Drilling/boring wastegate hole

Szester

OK, so i just bought dans car if you know who he is. Its really nice and runs great. However i need a bit of help with it. At high revs the turbo likes to fluctuate between around 10 to 15 psi. Its set to 15 psi but wont stay there solid. I want to make the wastegate hole bigger to try and solve this problem, it will kill my times at the speedway if i let it be. Is there anyone here that has done that before? Also does anyone know a good place to buy knew rotors and pads for the 5 lug?

i ported my wastegate because i am running a 20g. What turbo do you have? It could be because of a poor wastegate actuator/vac lines/boost contoller so check those things first and also check all of your intercooler piping for leaks

thanks for the tip, im new to this turbo thing. appreciate the input

Yeah, you must have a boost controller of some kind to raise it higher than 10psi, perhaps you should try a different one to be sure it's not just that.

Also, you might try and do a boost leak test, and as Mr. Don't said above, it could be dry, cracked vacuum lines.

Yeah, you must have a boost controller of some kind to raise it higher than 10psi, perhaps you should try a different one to be sure it's not just that.

Also, you might try and do a boost leak test, and as Mr. Don't said above, it could be dry, cracked vacuum lines.

alright, thanks. the lines are fine. so i guess ill be redoing the wastegate this winter

What year car? If it's an 88-later with the 3-port style wastegate and the boost control solenoid (mounted to the air filter lid) you might be experiencing engine knock. When knock is detected, the solenoid cuts out, forcing the wastegate actuator to use the "low pressure" side in an effort to eliminate knock and protect the engine. Then when the knock is gone... the system reverts back to normal high pressure mode. You can wire up a 12volt LED (or a plain LED and a 1000 ohm resistor in series) to the white connector on the solenoid. It should light up for NO KNOCK. If the LED blinks out, you're experiencing knock and have other issues. If the LED doesn't light at all... reverse the connections.

The 88-later cars with 5-speed trannies also use this solenoid to limit boost pressure until the RPMs are above 4000. There is a simple one-wire mod trick in the FAQ to remove this low-RPM boost limit.

mike c.

What year car? If it's an 88-later with the 3-port style wastegate and the boost control solenoid (mounted to the air filter lid) you might be experiencing engine knock. When knock is detected, the solenoid cuts out, forcing the wastegate actuator to use the "low pressure" side in an effort to eliminate knock and protect the engine. Then when the knock is gone... the system reverts back to normal high pressure mode. You can wire up a 12volt LED (or a plain LED and a 1000 ohm resistor in series) to the white connector on the solenoid. It should light up for NO KNOCK. If the LED blinks out, you're experiencing knock and have other issues. If the LED doesn't light at all... reverse the connections.

The 88-later cars with 5-speed trannies also use this solenoid to limit boost pressure until the RPMs are above 4000. There is a simple one-wire mod trick in the FAQ to remove this low-RPM boost limit.

mike c.

Well, its an 87. However the wastegate is aftermarket. Im not sure whether its 3 port but ill have to look into that.

mike c.

You win 5 free internets sir!! Thanks for the tip. All taken care of. Problem solved

You win 5 free internets sir!! Thanks for the tip. All taken care of. Problem solved

Glad to hear it! ...but what was the problem and how did you solve it? Can't have this post end without an answer for readers to learn from now!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

mike c.

Hey mike I have an 89 5 speed, where can I find that mod that removes the low rpm boost limit?