First start up with new turbo

Whats up guys,

Well im verry excited to get my T3/T4 back form rebulding and its time to put it on and have fun

I have a few questions on installation, pre start up, 1st start, after 1st start, maintance, and how long before i can push it hard

Ok, here goes my first Q, what shoud i look forward to while installing, anything i need to do to make shure that my turbo will give me a long healthy life out of it?

Ok, My second Q is about pre start, Before i start it up what should i do, how do i prep the car up for a first start

Third question, How should the first start go, I know im not supposed to drive it and just let it idle for aobut 20-30 mins, other than that what else do i do

4th Q, what do i have to do after my first start? do i change the oil? check the lines...what else

5th, what kind of maintance do i have to do shortly after running the car?

...And my last queston...whats the break in time? how do i break in the turbo and how long do i have to wait before i can see what she relly can do?

any help or suggestions would help me out alot, i have my dads frend hellping me out and he is a good mechanic, so any tips would help...thanks guys and im relly excited to get this thing back on the road :D

priming is definately a must. I think installing it, putting the oil drain line on then filling the center housing and rotating the turbo by hand. you definately dont want it to start up dry. then crank for a bit to get oil pressure without ignition( i like to unhook the injectors as well). then let the car idle for 15mins or so would be the next step. Personally i would take it easy on the turbo for the first few miles just to make sure you dont hear anything unusual but i dont know that there is a certain time period for break in. its not like an engine where you have wear surfaces, hopefully there isnt any wear surface in your turbo :wink:

just as with any thing that has brgs,,give it a little time to wear in, settle down befor you go beat the snot out of it

it like guys starting their engine with no exh on the car,,just how are you supose'd to hear a problem if you have one till it's too late :oops:

Remove the oil feed line and the coil wire. Crank the engine in short bursts. When you see oil come out of the oil supply line to the turbo, reconnect the line to the turbo and coil wire and fire it up.

CALIBER 308

• 2 weeks later...
geting a long life out of your new turbo and high boost just don't go togather ,all turbo's have a normal boost limit that was design'd into them for a long life , take our 12a @10boost it'l last 100k miles but at 18 lbs it may only last 6 months ,, same applys to all turbo's you go arround boosting 20 lbs+ don't be expecting any long life out of any of them