KYB rear struts now discontinued

I really hope you called and talked to an actual person...

Anyone who sees these on a web site should call first and speak to a salesperson to verify stock before commiting to the purchase or youll be out the funds for a week or so(ask me how I know).

I think it has been noted more than one time above. Even calling these people don't get you accurate information.

I had 3 places tell me they had them when I called and then they cancelled my order for them because they couldnt get them.

If they actually have them, great. But I am not holding my breath.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Even calling these people don't get you accurate information.

If it were me, I would explain to the salesperson the situation and that you need accurate information about their stock level. Assume they dont have them and unless they can say with absolute certainty they do have them, dont waste your time. Stick with the reputable retailers. Unfortunatly the fact is that they probably cannot be found.

Well Advance Auto is having trouble locating the rears. As KYB will say they have one side then don't. I went in today to look at water temp and oil pressure gauges. Found out my fronts came in the next day, so they have been sitting there for a while. I may have to just suck it up and buy cringe Gabriel rear struts. Edited by Jsmitty

Someone should try these out

http://i19.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/f8/64/7524_1.JPG

^^^Click Me!^^^

I figured you were going to say " I told you so". I should have known to call a rep to see if they had them in the warehouse in stock. I may end up trying those out those Monroes. Since I will be getting my credit back if Advance Auto if they don't hear anything by Monday. Just debating if I should refund those front KYB excel-g's I have sitting in my garage now.

I can't find that that those struts on Monroe's actual website.

Edited by Jsmitty

I told you so!!!! :lol:

Let us know if you pick those up. I think its says in the description he has more of them in stock.

LOL, I am trying to see if someone local I met will let me buy their SHP strut assemblies off one of their 3 parts cars they have out back.

Is gabriel and monroe the same thing? Sorry if its a stupid question... I never really looked into them(ever, for any vehicle).

For the price the gabriels seem like a good stock replacement. I just don't know how reliable they would be over time, probably something you wouldn't want to use if you would want to slam the car on coilovers.

46.99 each for the fronts

77.99 each for the rears

Edited by Jsmitty

• 3 weeks later...
Well I finally have both rear struts. Got the left from Rockauto, and Advance Auto got the last one from KYB warehouse. I returned the last left one from Carquest warehouse today since it was my backup plan. Edited by Jsmitty

Not sure how good Gabriel struts are, but their strut tower isolators are junk -- literally. As in, when we let the car down off the rack, the struts nearly punched through the tops of the isolators because the rubber portion was defectively soft.

Let's hope they've fixed that in recent years.

Jess

Not sure how good Gabriel struts are, but their strut tower isolators are junk -- literally. As in, when we let the car down off the rack, the struts nearly punched through the tops of the isolators because the rubber portion was defectively soft.

Jess

Everyone knows to use OEM isolators right???

Jess

Gabriel fronts are very soft for a stock set up. Its like riding in a grandmas 85 Cutlass.

However the are good for drag racing because of the weight transfer to the back.

And some people were saying with coil-overs and totiko's or kyb's their ride was too stiff so the gabriels might be better in conjunction with

a lowered ride with stiffer springs or coil-overs, but yeah they are softer than the OEM shocks I believe.

Everyone knows to use OEM isolators right???

If you can find them. The first time I ordered them (around 2002), they came out of Chicago and there were a bunch left. The second time I ordered some (around 2005-2006), one came from Chicago (the last one they had) and another from Seattle. The dealership in Chicago said they were backordered from Japan with no date showing for refill. They're running out fast.

We're all going to be using custom front camber plates/mounting brackets in the future. The Gabriel isolators, in my opinion, may not be safe. They certainly aren't acceptable in my book.

It also sounds like we need to get cracking on a shadetree solution for struts.

Jess