Megatune on FIP Leaning out

BOHO

As most of you know I'm still having problems with my car...When I'm cruising...steady RPM's...steady throttle position...My car steadily leans out...starts at 12.5 and ends up...18+ within a few seconds....I've got good fuel pressure....While looking at megatune....My gamma correction starts at 95% and while my afr's are going up...my gamma correction is going down....to around 65% when the car hits 18 afr's....they are in sync...but I don't know if they are just reading the same thing in a different way...or if they are related....Anyone have any idea.? Thanks

Braden

What kind of O2 sensor are you using? It sounds like the calibration tables are screwed up. On another note, in the short run you can reduce how much gamma correction is allowed. Say cut it back to 5-10% until this is sorted out. Edited by Maxzillian

some thing else that can mess with you is 02 correction,,esp while your trying to set fuel maps,, turn it off while your actualy trying to adjust the fuel mixture,, just remember to turn it back on when your done , also trying to do this one man sort a is a waste of time get a driver so your free to do the adjustments,, also if the cruise works thats the best way to hold the rpms steady

GammaE

Gamma is the total enrichment factor, computed by MegaSquirt® taking into account all of warmup, acceleration/deceleration, barometric, and manifold air temperature sensor correction factors, but excluding EGO correction, which is handled separately (See Corrections/Enrichments, below.) Returned from MS as a percentage value in "gammae."

I pulled that from the msefi site. I don't think there is a setting for it, it's just a calculated value reflecting what you see on your AFR's. Sounds like you have a bad sensor somewhere, post your datalog so we can look at all the variables.

Scott

I know my wideband is good...I have an AEM. The display shows correct afr but...On the laptop its not.....it starts out at 14.7 and glitches between that and 3.0 and 4.0....not steady...just flashed back and forth.....I've got the blue wire from the wideband unit up to the fip computer.....

your tach is the least of the worrys about geting a clean signal,,it's the ecu feed that needs to be clean and clear

and both 02 signal feeds from02 to ecu and w/b display

Edited by Shelby

My signal goes into the display...then back out of the display into the computer....so You think that I've got interferance somewhere between the display and computer?

I'm going to be honest....I'm not sure its wired correctly....I re-read the AEM instructions...The white wire is for analog and the blue is for serial......I had the blue wire hooked up...Thats where I'm getting the current reading...I tried the white wire....but its only supposed to be .0 - .5v ....I'm seeing almost 2 v ....the gauge on megatune pegs out for max on the 02 volt guage...what am I doing wrong?

I know you guys are tired of me...I really am trying....I hope you guys arent getting to irratated yet..

Edited by BOHO

well that does explain why it's so complicate'd ,, but calibrateing any instriment does not have any thing to do with fuel mixture controling,it only gives you a way of telling the actual mixutre with a better degree of acuricy, meaning you can not rely on any 02 sensor narrow or wide band to correct your fuel mixtures cause most have a limit'd amount of mixture % that they can control, you need to have the basic amount of fuel already program'd and the 02 fine tunes it, not all ecu's use 02 to control fuel mix under boost , it's up to you to add or remove fuel as the wide band is telling you to do Edited by Shelby

Good lord, how do they expect this thing to get used correctly. I'm from the school that if I can't figure it out in 5 minutes then its poorly built (or engineered). In any case, you need the white wire, that blue one is only a bunch of ones and zeros and its not giving you or your controller any useful information. White wire to the FIP, then make certain the rotary adjustment on the back of the gauge (p 10) is at P0 or P1 AND make sure your EGO in Megatune is set for wide band. Get all that right and report back.

Scott

Good lord, how do they expect this thing to get used correctly. I'm from the school that if I can't figure it out in 5 minutes then its poorly built (or engineered). In any case, you need the white wire, that blue one is only a bunch of ones and zeros and its not giving you or your controller any useful information. White wire to the FIP, then make certain the rotary adjustment on the back of the gauge (p 10) is at P0 or P1 AND make sure your EGO in Megatune is set for wide band. Get all that right and report back.

Scott

It is also a good idea for your AEM WB 02 to have the same power and ground source as your aftermarket fuel computer.

Scott

I did all of the above....My wideband in Megatune now show a steady reading between 4.0 and 5.1...with some blips up to 14.7 but not like it was....The 02 volts are steady between .8 and 1.05 still showing in the red though...too many volts? I know 4 and 5 arent correct....why do you think it would do that now? Its set on P0...do I need to try P1?

a working a/f meter of any kind will rarely show a steady fuel mix reading,,they read the mixture several 1000 times a sec , any working meter will change the read out as the engine warms up and as the rpms change

a working a/f meter of any kind will rarely show a steady fuel mix reading,,they read the mixture several 1000 times a sec , any working meter will change the read out as the engine warms up and as the rpms change

I understand that shelby...but not 4 and 5...that too rich for the engine to even be running isnt it....and its like that through the entire warmup process.

Me either, it makes no sense yet. If you have a volt meter check the voltage on the white wire when the gauge is reading 14.7 AFR, it should be real close to 2.5 volts. Then post up your *.msq file so we can take a look at that.

Scott

Heres the problem...The laptop I'm using has no internet acces...its a 98 toshiba satelite...lol...my good one lost the hardrive and I havn't replaced it yet...well...I turned my ego correction above..XXX rpms to like 7000...now it does not lean out on cruise......I guess since the computer is seeing stupid reading...4 and 5 afr's...it was trying to lean out my car...I'll take some readings like you said scott and get back to you.....like you saying 2.5 volts......I thought it was only supposed to see 0-.5v? Thats what the gauge is setup for on megatune....and what the AEM says...I dunno.

I think we found a problem then, go back and read the AEM manual and you can see that the white wire is 0-5 Volts with 14.7 AFR in the middle of the range around 2.5 volts. That is the defacto standard for Wide Band O2 sensors, the narrow band ones have 14.7 AFR at 0.5 volts. Go back and change megatune so that its expecting wide band input from 0-5 VDC.

Scott

narrow band 02s read 0 lean -to 1.0 volt rich,,usually like .995 or so as max, the ecu uses .500 volts as the stuich range or mid point between rich /lean the normal correction percentage is 10% ,+or-thats all the ecu can correct the mix. useing the 02 signal

the mid or ideal range can be change'd to what ever you want,, but i'd stay close to default , meaning you can change the mid point from .500 to anything you want , higher richer , lower leaner,, and the ecu will atempt to adj the fuel to that specs durring off boost times at cruise . 02 correction should be off like below 1300 rpms