Anyone ever bought a bench grinder from HF?

Whiplash

I'm past due on getting a bench grinder after my shop was broken into a few years ago in memphis. Mine was antique anyways. Harbor Freight has several to choose from. Just wondering if anyone has any feedback on them. Any tips for which one? All comments taken with an open mind. Edited by Whiplash

Harbor Freight is cheap Chineese crap. You get almost what you pay for. Typically, the higher the price, the more longevity you can expect to see.

All that being said, I have several HF products in the garage. Most work just fine, and do the jobs I purchased them for. I do expect that if I begin to abuse them tho, that I will need to find a replacement.

If you are short on cash and need one, I say go for it. If you want something that will be around for years of service, spend a little more and get something better made.

JR

if save your money and buy a better one.. we have a harbor freight bench grinder and it sucks.. you put any kind of pressure on it and it bogs right down to nothing... cant even really grind rust off a bolt without it bogging down lol..

I bought another one from menards for about $50 thats pretty damn nice compaired to that pile i got from HF

Harbor Freight is cheap Chineese crap. You get almost what you pay for. Typically, the higher the price, the more longevity you can expect to see.

All that being said, I have several HF products in the garage. Most work just fine, and do the jobs I purchased them for. I do expect that if I begin to abuse them tho, that I will need to find a replacement.

If you are short on cash and need one, I say go for it. If you want something that will be around for years of service, spend a little more and get something better made.

JR

That’s some what true. On the Cheap stuff. Not all is Cheap though. Some of there stuff is very good in fact I have not seen or used some stuff that was better. I like my AL 2.5ton jack got it for 200 some years ago no longer make it but any how I have bought LOTS of stuff there. I would not buy all their socket set from them but I have bought at lest 10 impact type ones and yes they will wear out but say you don't have an impact I would dare say you would never need to replace them. I have bought air tools from them at lest 16 in fact I have only 2 others not from them. I have bought a few bench grinders from them all of them worked great I would not buy a cheaper one though from them I would buy one of the more expensive ones. DON'T buy a Vise from them I have tried at lest 4 all broke the same day I bought them I end up Wield it back together and worked much better they were not very strong at all.

More or less don't get there cheap stuff get the best they have and it seems to hold up well.

Edited by TainterRacing

I bought a mini die grinder from HF once. It let me grind one headlight housing on my truck before it took a crap. Now all I go there for is to laugh at the "contractors" that buy tools there.

I have the 8in one and I've polished and grinded many many things and it has yet to fail.

Also, if your get HF tools... just buy the 5 dollar warranty for a year or even do 2 years... they will replace it even if it's not broke.. ;)

There is also a NEW Northern Tool that opened down the street from HF. Never bought from them. Would their goods be about the same, or better?

Northern Tool is a different ball game. They have quality stuff at pretty good prices but nowhere near as cheap as HF.

With HF it is true that you get what you pay for. I have a lot of tools from them but only tools that I don't use often.

I use my grinder maybe once a month. I've used better and faster but I can deal with it once a month.

They are good for things like radiator pressure testers and vacuum testers also.

I agree alot of HF stuff is crap. Hand tools like wrenches you can bend with your hands. A fuel injection pressure tester broke the first time I used it. Impacs are worthless.

Jack stands, floor jack, saw saw, 10inch buffer, large blast cabinet (other than the light), I've had good luck with.

I'll be visiting Northern Tools today!

a fair grinder is gona run you $50 to $75 no matter where you buy it,, what do you expect for $20

my 8" 3/4 hp i have had for 6 years out side and have had no trouble out of it , HF of course , if you look you will find the exact same tools many times at lowe's for more $

I agree alot of HF stuff is crap. Hand tools like wrenches you can bend with your hands. A fuel injection pressure tester broke the first time I used it. Impacs are worthless.

Jack stands, floor jack, saw saw, 10inch buffer, large blast cabinet (other than the light), I've had good luck with.

I'll be visiting Northern Tools today!

http:Impack I got

Thats the inpact I have had for a long time use it all the time works great. You just cant go there and get a Cheap any thing.