issues

hyselltech

ok guys i am having some issues, when i shift from gear to gear the car will smoke almost all the time it is coming from the turbo it only does it when it boosts up. I also noticed that the head gasket is leaking oil. Would that be the reason that the car is smoking? I am going to replace the head gasket and i would like to have the turbo rebuilt.I have never rebuilt the turbo and i was wondering if it is too hard to rebuild or i was also thinking about calling Dads shop and see if he would be able to rebuild.My question is if anybody thinks it is just the head gasket leaking causeing the turbo to smoke under bosst or should i rebuild the turbo. Also i have replaced the thermostat,replace the coolant and flushed the motor and the heater core and the car is sytill running hot, It never overheats it just runs hot at operating temp.Any info will help me but im going to get ready to tear this thing down.Thanks guys

ok guys i am having some issues, when i shift from gear to gear the car will smoke almost all the time it is coming from the turbo it only does it when it boosts up. I also noticed that the head gasket is leaking oil. Would that be the reason that the car is smoking? I am going to replace the head gasket and i would like to have the turbo rebuilt.I have never rebuilt the turbo and i was wondering if it is too hard to rebuild or i was also thinking about calling Dads shop and see if he would be able to rebuild.My question is if anybody thinks it is just the head gasket leaking causeing the turbo to smoke under bosst or should i rebuild the turbo. Also i have replaced the thermostat,replace the coolant and flushed the motor and the heater core and the car is sytill running hot, It never overheats it just runs hot at operating temp.Any info will help me but im going to get ready to tear this thing down.Thanks guys

I have never done a turbo rebuild, sri,

Where is the head leaking oil? Usually it is the valve cover or also the rear cam seal ( plug). you may need a radiator , have you verified the temp with a mech gauge?

are all fams working? Crank case breather- pcv could be a problem with smoke too.

You need to look into this a bit further.

Dad

I just bought the car two months ago and i have been fixing the issues as they come so i dont know how old the pvc valve is but the head gasket looks to be leaking right at the front and it is not leaking down from the valve cover.The oil lines are leaking at the turbo.I will be calling you in a coulpe of days dad to get the head gaskets and the arp head bolts as i want to go ahead and replace it and go though the motor anyways.Should i replace the oil breather and the pvc valve any way?Thanks for the reply.

Hey

Your valve cover is more than likey the source of your oil or the little half circle plug in the front that is under the valve cover. If you think its just the head gasket leaking in the front at the timing cover that isn't any reason to want to change a head gasket unless you are just bored. A smoky turbo doesn't mean there is anything wrong with it. Old hard valve seals can make a car smoke. You can change those with only removing the valve train, putting pressure into the cylinder via the spark plug opening and remove/install new seals in pretty short order.

Keep asking questions that's how you learn.

Keep asking questions that's how you learn.

totally!!!

Replace your PCV before you do anything, its cheap, probably needs replaced anyway, and could possible be the source of the smoke. As Indiana said, the next source would be the valve seals. You forgot to tell us how your turbo is? Shaft play? Stock? GT35R?

How clean is your motor? Usually when you have a leak the best place to start is a couple cans of degreaser and a hose. Get it as spotless as possible first, then diagnose your leak. It's way easier to spot oil on a motor when its only located in one place ;)

I cleaned the motor off and i went and looked at it a little better and it is the valve cover leaking so im going to replace it.The turbo is a 12a and it doesnt seem to have any shaft play.If i dont let the turbo spool up and shift it will not smoke.This morning on the way to work it didnt smoke at all and the car ran great.Im ghoing to replace the PCV vavle today and see what happens and in the next day or two im going to replace the vc gasket thanks alot guys you are so helpful.

Make sure you get a dealer PCV. I bought an Autozone one before and threw it away before installed (I could blow through it in both directions).

As for the radiator try contacting a local radiator shop and find out about getting it rodded. As far as aftermarket I think alot of guys use Griffen.