Quick MPI lesson

Ok, besides reading a few posts and knowing this is beyond me at this point, I understand it adds more fuel and makes it burn more effectively but what does it take to do and cost obviously has a part in it. thanks

Ok, besides reading a few posts and knowing this is beyond me at this point, I understand it adds more fuel and makes it burn more effectively but what does it take to do and cost obviously has a part in it. thanks

Its all about efficiency. Period.

MPI is leaps and bound more efficient over TBI or carb'd.

That's the entire basis for the swap.

The air traveles though the runners more easily, and mixes better with the fuel, both lead to more efficency > greater power from a given input.

the stock TBI has a threshold which prohibits power to be made beyond a certain air flow, this threshold is much higher on a good MPI design.

Man you just need to search the MPI forum. We aren't going to spell it out and price it out for you, its all on here you just have to find it. Search works GREAT now with the new site as of a month ago so take advantage of it!

The old site had 7 pages of mpi threads, dont' know how many pages it changed over to with the new format. Just read thru all of them and you'll come out an expert.

Man you just need to search the MPI forum. We aren't going to spell it out and price it out for you, its all on here you just have to find it. Search works GREAT now with the new site as of a month ago so take advantage of it!

The old site had 7 pages of mpi threads, dont' know how many pages it changed over to with the new format. Just read thru all of them and you'll come out an expert.

Every post from the last board transfered over.

I'd put a least 2-2500K aside for a MPI swap.

It aint cheap.

$700 intake

$1451 SDS

$300 72lb injectors

$200 an fittings/lines

$75 for hall sensor bracket and modification to pulley

$50ish for solid crank pulley.

So, about 2800 just in the MPI part. Look like I spent well over $4500 all together. :?

I think I spent mid 4K but that was all the bells and whistles to go along with a what hoped to be a high horespower'd mpi car.

Oh I hear ya..I spent WELL over $2500...but I didn't cut any corners either...

Hang in there man... I've been in the same boat and now I think I finally got the winning combo... ;)

It taken me 10 years to get to where I am... :)

I was able to do my setup for $1232, but no bells and whistles. I went for more of a basic setup. I just wanted a more reliable setup then the old TBI system. Plus I got few more horses in the deal.

1st GP Magna intake - $380

1st GP SDS fuel only ecu - $610

rx7 turbo II injectors - $80

everything else - $162

total - $1232

So basically, I'm running the magna with SDS fuel only ecu and the stock ignition system with a MSD box.

Took me 6 years to get my MPI car to it's current level and I'm still not done with it. I've been playing with starquest's for over 15 years now.

ok I"ll take this as a hint and keep reading , thanks. my bad - really though I'm SO new right now and I had no idea it was so involved so it's cool and I'll get there eventually. thanks

ok I"ll take this as a hint and keep reading , thanks. my bad - really though I'm SO new right now and I had no idea it was so involved so it's cool and I'll get there eventually. thanks

Hey we all have been new at one point.

We'll all try to help as best we can...that's why we got this forum! ;)

wow, thats a lot of cash just for MPI

Not really, MPI alone is worth the cost... Add up what you have in your mods and I bet it's close to 1500 if not more. Even with those mods, a roughly tuned MPI will make higher numbers with that same turbo, than what you could pull....

Not really, MPI alone is worth the cost... Add up what you have in your mods and I bet it's close to 1500 if not more. Even with those mods, a roughly tuned MPI will make higher numbers with that same turbo, than what you could pull....

Plus you get all updated sensors, injectors, electronics, wiring, etc...for what 1 stock injector costs I can get 4 new Bosch Style injectors alone.

It really isn't cheap to do the swap...you almost gotta just love the car to wanna do it to be honest. :)

Plus you get all updated sensors, injectors, electronics, wiring, etc...for what 1 stock injector costs I can get 4 new Bosch Style injectors alone.

It really isn't cheap to do the swap...you almost gotta just love the car to wanna do it to be honest. :)

But that's what it's all about anyways, for the love of the cars.... Sure I could go buy a DSM or a Silvia conversion, crap maybe even turbo a Honda, but they are a dime a dozen. How many SQ's do you see out there producing 300 plus hp at the wheels and still have room to grow? Not many. Take a look at Art's dyno graphs that he recently produced. He has 300 plus hp from 5k to 7k, if he gets a better turbo suited to his engine he'll be able to pull alot higher numbers, simply because of the fact that the turbo doesn't spool and create high boost until his prime rpms are almost out the window .... I dunno, I do this for fun and for love of these cars, not because I want to make huge power. If I wanted that, I would've been else where and spent countless thousands on another project... But here I am, and standing proud to be the owner of a 2.6l SOHC MPI conversion...

Wow, I just went out on a tangent there.... But you get my point.