt i? man... that was a big ol' piece of crap....

Guest Star-Orion

the 240-280 cars are a blast to drive. I had an 80 model and even tho it was a beater, I loved driving it. If you stick to the 280zx...there was a 2+2 model that was more family friendly.

JR

Sorry about the years but my 5th grade teacher had one during that time he had old "Dish Mag" wheels on it yellow too. like the one in dcrastas pic

Also Paul Newman raced those cars.

Edited by macrophage

81' Turbo :sunglasses: Z car's ROCK !!!

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s263/aiche_photos/Cars%20n%20Stuff/81TurboZ011.jpg

Z cars are bad...Especially 280ZX Turbos...I just rebuilt this car and wound up selling it as I got a good offer on it..

http://img385.imageshack.us/img385/743/dsc02927kh3.jpg

http://img385.imageshack.us/img385/9403/dsc02943as5.jpg

http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/9194/dsc02910sq3.jpg

i went and looked at that one with ya didnt i? man... that was a big ol' piece of crap....

yup - the one where the guy's house burned down with everything in it and was staying in that shady hotel ( I thought I was going to get crabs abd herpes from being on the premises lol )

In hindsight, if it hadn't been for that body twist to let me know how bad it was, I probably would have bought it

Mitsu...what year was that thing and will you build me one?

The Red one pictured is an 82..That car was an extremely solid starting point when I started as it came out of Cali..,If you ever plan on getting a truly solid Z car,,you must purchase from Cali or Arizona..Anywhere else(and I mean anywhere)it will have plenty of visible and hidden rust..Here is a shot of another one I sold after a complete makeover..This one came out of Arizona..That one had 2 years worth of weekend work into it...

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/3403/129114942mjftvqph111396kp7.jpg

How much do they normally sell for before restoring them?

With old Z cars,,there are many factors...Location,condition,ect...With 280ZX's..

A total bomb in need of everything-$500-$1000

A decent runner that needs some cosmetics(minor rust repair)--$1500-$3500

A very solid car needing minor work-$3500-$6000

A near flawless car with no body rust at all..$7000-$15000

A word of advice from me as Ive worked on tons of Z cars....98% of them have rust..Even if you dont see any..Never ever buy one off the east coast..Arizona/Cali only...

Spend the extra money up front and get a solid of a car as you can..If you see even the slightest rust bubble anywhere,,there is alot more hidden in that car that you cant see until you start ripping into it...If you think a Starquest rots quick,,you should see a Z..You could probably stare at it a few hours watching the rust spread...