need help

carchick

so i am new to the whole conquest thing... i was traded an 87 tsi with minor issues im not exactly sure what is going on... when i put my foot on the gas it seems that the car doesnt want to push anything. if you lightly touch the gas it will go but slowly... it wont push any boosted and im about half tempted to just sell it if you have any ideas that might help please let me know thank you

so i am new to the whole conquest thing... i was traded an 87 tsi with minor issues im not exactly sure what is going on... when i put my foot on the gas it seems that the car doesnt want to push anything. if you lightly touch the gas it will go but slowly... it wont push any boosted and im about half tempted to just sell it if you have any ideas that might help please let me know thank you

Well, welcome to the family. These cars are great cars but you have to have patience. It could be a few things. IT could be bad injectors, injector clips, clog downpipe and or cat. I would start with the injectors. Don't sell

there are a few members in your area that will lend a hand..Welcome aboard

Welcome aboard.

Don't sell, I think you'll find these cars are awesome. Handles better than any other car I've had the privelige of driving.

There are quite a few things that could be wrong, but not enough info to help pinpoint your issue.

With that in mind, I'll go down the list from the most common.

By far, the most common drivability problems are ignition related. Check the ignition system. I'd look first at the vac advance to make sure it works properly...yes, it's part of the ignition system. Got good plugs? Gapped correctly? Coil, ignitor box cases well grounded? Coil up to snuff?

Injector clips are next. Good clean and tight connections are a MUST. If it won't rev above 3000 rpm (or thereabouts) the secondary injector isn't firing or faulty/clogged. Once clips are unplugged from injector (one at a time), key on, one clip should have 12 volts...the other is ground supplied by the ECU.

Check vac lines. Good lines, no leaks. Plugged in where they belong. If you are unsure where they go, there's a sticker underhood or you can find it in this sites manual at starquestgarage.com

Check fuel filters, lines, pump and fuel pressure.

Could also be a leak in the airpipes, I/C, collapsing acordion hose. Even a dirty air filter.

Various sensors could be faulty/ dirty connections. Common warm engine run issues usually is the CTS (Coolant Temp Sensor). ECU case needs a good ground.

Could also be a clog in the exhaust. Typically the pre cat. Wastegate not functioning correctly or faulty turbo could be why it won't boost.

Seems quite a list, I know, but without further info, I tried to cover everything it could be.

Dont worry about it too much because you are probably going to rebuild anyway,but whatever you do dont sell your car for those problems the car is easy to work on trust me. you also need to get the shop manual asap from the dealer, the more you learn the easier the car is.

The "squesters" here will get you up to par. Dont dispair.

If you press the gas slowly and the car will rev up, but press it quick and it falls on its face is normally an indication of a bad secondary injector or dirty/corroded inj. clip and prongs. Relace the clips and clean the prongs.

If you need to view the Factory Service Manual, you can access it at Starquestgarage

Ignore the home page that says it is still under construction. Scroll on down to Service Manuals.

jimmy