Cranked up the BOOST!

lancea9847

I cranked up the 19C T0 18PSI (temporarily) just for laughs because i dont have a A/F yet. I dont have IC hard pipes yet either.I went down the street today at full blast and when i shifted gears i heard something that i never heard before, some kinda whizzing sound,what was that? anybody know?

thanx, Lance

it would probably be the sound of the turbo being stopped by the back pressure of 18psi when the TB goes shut. all that air has to go somewhere so it back its way back up to the turbo. its very hard on the turbo cause it causes the blades to stop spinning very quickly cause its a short hard blast of air. and if thats a new turbo i hope you gave it proper break in time before cranking it up.

when running that much boost you will want a BOV (blow off valve) to releive that pressure built up in the lines. you can add one to your soft pipes, you dont have to have hard pipes to install them. you can get a stock BOV from a 1st Gen Turbo Probe GT, its the same exact size as our pipes and bolts right in. you can find used ones on ebay for about $10.

the probe bov is a great low buck alternative until you save up the $300+need to buy OVERPRICED muffler pipes, i mean hard pipes.

here is a pic of the PROBE BOV installed on a stock, intercooled, 85 flatty. just have to remove a small section of the stock cloth hose to install, and one vacuum line to open it. these hold pressure to about 12psi or so, wouldnt hold the 18psi but great for stock turbos.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e82/silverquest/100_2427.jpg

Edited by cyberquest

mine does it to at stock boost with the stock turbo its extremely audible with a 3" straitpipe no cats

as a matter fact i put on my *DM 3" that i got from TCROSON today and thats when i started hearing it.

thanx for the info bro`s

Lance

it would probably be the sound of the turbo being stopped by the back pressure of 18psi when the TB goes shut. all that air has to go somewhere so it back its way back up to the turbo. its very hard on the turbo cause it causes the blades to stop spinning very quickly cause its a short hard blast of air. and if thats a new turbo i hope you gave it proper break in time before cranking it up.

when running that much boost you will want a BOV (blow off valve) to releive that pressure built up in the lines. you can add one to your soft pipes, you dont have to have hard pipes to install them. you can get a stock BOV from a 1st Gen Turbo Probe GT, its the same exact size as our pipes and bolts right in. you can find used ones on ebay for about $10.

the probe bov is a great low buck alternative until you save up the $300+need to buy OVERPRICED muffler pipes, i mean hard pipes.

here is a pic of the PROBE BOV installed on a stock, intercooled, 85 flatty. just have to remove a small section of the stock cloth hose to install, and one vacuum line to open it. these hold pressure to about 12psi or so, wouldnt hold the 18psi but great for stock turbos.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e82/silverquest/100_2427.jpg

I hEAR YA BrO! muffler pipes! :hmm3grin2orange:

I cranked up the 19C T0 18PSI (temporarily) just for laughs because i dont have a A/F yet. I dont have IC hard pipes yet either.I went down the street today at full blast and when i shifted gears i heard something that i never heard before, some kinda whizzing sound,what was that? anybody know?

thanx, Lance

Thats your Turbo telling you to stop boosting to levels that you're motor is not modified to take. Just for laughs?????? No Air/Fuel ratio gauge, No Fuel pressure reading....You deserve what you get. Blow it up!!!! Who cares??? It's your car. But don't ask for help on this site for abusing your car, Lance.

CALIBER 308

Edited by Caliber308

Thats your Turbo telling you to stop boosting to levels that you're motor is not modified to take. Just for laughs?????? No Air/Fuel ratio gauge, No Fuel pressure reading....You deserve what you get. Blow it up!!!! Who cares??? It's your car. But don't ask for help on this site for abusing your car, Lance.

CALIBER 308

whoa dude! do you need a prozac?

Did it sound like a turkey gobbling? Thats the Air making mini sonic booms on your turbo compressor blades. Ever see pictures of turbos with bent fins?

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/parts/turbos/deadturbineshaft_small.jpg

Maybe that sound you hear is the Fuse before your motor goes 'pop'

Edited by Dcrasta

CALIBER 308 is right as you will regret it sooner or later! and as for a good fix to that a 1st gen eclipse turbo

bov will work great, also came in talons and lasers! they can hold more boost and you can

crush them to make em hold a little more too! plus its made by mitsubishi! it will bolt in the same way the

probe bov did!