no start again

1980Gbody

i just got home had to go do some running around

for now i just got some champions if it starts and that was the problem ill order some ngks and do a good tune up on it wiht msd wires and so on but for now ill see what happens wiht it

it has a choppy crank

ill throw plugs in it tomarow wiht some starting fluid and let eveyone kno whats goin on

is there a timing mark on the crank pully so i can check it with a gun just incase the timings off

Timing mark's on the pulley. Just a little notch. You might rub a little white out in it to you know what to look for when the car's running. Don' load it with starting fluid until you've tried without it. BTW, in my honest opinion, Champion plugs are the worst plugs ever made, doesn't matter the application, doesn't matter which grade. I've had 'em dead right out of the box, I've had 'em dead in 20 minutes of run time.

I've painted the timing mark with a high impact color like flourecent orange, day glo red on my cars from way back...makes it very easy to see.

I sure hope you ordered the NGKs.

I've used Champions on many of my cars for years without a problem, but NGKs are best for this engine.

another thing to check would be any leaking of the windshield. i found that my widshield has been leaking and the wiring under the dash has been getting wet as a result. still not sure if it was getting into the ecu yet. if you have this leak it could be shorting the injectors like it was in mine.just a thought.

no leak, i still have no clue whats goin on wiht this thing i dont think its the timing could it be compression whats should the compresion read on these cars i kno the piston rings might be goin bad in it

You sprayed starting fluid in and it fired...your ignition should be good to go then.

Unplug the clips from the injectors...one injector/ do this test/ plug in the clips and check the other.

After unplugging injector clips...key on...verify 12 volts on one of the wires...the other is ground from the ECU. The ECU case needs to be well grounded. If it has 12 volts...then check the rest of the fuel system after making sure the injector clips and where they connect are clean and tight.

If there isn't 12 volts...then trace it back to power source looking for bad/ dirty connections or broken wire.

There is a fuel pump test wire near the airbox if you need to check for pump operation.

Good luck

i need to buy a multi meter tommarow and if this checks out to be alight were do i go from there

would bad piston rings cause this i kno from when it was up n running if u pull of the oil fill cap u can feel compresion blow out from it is that normal

Check the injector voltage and clips for clean and tight connections...then go on from there. You need to determine the injectors can fire from the electrical side. This checks...then check things like fuel filters, pump operation, injectors are firing etc.

One thing at a time.

Air coming from the oil fill could be the PCV valve is clogged/ not functioning properly or lines/ parts/ passages for the crankcase vent system.

The only other way comp pressure can come out the oil fill is a cracked head/ bad head gasket or a bad/ bent/ burnt valve, valve seat or valve guide.

Being as it fired with starting fluid, it has enough comp pressure to run. And it verifies ignition is good enough to fire.

Only 2 things left...fuel and air...again..it fired with starting fluid...so we can say air delivery is ok. That leaves fuel system.

i got it running just took it out for a drive i fed it some starting fluid for 10 second then stopped and it stayed running

Really? Sweet! You have officially become a member of SQC now that you have experienced a quirk :lol:

Seriously though, you'll come to find out that there will be issues on this car that will randomly come up, and just as randomly, fix themselves. I don't get it sometimes.