2" extended FG/CF Spoiler GB

cali

Ok, since the ball is kinda rolling, I just want to throw this out there:

Structural integrity/weight: The back end of the extended spoiler should be thick enough to withstand

closing the hatch when it gets slammed down, not brake off a chunk out of it...... :confused0024:

Also, I'm wondering how heavy the final piece is going to be (I'm not sure if this will be hollow, and I don't know how heavy the stock one is or if it's hollow as well), because if it's gonna be heavier than stock, then it's a waste to me......in other words, I'll stick with stock and just remove the wiper motor......

Third brake light: Since I didn't have a choice of the size of the third brake light with the original GP, I would have gotten it as is. BUT, if this is going to be made from scratch, I'd like the light to NOT be too long. (IMHO, 10 in. is plenty wide, 15 is too long and doesn't go well with the rear of the car)

If you look from far away at a Starquest from the rear with the brakes on, the two taillights and the third brake light form a cool triangle/diamond star. Going to a wide third brake light would mess up the whole rear of the car, but that is just my opinion...... :confused0024:

I think that there's nothing wrong with the size of the stock one, as long as it's an LED one. (101Propose has the 12 LED panel in his E-bay store for $10 which looks perfect for this)

Zack

Edited by zactek

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

here's the pics of the stuff i have going on right now...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v662/jdmgalant4g63T/Stuff%20for%20Sale/100_1874.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v662/jdmgalant4g63T/Stuff%20for%20Sale/100_1875.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v662/jdmgalant4g63T/Stuff%20for%20Sale/100_1876.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v662/jdmgalant4g63T/Stuff%20for%20Sale/100_1868.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v662/jdmgalant4g63T/Stuff%20for%20Sale/100_1872.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v662/jdmgalant4g63T/Stuff%20for%20Sale/dolphin4.jpg

did you guys want the spoiler extended or just OEM?

Can you get that galant front end to fit a starquest? I'd buy that :aj:

Cali,

You should start another thread regarding the fiberglass bodykit discussion. It gets confusing and clutters this spoiler thread.

About the spoilers... I was checking ebay and found these pics of 101Propose/Mookeeh/MK1 car with the infamous yet elusive 2" extended FRP spoiler. Here are the pics I suggest you use as your model, but incorporate some type of LED third brakelight.

Edited by Dan

Ok, since the ball is kinda rolling, I just want to throw this out there:

Structural integrity/weight: The back end of the extended spoiler should be thick enough to withstand

closing the hatch when it gets slammed down, not brake off a chunk out of it...... :confused0024:

Also, I'm wondering how heavy the final piece is going to be (I'm not sure if this will be hollow, and I don't know how heavy the stock one is or if it's hollow as well), because if it's gonna be heavier than stock, then it's a waste to me......in other words, I'll stick with stock and just remove the wiper motor......

Zack

The stock wing has a steel plate inside the molded rubber/plastic, with the mounting brackets spot welded to it and the bolts welded to the brackets. The ends of the bolts are seen through the holes in the glass on the underside of the hatch. Without the steel reinforcement, you'd crack the hatch wing just by leaning on it. The rigidity was one of my concerns on the other GP, and why I backed out. The stock side pieces are also reinforced, and without that, minimal pressure would crack the thin part sticking out.

here is a pic of the stock spoiler the mounting brackets look to be just molded into the rubber. there is a piece of metal in between the spoiler and the hatch, but it is part of the hatch not the spoiler. believe me i removed that piece before and you dont want to go there.

i spoke to cali and the wiper and antenna will be deleted. now the biggest issue is the 3rd brake light. it would be nice to have the LED's but it does not matter to me one way or the other. if you know where to get cheap LED's 10" long any thing longer would be over kill post up so we can get this ball rolling again :D

hopefully we will here from cali with an update.....

i think we all have to remember though that these pieces are fiberglass/carbon and are not OEM.....anything fiberglass will crack if leaned on, hit, etc....of course, there are not going to be cheap thin layers either and will defitnetly hold up to regular daily use.

i went through that link of LED's and didn't see anything that i particulary like...anybody feel free to post up any links or ideas to get this going.

as far as pricing i have not had a chance to sit down and talk to the guys as far as actual numbers are concerned as they went racing this weekend and i'll actually be out of town in FL for the week as well.

i might just bite the bullet and buy the mold myself....as of right now i don't see too many people interested regardless of price.

i might just bite the bullet and buy the mold myself....as of right now i don't see too many people interested regardless of price.

I think there would be more interest once there's a finalized version and a pic of an at least a prototype version..........

It's tricky 'cause you probably don't want to invest a lot if there's not much interest and you can't make the money back for the mold.

On the other hand, people won't be interested if there's no actual final product :confused0024:

Remember, there was 45 interested parties in the last GP that fell thru, it's just that not everyone paid up quickly.........

Also, when you're paying close to $350, you want it to hold up somewhat.........

I'm not trying to be negative, just voicing my opinion :unsure:

Zack

you guys are acting like the second anything hits it it will fly off...

listen, the bumper on my white car is full fiberglass..i't's been backed into, smacked with flying objects on the freeway and not to mention bottomed out numerous times...it's still on the car and it's been 3 years.

these spoilers will be the same quality and i don't see it seeing as much abuse as a bumper does.

we'll figure something out. :)

Edited by cali

you guys are acting like the second anything hits it it will fly off...

listen, the bumper on my white car is full fiberglass..i't's been backed into, smacked with flying objects on the freeway and not to mention bottomed out numerous times...it's still on the car and it's been 3 years.

these spoilers will be the same quality and i don't see it seeing as much abuse as a bumper does.

we'll figure something out. :)

I'm sure whatever you come up with will hold up, just wanted to make sure the strength issue was brought up...... Keep us posted.

Thanks, Zack

• 2 weeks later...
I would do it, but i don't want my $500 wing flying off either ( it will sit on top of yours and be riveted to it. )

I had a wing bolted to my white car, the steel reinforcement inside the spoiler is the only thing that give it enough rigidity to support the pressure from that wing.

In response to the post with the images, no the spoiler brackets aren't just molded into the rubber, the rubber is molded around a steel plate as wide as the wing with the mounts welded to it. Trust me, I've drilled through it and I thought the same thing until I did.

Obviously there's going to be a tradeoff. I didn't buy my CF hood thinking it would be ok to sit on it just like the stock hood. My CF airdam isn't going to flex like the stocker if it hits something. You trade some durability for weight savings, you make the call what's worth sacrificing.

i've been waiting to see if there were going to be more people interested but so far nothing...and when i asked the guy about lowering the price all he said was "we'll see how many orders you get"

i'm between switching jobs so money's a little tight right now but as soon as i get up and going i'll see about buying the mold myself and going from there.

i've been waiting to see if there were going to be more people interested but so far nothing...and when i asked the guy about lowering the price all he said was "we'll see how many orders you get"

i'm between switching jobs so money's a little tight right now but as soon as i get up and going i'll see about buying the mold myself and going from there.

what mold are you thinking of buying?

I'm confident that if you make it or have someone make a quality part, the sales will follow. It's hard to judge interest without a tangible product to showcase. Look at the general sales practices of *DM and 101Propose for example. I'm not knocking you, just sharing my opinion.

Dan

the same mold can be used for fg and cf..( i think that's what you're asking?)

this thread seems to be dying off.. :(

I would bet that there are more lurkers on this thread than you think, I for one am waiting for a pic of something, I don't know many people in general who would buy something sight unseen.

"If you build it they will come."

I'd probably buy a CF if the price stayed and I could see pics and get quality specs regarding fitment, safety, mounting, etc.

For what it's worth,

Silver

I would bet that there are more lurkers on this thread than you think, I for one am waiting for a pic of something, I don't know many people in general who would buy something sight unseen.

"If you build it they will come."

I'd probably buy a CF if the price stayed and I could see pics and get quality specs regarding fitment, safety, mounting, etc.

For what it's worth,

Silver

Ditto, I'm for one have been lurking around, but, there isn't an actual product to be bought yet :hmm3grin2orange: just a lot of maybe's.........

Zack

• 2 weeks later...
in the original GP cali did ask 101 if he was willing to sell his prototype (post#286). 101 did explane that he could not make the spoilers because the supplier raised the price on him and it was not cost effective for him to continue and that was with 16 paid deposits.

i am willing to fork out the cash to be the ginni pig for "fit & finish" i realy would like this GP to go thru.

Brian

:rolleyes: