EDIS & Stock Tach Fix

This may also apply to other DIS systems -

With the stock tach wire hooked up to PIP, mine was jumpy and NEVER worked at high RPM. The fix is to simply remove the capacitor filter inline on the stock wiring harness (the little gold module). Poof, it works great now.

My thoery here is the PIP signal (which does NOT need a filter because it's not subject to the primary voltage spikes) is too weak to pass filtering under some conditions.

Lots of folks have used a couple zener diodes on the actual coil pack to simulate the kickback voltage from a good old single coil, which I'm sure works fine, but this is a much simpler solution.

EDIS technical specs:

http://www.dainst.com/info/edis/edis.html

Megaquirt Related:

http://www.megasquirt.info/ms2/EDIS.htm

its the thicker blackwire with a white stripe right?

what does it need to go to to make the stock tach work? as in what terminal where, like the negative on the coil or????

its the thicker blackwire with a white stripe right?

what does it need to go to to make the stock tach work? as in what terminal where, like the negative on the coil or????

The thicker blackwire with a white stripe is the +12volt to the stock coil.

The tach wire is the one from the little gold metal can.

ED

• 2 years later...

Bring an old post back from the dead here.

One question someone maybe able to answer. Is the mod to be done with the stock computer still hooked up or not or it can be both?

I tried it and my factory ECU is pulled. I get nothing to the dash tach from the PIP wire.

Shawn

I tried it both ways and get no tach from the PIP. Pagemo had the same results. I don't understand why it works for some and not for others. We even built the handy-dandy circuit and that doesn't do it either.

I tried it both ways and get no tach from the PIP. Pagemo had the same results. I don't understand why it works for some and not for others. We even built the handy-dandy circuit and that doesn't do it either.

Interesting and sucky! What did you do to get it to work? Or did you install an aftermarket tach?

I tried using the IDM, which said it may work. It didn't work at all.

One thing I noticed what where researching the EDIS, some guys were complaining of a 6000RPM limit built into the EDIS4 module. They went through a few new ones till they found one that wasn't limited.

The one I have is the same number as the one other guys were using without the limit. I'm wondering if this has something to do with it not working for the tach. I doubt it though. I'm wondering if I'll have to use a tach adapter.

Shawn

• 2 weeks later...