need help really lost

hyselltech

On monday was driving car(87 quest) headlights on and my dash lights flickered and my volt meter dropped from 14 to twelve and my batt. light and brake light came on then went off.The volt meter just continued to dropped then it finally ran out of battery life and stoped running.It was like the alternator went out.So i buy a new alternator installed it and it is still doing it.It will run if you charge the battery until battery dies and when it is running if you unhook the battery it will die just like the alternator is not charging.I really need to get this car running as it is my only car any help would be really great.I dont have a manual as i was going to get one when i got a couple of things fixed.Thanks guys please a little help!

The battery will read twelve volts when i charge it up and it will drop when the car is running.The alternator is just not charging.It is a brand new alt. not a rebuild.Is there a fuse or breaker for the alternator?I am so lost it is not funny i am stumped at what it could be.

Just off of the positive battery cable is a little black box with a stud and a nut that ties into a beefy wire that leads to the alt. That first stretch of wire off the cable is a fusible link. Check to make sure that link is still good. DO NOT just replace it with a piece of wire, get the correct link for it.

I carry those black links if you need one.

If thats bad you better clean up al the connections for the links.

Dad