turbo upgrade / replacement

bmwmike

on my 87 quest i am getting alot of oil into my intake tube . the turbo neess a rebuild or replacement . the mods i have on my car are 2.5 downpipe 2.5 exhuast all the way back . k&n filter 88 ecu . what do you guys suggest fro a replacement? im not looking to go broke i would like to replace the turbo or rebuild it. most likley rather just purchase a new one sems like the shops by me that rebuild turbos arent any good. what would you guys do? Edited by bmwmike

Guys, don't forget to mention the diff. between the Super16g and the regular 16g.

The super is best used from 10psi - 20+ psi., and has a bit less early power, meaning lag. Better for top end highway speed.

The regular 16g comes on strong from the beginning, but fades as the psi is raised. Best up until around 17psi or so. Less top end. Great for stoplight to stoplight driving.

The super has different fin shape in the inducer wheel. Both are direct bolt ons. Keep in mind that the stock fuel system won't support much beyond 15psi boost without leaning out.

You'll need a Blow Off Valve (BOV) with either since they push more cfm than the stocker and you'll get compressor surge. A rebuild is probably the best option for the money, plus you know you can trust it vs. a used one from whoever. That said I've got a used 16g to sell. It's heavily ported and spools hella fast. Never any problems. Best of luck.

I had the EVO3 turbo, but it wasn't a direct bolt-on. I like my 12a, since it works fairly well. Going for a bigger turbo is always fun though. I can't wait until I put my newer EVO3 back on with the 12a shaft side.

I had the EVO3 turbo, but it wasn't a direct bolt-on. I like my 12a, since it works fairly well. Going for a bigger turbo is always fun though. I can't wait until I put my newer EVO3 back on with the 12a shaft side.

i think the 16 g might be a bit much for me im just looking for somthing slightly better than stock and is good around town. would a 14 be good for my needs? also is the 14 a direct bolt on? i think 12 psi is fine for me if infact i did raise it.