Got my car dyno'd.

acidbath

So I went to get my AFC-Neo installed today and got my car tuned. I have the stock 12a, 3" DP, 3" exhaust, no cats.. OVCP with BOV.. AHP, with the intake modified... along with the AFC-Neo installed and tuned..

I put down 173-176HP with 210lbs of tq. to the wheels on the best run. Not bad for a mostly stock car! I'll upgrade my turbo later and see what kinds of power gains I can get.

I'll post up the dyno sheet once the guy who tuned my car e-mails it to me.

Edited by acidbath

Just curious, its been a while since I've seen a 12a but from what I remember the exhaust outlet

is not 3" it's more like 1.75 or 2.25 max. Going that much bigger isnt going to increase your power.

It helps spool time. I remember when I first got my 3" *DM TBE it would fuel cut when I got on boost, whereas the stock exhaust would have to be in a higher gear, and sometimes wouldn't cut at all. And you're right about the size.

acidbath - what boost?

I had the S16G EVO III turbo on before, but it blew, so that's why I had to revert back to my 12a.

I got this done at Imports Automotive in Walnut Creek.

Isn't stock psi 10 on a 88 car?

Correction, it was at 7psi. I haven't upped the boost in my car, when installing the 3" dp/exhaust.. a buddy of mine actually lowered it I believe. I'm still awaiting the e-mail with the dyno sheet.

Yeah, 7psi does seem low, they dyno'd it when it was w/o the AFC and it was 170hp with 200tq and with it I gained approximately 5hp and 10lbs.

Nope, still running stock injectors. I keep hearing mixed reviews about upgrading my injectors.. and how some brands are really not compatible.. do I really need to upgrade injectors while running with my 12a? Do you have any suggestions? In the near future, when my S16G is rebuilt, I plan on slapping it back on.

Just curious, its been a while since I've seen a 12a but from what I remember the exhaust outlet

is not 3" it's more like 1.75 or 2.25 max. Going that much bigger isnt going to increase your power.

Is it easier to blow though a small diameter straw, or a large one? The large one is easier regardless of the size of your mouth. This works in reverse too where the mouth is smaller, the large straw will still be easier to blow though.

Larger exhaust is always better than a smaller one in a turbo aplication. A turbo works of a pressure differntial at teh outlet of the turbine wheel. Anything you can do to reduce back pressure after the turbine will increase power.

Those are great numbers, RWHP stock is about 137 on the 87's and about 148 on the 88/89's.

Sweet, thanks Chad. I always wondered how much power our cars produced bone stock. Just to let you guys know why I chose the 3" exhaust, I got it when Kelly had a group purchase and $288 shipped for an exhaust/dp set up is pretty cheap. I bought this keeping in mind that I would be upgrading the turbo in the future. I don't want to go horsepower crazy because I do fear my engine will blow up under high pressure, but I would some day like to reach 250hp.

Depends on the dyno, but with an evo3 s16g you could easily get 250, maybe even with the stock injectrons. If you have the AFC, you can use two secondaries and just lean it out down low.

You should get a maf translator setup and put it inline after the intercooler. that would be awesome.

Ah, I'm very n00b when it comes to these things. I'm no mechanic and learning is the only thing I can do. So when you say MAF-T, what exactly would I need? The translator itself or other components? I still have to put the hardpipes on for the intercooler, they're sitting in my garage.. can't seem to find a welder who'd weld on the end pieces for me. I need to send that EVO3 turbo to Kelly to get rebuilt, I've just been busy with other stuff and paying bills is my #1 concern, then #2 is the Starion. lol. Edited by acidbath

Walnut creek! What the heck, i've never even heard of that place. Shoulda called me. I would have came out and had mine done at the same time :hmm3grin2orange: . Do you know how much just a dyno run is? And whats there address? Edited by BOOSTED88tsi

Hahah, I was tempted to call you but I thought you might've been busy since it is a Saturday. It's on 2400[something] Monument Blvd. The guy there was really nice and has a 500whp Civic. Me and him talked about cars for a bit. His name is Carlos. I paid $250 to get the afc installed, and dyno tuned. I didn't think that was a bad deal considering nobody in my town wanted to touch my car. Lol.

Ah, I see. Awesome. Someday, when I don't use my car as a daily driver.. I'll go for MPI. As for now, I'm just doing these basic bolt-ons to get some power out of my engine.

**Is it easier to blow though a small diameter straw, or a large one? The large one is easier regardless of the size of your mouth. This works in reverse too where the mouth is smaller, the large straw will still be easier to blow though.

I never really thought of it like that Chad. Makes since.