Shaft play

BrokenquestTSI

i just got a turbo from conquestbass for cheap and its got some shaft play. again; dumb question, but im asking anyway. Why is this bad(besides the fact that its precision balanced), and could it be ran?

also, i have a 14g with a ground up turbine wheel. how could i make this work with the stuff i have? or could i even. couldnt the 14g upgrade be taken off, and fitted on the stock one where that turbo goes? idk. If it cant work, break it to me gently. lol. been waiting a LONG time for this. thanks for any help.

-Broken

when you start to get end play(up/down or in/out) the seals can no longer properly seal against the shaft. With enough play the compressor wheel will be allowed to contact the compressor housing(ie your 14g). If the compressor wheel on the 14g contacted the housing you have a pretty good bet that the shaft is bent. I would rather run a turbo with a little end play than one with a bent shaft rotating 15k+rpms.

The turbo i just pulled off my car had some end play and i replaced it with a stock 12a from another member for just over $100. the 12a and the 14 should both have td05 hot sides so in theory you could use the compressor housing and compressor wheel from the 12a on the 14g hotside(which should be the same) but again thats assuming your shaft isnt bent.

long story short i would replace it with at least another 12a with no shaft play.

take the compressor housings off, remove the nuts from the turbine shafts, put the shafts out just tap them with a piece of wood or plastic hammer and they slide out the back, put the shaft from the 12a into the 14g cartridge, put the 14G wheel and nut back on , the compressor housing and you're done. If you want to put a kit in it fine you just need to take the wheel off and see if its a flat back or curved back wheel to know which kit to get

take the compressor housings off, remove the nuts from the turbine shafts, put the shafts out just tap them with a piece of wood or plastic hammer and they slide out the back, put the shaft from the 12a into the 14g cartridge, put the 14G wheel and nut back on , the compressor housing and you're done. If you want to put a kit in it fine you just need to take the wheel off and see if its a flat back or curved back wheel to know which kit to get

even though the 14g compressor wheel was ground?

yeah the 14g's turbine wheel is alittle chewed up. 14g has absolutely NO shaft play. the 12 i got for only 20 bux, and he said it came off his car so he was running it i guess. i was gonna run that one if i could untill i get around to rebuilding the 14g. as long as the shaft play doesnt mess anything up. As i just took, like.....MONTHS to finally get all i need to get back up and running. I would hate for the head work i just got done get screwed up from the turbo being screwed ya know? thanks for your help

-Broken

long story short i would replace it with at least another 12a with no shaft play.

Ding, ding, ding, ding!!!! That is the correct answer.

Would work... if you can get the nuts off of the shaft.

12a shaft, 12a turbine wheel, 12a turbine housing + 14g impeller, 14g compressor housing, and 14g center cartridge. Just hope that the 14g center cartridge has good bearings still... after it has been ran with a messed up turbine wheel. The shaft could have been spinning at strange angles and could have messed the bearings up some.

yeah i should buy a new 12a, but i dont really have the money and i just saved for like....a month just to get this head work done and this stock turbo. It will probley be easier, i was just lookin for the easiest cheapest possible solution. I work at Mars guys........c'mon, bear with me.

yeah i should buy a new 12a, but i dont really have the money and i just saved for like....a month just to get this head work done and this stock turbo. It will probley be easier, i was just lookin for the easiest cheapest possible solution. I work at Mars guys........c'mon, bear with me.

Well, you would have to ask yourself if getting the car done now instead of waiting for a good turbo is worth blowing up your engine or not.

Do it once, do it right, and save yourself the headache.

well there really isnt a good way to tell if the 14g shaft is bent BUT, it sounds like your best option is the 14g hot side with your 12a compressor housing, turbine etc. Or you could run the 12a and hope for the best but like you said you just dumped money into the head, id hate for you to dump anything else into it.

The only turbo that does not have shaft play is one thats siezed :rolleye0018:

That said... Each bushing needs at least .001 clearnace in the housing and the same to the turbo shaft. That allows the shaft to move +-.002 at each bushing.

The end of the shaft overhangs the bushing at least quite a bit.

Basicly if you measure how fat the tip of the shaft moves .01" ( +-.005:) total movement is not unusual.

Bad is the impeller contacts the housing.

Bad is a shaft or bearings with a lot of scoring or a housing that has wear grooves. If the housing is bad and you look closly you will see a wear ridge that ends near the snap rings.

Kevin

Edited by TurboRaider

Turbos are NOT fragile, shafts aren't all bent up from scraping the housings they tell you this crap to get you to send them in so they can make the cash to pay for their balancing machine, those shafts spin at 150,000+ rpms you think that's FRAGILE? The nut comes off the shaft easily, its a 12pt socket no big deal the end looks strange because that's the missing metal where the shaft was balanced. If a shaft was bent the turbine shaft would have literally destroyed the bearings and the shaft likely would have locked up and it all be trashed. Pull both cartridges completely apart and look at the pieces and pick the ones with the least wear then reassemble it and get 10 more years from it geez. All you need is a pair of snap ring pliers and two wrenches it doesn't get much easier than that. If you can change your oil you can take apart a turbo it is VERY SIMPLE and it can't go back together wrong of it won't even spin its almost impossible to screw it up. They are dead anyway what you got to loose? You'll be surprised how easy it is.

Man, it has been so long.... I have forgotten just how itty bitty the 12a is. :D

That turbine wheel does not look very bad at all. Just some small FOD went in there, it seems. And yes, you got nothing to lose, but I would have a spare turbo handy for when you get her up and running. If the turbo screeches at all, replace it immediately.

also, since I am not there to see it in person, you might be able to try installing the 12a turbine housing on the 14g. Nothing else should be necessary unless that turbine wheel is worse than it looks in the pictures. Put the other housing on, spin the shaft by hand, and see if there is contact. If not, you should be good to go for a temporary fix.... the turbine will just be less efficient..... think of it as clipping the wheel. haha.

the 14g turbine wheel doesnt touch anything or make any noise. (i know i gotta check on the car) If its still runnable ill do it i suppose unless theres risk of destroying something major especially somethin i just fixed. It is worse in real life, but it just looks like ther little chips it the turbine. thats it. other than that the turbos great. i love it. Then again, jimboTSi has seen it and said it should be replaced. Edited by BrokenquestTSI

just for the record i pulled this turbo apart where the compressor wheel contacted the housing and the shaft was bent(granted it was at 35psi and no bov),

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj39/shift1313/Starion/Holset%20hx40/P2090320.jpg

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj39/shift1313/Starion/Holset%20hx40/P2090314.jpg

make sure when you get this thing back together you prime it. you dont want to start the car on a dry turbo.