trans rebuild question

rauriarte

hey wondering if anyone know where I can get an upgraded performance trans rebuild kit with a shift kit looking to make big boost on my 88 auto but now it slipping when it hits 14 lbs. of boost hope someone can help me need this soon let me know Thanks Rich

I'm sure you will hear from guys on here that can tell you where to get a rebuild kit, but the so called "shift kit" is just a modification that you do to the valve body, I don't think you'll find a "kit" for it, I have done several VB mods for members on this site, including my own.

There's 3 levels you can go with, firm shifts, harder shifts, and all out strip, so far everyone I have built one for has wanted the all out balls to wall version :lol: although the latest member who has ask me to build one wants the mild version, this is great because I want to know how it feels!

Anyway it works really good in case you haven't read any of the posts about it, I have actually chirped the tires going to 3rd! much to the disbelief of some members, and this mod will actually make your tranny last longer, because there's less slippage with a hard shifting trans, you just need to make sure the rest of your drive line is up to it, I can almost guaranty you will break a u-joint if there old and crusty with the VB mod, so I always suggest putting new ones on when I set one up.

Rob

The Keas VB? never heard of it, fill me in, what do they cost?

And yes, I'm in the process of doing the 4th or 5th one, I could do more as time allows, I don't just throw in some parts and call them modded, I take them completely apart, clean everything to where you could eat off of it, and then preform the modifications, from doing so many I have gotten real good at it, and have gotten some tips from old trans experts, I also have collected old spares to experiment on, I'm turning into Dr valve body! :lol:

this is the response from keas about tranny parts for the 88-89(compatible with all years??).

I'm assuming your transmission is L4N71B.

We offer a Stage III Kit that sharpens the shifts up somewhat. It's limited to around 14psi of engine boost.

The Stage III Kit is DYI. It comes with Instructions and stuff. Modified Factory Separator Plate Kit (when plates are available) $44.00. Billet Separator Kit $88.00

Next up is the Full Manual. It is a Forward Pattern unit that has engine braking in all gears and 4th gear is activated via a 12V signal.

The Full Manual is a complete Valve Body Assembly $450.00

If your from the Continental US of A then we have a distributor in Florida.

Paul

keas

Well I got an e-mail back from them and it just sounds like they tell you where to drill the holes and then tell you where to put a heavier spring, it sounded kind of like he would give me the diagram if I gave him my address.

but I already know all that stuff, and the way I learned to do the mod was with spacers to make the spring(s) stiffer, not a stiffer spring, so I don't know.

I also wrote back and ask them if they sell any rebuild kits.

keep us posted balt. If your willing next spring-ish, Id like to have you do some magic with mine. No way can I afford a rebuild this year :? .

I also need a good source for the rebuild kits. Ive seen stuff listed at rockauto.com but Im not too sure what I need.

BaltTSI:

I need to get with you on at least one rebuild of one of my auto trannys. I have a brother that lives in Rising Sun, so I could slip up there and drop it off and return later when all the magic is done. Concerning an auto tranny class, I would second that request since that is one of the few things I have never done to a car.

John86TSi

Hey John, I wouldn't want to try and rebuild anyone else's transmission at this point, I have had mine apart changing the OD band, but I wouldn't want to work on anyone else's, I don't have the experience.

All I can confidently do right now if modify the valve bodies, I've gotten real good at this, but that's only if someone takes it out and sends it to me.

Rebuilding one? I have been thinking about this, what you have in there that needs "rebuilding" would be 1, replacing a bunch of clutch packs. 2, replacing some bands, similar to a brake shoe, and then 3, a bunch of seals, and then just cleaning everything real good, short of actually breaking a gear or something else hard in there thats about all a rebuild would be, but oh man are there a lot of parts in there! just replacing my OD band was scary, I bought a used tranny just to have it as a reference just in case I couldn't figure out how something went back together, and believe me, I needed it.

I tell ya what though, from the VBs I have seen I bet a lot of auto tranny problems are just clogged up passage ways, and clutch pack and band material getting clogged up in there, I just got one from a member on here from his original 80K mile Quest, he's the 1st owner, and it's the cleanest one I have seen, this Quest looks like it was taken care of, and it looks like it's an 80K tranny, hey! I can tell the age of a car by there valve bodies! :lol: